Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, but what about Black Lightening?
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• DAN DIDIO REVEALS THE FUTURE OF FUTURE QUEST
      Jeff Parker and Evan Shaner’s “Future Quest” has been one of the standouts of DC Comics’ Hanna-Barbera line — it doesn’t reimagine the concepts as much as “The Flintstones” or “Scooby Apocalypse,” but has received acclaimed for its contemporary take on many classic animated adventure shows, from Jonny Quest to Space Ghost and many more lesser-known characters.

Naturally, fans were worried when the solicitation text for April’s “Future Quest” #12 revealed that it’d be the series’ last issue — though Parker assured fans via Twitter that more news on the series was on the way. At least part of that news was revealed by DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio in this CBR-exclusive outtake from this week’s edition of the “DC All Access” web series, where it’s revealed that the individual characters and teams featured in “Future Quest” will return for their own stories, in an anthology-type series DiDio refers to (seemingly unofficially) as “Future Quest Presents.”

“We’re taking what we did with ‘Future Quest,’ and actually turning it more into an anthology book,” DiDio said in the “DC All Access” clip. “While the first series, the 12-part story that opens it up, features all of the characters together, now we’re going to break them out a little bit. It’ll be more like ‘Future Quest Presents,’ and we’ll have three issues of Johnny Quest, or Herculoids, or Birdman, or Space Ghost, or the Impossibles — all the characters that are in there, we’re going to try to bring out and give them their own spotlight, and give them a chance to open up and breathe under their own right. We’re hoping to see that be able to grow more stories and more series for us.”

It’s not yet known when “Future Quest” will return in its new form, or what creators will be involved — but with both WonderCon in Anaheim and Fan Expo Dallas this weekend, and C2E2 in Chicago later this month, news could be coming soon. Keep reading CBR for the latest.

In the meantime, the “Adam Strange/Future Quest Annual” is on sale this Wednesday, March 29, from DC Comics, by the team of writers Jeff Parker and Marc Andreyko and artist Steve Lieber, with a “Top Cat” back-up story by Dan DiDio and Phil Winslade; one of four DC/Hanna-Barbera crossover annuals on sale this week. “Future Quest” #12 is scheduled for release on April 26.

Comment

• I might still drop Future Quest entirely at the natural breaking point of the end of the current title. I'm enjoying it, but I really was getting it in hopes that it could be another comic to share with my kids, and they just aren't interested. I'm finding it difficult to share my love of comics with the next generation, sadly. Now the only one I can get them to read reliably is Scooby-Doo Team-Up.

Comment

• Comment

• DC has cancelled Doom Patrol #7-9 and will resolicit them at a later date.

Comment

• Damn. The delays finally became to much to catch up to. DC is doing the right thing by resoliciting these issues later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                Damn. The delays finally became to much to catch up to. DC is doinh the right thing by resoliciting these issues later.

Comment

• WONDERCON: DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH PANEL
                  DC All Access host Jason Inman took to the stage as the moderator of a massive panel of DC’s creative talent, including the Benson sisters, Sam Humphries, Phil Jimenez, James Tynion IV, Chad Hardin, John Semper Jr and Danny Miki with surprise guest Geoff Johns.

Inman began the panel by asking Johns for his favorite moments of Rebirth. Johns replied by first, thanking the fans for supporting Rebirth across the board. “I’ve worked with everyone on this panel, and I’m so proud of the work everyone has done,” Johns said, before singling out that Jimenez is one of the first artists that Johns met at DC.

Inman asked for a tease for Rebirth’s future from Johns. “I’m going to be returning to comics to do a series this year.” Johns said, surprising the audience. “You’ll hear more about that soon.”

Next up is the Benson sisters talking about the “Birds of Prey” — Shawna Benson spoke about bringing Roulette in to the book to make the universe feel more “lived in” with a meta-human fight club. Inman asked about bringing a new Oracle in for the Birds as a team, and Julie Benson fielded the question saying they will be looking into Gus’s origin soon.

The Bensons also spoke about Black Bird, the new villain for the Birds, who will be “a real problem” for the team in the future.

Johns then spoke about how the Birds about how the Birds of Prey as a team are a corner stone of the DCU, and then continues to tease a potential Rebirth for other “cornerstone” teams like the JSA and the Legion of the Super-Heroes, to a very excited response from the crowd.

The focus then shifted to “Detective Comics” where Tynion IV takes over talking about Cassandra Cain’s role in the story. “I started reading comics monthly around “No Mans Land,” Tynion said, “Which is when Cassandra was really introduced to the comics. She’s very important to me.”

Tynion continued, “This upcoming arc [of “Detective Comics”] is when we find out what the connection between the League of Shadows and the League of Assassins actually is, and where Ra’s Al Ghul comes into play. He is not there as an ally.”

Inman asked Tynion about a twitter interaction between Tom King and Tyion on Twitter about who the most skilled fighter in the Batfamily is — King said Cassandra, and Tynion said he definitely agrees. “Cassandra’s first language is fighting,” Tynion explained, “If Cassandra and Batman wanted to fight and go-all-out, Batman might not win.”

“The core tragedy of Cassandra,” Tynion went on, “Is the danger in her. She’s afraid of herself, in a way. And she worries that the people around her are also afraid of her.”

Johns then went on to shed some light on the creative process in deciding the roster of “Detective Comics” “You can’t just say “I loved this character as a kid” that’s not good enough, you really have to get under the hood of that character and that’s something I think James has really done with Cassandra.”

Inman then asked about the process that went into creating “Green Lanterns” behind the scenes, since they are characters that Johns himself created. “When DC approached me about the book,” Humphries said, “I was like “where’s Hal? But as time went on I realized that these new characters were the next Hal Jordan, the next Kyle Rayner.”

“Green Lanterns” is a story about “courage over fear”, Humphries elaborated, and expressed his excitement about the depth of the world of Green Lanterns with “Hal & The Green Lantern Corps” being so different a story. Johns chimed in at that point to explain that Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz’s contrasting personalities are what make “Green Lanterns” so strong, and singled out Cruz’s anxiety as a specifically relatable concept for fans like himself.

Inman then steered the conversation toward cliffhangers and Johns chimed in “Writers out there, don’t ever do a cliff hanger where your characters walk into a building and that building blows up. It never works.” Humphries laughed, “No, no, there always has be a personal component for a cliffhanger.”

“I don’t know if I’ll ever do a cliffhanger as crazy as the one I did in “DC Universe: Rebirth,” Johns laughed.

Next up, the focus is moved to “Superwoman” with Phil Jimenez. Inman asked for some retrospective from Jimenez now that “Superwoman” has been collected.”

Jimenez laughs and says “I have a hard time reading my own work. I wrote Superwoman about two characters who may have not ever gotten along or been friends, but they realize they’re better together. I didn’t want to be the “Superman” guy, I wanted “Superwoman” a little more off beat and quirky. I wanted to address some of the weirder parts of the Superman world.”

“I loved writing a moment in “Superwoman” #5 when I got to write Lana call Lex Luthor out on being an awful human being. He’s an awful human being, and I was so glad I got to write that scene,” Jimenez recounted.

Johns had to depart the panel, so Inman refocused to “Harley Quinn” with Chad Hardin. “The whole creative team is like a group of 12-year-olds,” Hardin said, “Sometimes we push it too far and have to dial it back, but we’re having a lot of fun.”

Danny Miki, inker of “Batman” then took focus for a moment, when Inman asked Miki what it’s like to ink David Finch. “He’s got this heavy metal feel to his work,” Miki said, “It’s like a puzzle. It’s a wild ride.”

“Is there anything David just doesn’t like to draw that you just fill in? Like does Finch hate drawing cars?” Inman teased, but Miki laughed and responded “No no, he’s down with everything.”

Next up is “Cyborg” with John Semper Jr. “Now John,” Inman started, “You’ve been writing “Cyborg” for 11 issues — are you afraid of your phone yet? Skynet? Technology?”

Semper laughed, “I’m always afraid of my phone.”

Some teasers for upcoming issues of “Cyborg” were presented on the screen featuring Cyborg facing off against a villain in a stylized 8-bit world, which Semper explained was partly inspired by his own interest in classic video games and his love of pushing new limits with Vic as a character.

“Was there any difficulty in finding Vic’s voice as an individual hero apart from the Teen Titans?” Inman asked, which was met with a quick “No, no, I was given a blank slate with this character going into it,” from Semper, but he went on to explain that the complicated elements of “Cyborg” are leading up to a “cataclysmic” event he can’t talk about.

The panel then began to field questions from Twitter. The first was about returning characters with Tynion fielded immediately by saying that Zatana will be returning in the pages of “Detective Comics.” Back in her classic costume, no less.

The Bensons then chimed in that there are some big returns coming up for the Birds of Prey, while Humphries explained that Jessica and Simon are going to be venturing to Mogo to meet up with the other Lanterns soon.

“I’m bringing back Beast Boy,” Semper then adds in, “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say that, but Beast Boy is coming back.” So it sounds like Beast Boy will eventually be making a cameo in “Cyborg” outside of his current home in “Teen Titans” — something to look forward to for fans of the duo’s friendship, to be sure.

A fan then asked a question about villains being introduced like the Court of Owls — characters who are retroactively added to characters histories the way the Court was in the New 52. Tynion fielded the question by saying there is “absolutely” always room to do that, and that sort of introduction is what inspired him to introduce the “Colony” in his first arc of “Detective Comics.”

A fan then asked what Sam Humphries favorite cliff hangers were, to which Sam replied that he loved “Lost” the TV show’s cliff hangers but he was disappointed in the overall outcome with the show. “But some great people worked on that show!” He clarified quickly.

The next question from a fan went to Julie and Shawna Benson about the anxiety revolving around introducing new villains into the Birds of Prey world. Shawna explained that understanding the things that drew them to the Birds in the first place was the cornerstone of inventing villains — the Birds are a “found family” to them, and the key to making a good villain was to find the opposite of that in Black Bird.

A fan then asked about Tynion’s work on “Detective Comics” and making changes to characters like Clayface that the fan believes will “last a long time.” Tynion, flattered, explains that all these changes he’s making to characters like Clayface and Stephanie Brown are coming from the “core” of the characters. He explained how Stephanie’s recent arc has worked for her because she has always, “even when she was Batgirl” has worked “as an outsider” to the Batfamily.

“Clayface is a character with a lot of sadness at the heart of him. Batman knows what it’s like to have a really terrible day. Clayface had a terrible day and he fell apart, and fell apart. He became a monster,” Tynion went on, “That’s at the core of his character.”

The final question came from a fan who is also a retailer, asking the panel for their plans for the longevity of the Rebirth line. Humphries laughed, “Well my plan is to just never let anything I write suck,” and John Semper joked “Well I just won’t ever let DC fire me.”

Comment

• Eisner Award nominated artist Joëlle Jones has been tapped to take over the popular DC Collectibles Cover Girls statue line. Announced today during the DC Collectibles panel at WonderCon, the fan-favorite artist for SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER and LADY KILLER will give fans and collectors her unique take on iconic DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains. Jones will first take on mischievous vixen Harley Quinn, with Supergirl, Batgirl, and Mera statues slated to follow in 2018.

Created in 2009, the DC Cover Girls line has been graced by talented artists, most recently with famed designers Adam Hughes and Stanley Lau leaving their mark through creative interpretations of the renowned characters. With an already strong presence at DC through her work on the critically acclaimed comic, SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER, Jones will lend her unique style and uncanny ability to capture energy and expression, and hail as the first female designer of the Cover Girls line.

On the difference between creating 3D designs for statues in contrast to her 2D comic art, Jones stated, “one of my favorite things about designing sculptures is being able to capture the essence of the character in statue form. Evaluating the small nuances you appreciate in a character and using that to dictate their gestures, allows opportunities for expression you don’t necessarily get when creating a comic book.”

Inspired by the powerful women of the DC Universe, Cover Girls has been a long-running line for DC Collectibles, with dynamic depictions of the most famous superheroines and supervillains in the form of premium 9” statues.

Get a first-look at how Joëlle plans to put her spin on the fierce female characters, as she sits down for an exclusive interview with DC’s premier entertainment show, DC All Access.
                    + YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• WonderCon attendees got more than they expected today at the WildStorm 25th Anniversary Panel. This year marks a major milestone for the imprint, and the founder, DC Publisher and artist Jim Lee, was joined by other superstar artists and writers as they honored the line’s legacy, revealed details of an anniversary book and looked toward the future of the WildStorm universe.

The Saturday afternoon panel, moderated by Lee, included Ryan Benjamin, Carlos D’Anda, Richard Friend, Mark Irwin, Dustin Nguyen, Alex Sinclair and Scott Williams as they shared fascinating and fun memories of their time working together, turning a passion project into a line of comic books.

“‘It’s hard to believe 25 years have gone by so fast’—says everyone who has ever stuck with anything for 25 years” said Lee. “Our hope is to celebrate the future of the WildStorm characters, sharing the origins of its past and also giving fans a chance to watch some of the WildStorm talent do some live drawing to showcase what made WildStorm Studios so unique.”

The panelists divulged fresh details on WILDSTORM: A CELEBRATION OF 25 YEARS—an oversized hardcover collection coming this August. The book will include thrilling new stories from some of comics’ legendary creative teams, including a WILDCATS story from Jim Lee and Brandon Choi, a GEN13 tale from J. Scott Campbell, THE AUTHORITY story from Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, and a BACKLASH short from Brett Booth; brand-new pinups of classic characters from John Cassaday, Tim Sale, Fiona Staples, Adam Hughes, Carlos D’Anda, Lee Bermejo and Ryan Benjamin; behind-the-scenes material; and reprints of WildStorm's greatest stories!

DC has ushered in the next generation of WildStorm storytelling with a new pop-up imprint, curated by Warren Ellis, placing these beloved characters in reimagined stories. Readers can check out THE WILD STORM #1 and #2, on shelves now, written by Ellis with art by Jon Davis-Hunt. This flagship series of the imprint will launch future series, including MICHAEL CRAY, later this year, with more to follow.

Comment

• Makes me wonder if some form of Union will show up in the Wild Storm...

~//V\\~

Comment

• It’s been teased for months now that the superstar creative team of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are set to reunite at DC Comics for a DC Universe-wide event — and now that story has been revealed as “Dark Nights: Metal,” set to debut in August.

The event was scheduled to be revealed by Snyder, Capullo and DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio today during a panel at Fan Expo Dallas, streamed online via Facebook Live. This is the first story from Snyder and Capullo since their celebrated collaboration on “Batman,” which ran from 2011 to 2016 and spawned such acclaimed arcs as “The Court of Owls,” “Death of the Family,” “Zero Year” and “Endgame.” Based on the promotional art revealed, “Dark Nights: Metal” appears to heavily involve Batman, yet it said to “encompass the full expanse of the DC Universe.”

“I’ve been planning ‘Metal’ for as long as I’ve been writing ‘Batman,'” Snyder said in a statement. “But this is bigger than ‘Batman.’ Greg and I started dropping clues during ‘Court of Owls,’ we continued through our Joker stories and we placed our biggest hints in the run that culminated with ‘Batman’ #50. And now we’re back to tell a story that breaks everything apart. This will be the definitive project of our careers. ‘Metal’ takes us in an entirely new direction. Greg and I will dig beneath the surface of all the stories we’ve told to find a place of terror and twisted nightmares.”
                          Details of “Dark Nights: Metal” remain mostly under wraps, including how many issues the series will run and any possible tie-ins. The only plot clues that DC’s press release gives is that the story will “examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, and open up worlds that are forged by nightmares.” But don’t assume that means things will be grim and gritty, as the aim is to fit into the more hopeful tone of the DC Universe established by last year’s “Rebirth” publishing initiative.

“I want ‘Metal’ to be built upon the stories happening now in Rebirth and create new material that feels really modern and different,” Snyder said. “And above all, it’s going to be fun. Even with terror and nightmares, it won’t be grim. ‘Dark Nights: Metal’ will be celebratory, huge and crazy. I’ve said it before: I am going for out-of-control dinosaurs and lasers.”

And it’s not just Snyder and Capullo reuniting for “Dark Nights: Metal.” “Batman” inker Jonathan Glapion and colorist FCO are also on board.

“As you’ve probably heard by now, brother Scott and I are renewing our comic wedding vows,” Capullo said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to rock’n’ and roll’n’ together again. Fans have been loud and clear; they want more from us. You know what they say; give the people what they want. Jonathan Glapion and FCO, the original Bat team, will be riding the lightning with Scott and I once again. We’re primed and ready to blow it up.”

“I couldn’t be more excited to see Scott and Greg take on the DC Universe,” DiDio said in the press release. “‘Dark Nights: Metal’ leans into the strength of the relationship Scott and Greg forged on ‘Batman’ to launch something new and unexpected. We’re pushing the world’s finest heroes in new, unexplored directions to tell a giant story, using all the characters in our pantheon.”

Last month, DC announced two one-shot preludes to this story: “Dark Days: The Forge,” scheduled for June 14, and “Dark Days: The Casting,” scheduled for July 12. Those comics will include contributions from writers Snyder and James Tynion IV, along with artists Jim Lee, Andy Kubert and John Romita Jr.

Comment

• So he wants to make a Batman version of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon?
                            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Wild Storm #3 Preview
                              Writer: Warren Ellis
                              Artist: Jon Davis-Hunt

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X