Green Lantern #23 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bjread View Post
    Anyone who says Tan's art isn't good must have thought Mahnke's was horrible. This art we have now is miles better than what we've had since Reis left. But this issue did have some bad panels....particularly page 1.
    That's not a high bar for me. Mahnke is one of my least favorite artists. The only artist I'd like less is Rob Liefeld. So yeah, Tan missed a few beats but at least he doesn't draw man women and cookie-cutter, square-jawed men.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      The only artist I'd like less is Rob Liefeld.

I can't believe you just said that!!!

Comment

It's a style thing. I know Mahnke is very popular but I just don't like his work (with the exceptions of bizarre aliens and detailed machinery). Just like a lot of people don't like Finch, or Burnham or McGuinness although they're all popular. The two artists I don't like that generally seem to be well regarded are Mahnke and George Perez.

Comment

I don’t mind Mahnke's alien designs, but his human designs always seemed a little bit too realistic to me (or maybe too cartoony I can’t decide).

Comment

The two artists I don't like that generally seem to be well regarded are Mahnke and George Perez.

Comment

The two artists I don't like that generally seem to be well regarded are Mahnke and George Perez.

Comment

Originally posted by bjread View Post
                Anyone who says Tan's art isn't good must have thought Mahnke's was horrible. This art we have now is miles better than what we've had since Reis left. But this issue did have some bad panels....particularly page 1.
                seconded!!!

It's all a matter of styles. Mahnke's style was perfect for Blackest Night, zombie's and monsters but for a book like Green Lantern I prefer a style like Alan Davis. Darryl Banks and now my all time favorite GL artist Ivan Reis. For me Tan is closer to that than Mahnke is. Not knocking Doug's art just not how I like my Green Lantern's illustrated. There is a certain artistic style that works (for me) on Legion of Super Heroes as well. It's all personal opinion like favorite toppings on a pizza.

Comment

I agree with Dave, Chosenone85, that I preferred Mahnke's art over Tan. However, as others have stated, it is a stylistic thing. I think that a solid story, character development, etc, is far more important to me. Otherwise, I could just buy portraits or individual pieces.

Although I would have liked to have Tomasi switch to GL main, I do think that the new team has to be given a couple issues particularly with the mess that would left for them to work with. I'm probably showing my age, but maybe they could have Hal wake up in bed ala Ronny Reagan puppet from Genesis Land of Confusion video and we can pretend pretty much of the last 10-15 years was a bad dream???

Comment

Ha! DC Follies! I'm old too!

Comment

I have to say, Mahnke is an acquired taste. It took me awhile to appreciate what made him what he was. I think a lot of it is that he did everything else but Sinestro either par or sub-par. But fuck shit, did Sinestro look perfect being drawn by Mahnke. His rendition of Sinestro is probably my favorite, which is why I give him so much slack in other areas he was lacking.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Manhke is one of my favorite comic artists, so I'm trying to give Billy Tan a fair shake. Unfortunately, his faces and weird body shapes are still leftover from his tendencies on Avengers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Anyone doubting that George Perez can't produce bad art hasn't picked up Worlds' Finest or his new52 Superman stint.

Comment

Ah, George Perez on his worst day is still better than most artists on their best.

Comment

I really enjoyed the issue. In fact, I've started buying GL, GLNG, Larfleeze, and RL every month using the DC iPad app. Great series!

Comment

Everything BUT GLC? That one is the best one out of all five titles.

Comment

Working...
                                X