Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's how that ties in to Doomsday Clock.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-jsa-le...heroes-series/

Comment

• Landmark 1,000th Issue Features Jim Lee Cover Revealing New Costume

Brian Michael Bendis Debuts First Story for DC

DC Veteran Writer Marv Wolfman to Script Story Based On Unpublished Art by Golden and Silver Age Icon Curt Swan

All-Star Lineup of Contributors Includes Richard Donner, Geoff Johns, Peter J. Tomasi, Pat Gleason, Dan Jurgens, Brad Meltzer, Louise Simonson, Jerry Ordway, Tom King, Scott Snyder and More

(BURBANK, CA) – (January 19, 2018) – DC is going all-out to celebrate the one-thousandth issue of ACTION COMICS—the longest continually published comic book of its kind in history, the series that introduced Superman to the world and the title that launched the superhero genre. The Jim Lee-drawn cover features a new costume that integrates a variety of classic and new elements, including the Man of Steel’s trademark red trunks.

“ACTION COMICS #1000 represents a watershed moment in the history of not just comic books, but entertainment, literature and pop culture,” said Lee. “There’s no better way to celebrate Superman’s enduring popularity than to give him a look that combines some new accents with the most iconic feature of his classic design.”

Available at comics retailers and digitally on April 18, ACTION COMICS #1000 features the DC debut of acclaimed writer Brian Michael Bendis in a 10-page Superman story featuring art by DC publisher and celebrated artist Jim Lee. This milestone issue will also include two 15-page stories from two of DC’s current and most popular talent teams: SUPERMAN writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Pat Gleason, as well as ACTION COMICS writer and artist Dan Jurgens.

“The one-thousandth issue of ACTION COMICS is an incredible milestone in pop culture and a testament to the vision of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster,” said DC publisher Dan DiDio. “Without this book, along with Siegel and Shuster’s fertile imaginations and boundless creativity, the superhero’s place in literature may have been wildly different, if not altogether nonexistent.”

This must-have collector’s item comic book will also feature previously unpublished art from Curt Swan, whose dynamic, iconic style many consider the definitive look for the Man of Steel throughout comics’ Golden and Silver Ages. Acclaimed DC writer Marv Wolfman will script a story based on this never-before-seen content. In addition, the comic will include a collection of memorable bonus stories from some of the most celebrated names in comics and entertainment.

Contributors to this once-in-a-lifetime issue include legendary Superman movie director Richard Donner and New York Times best-selling writer Geoff Johns, with art by Olivier Coipel. Other contributing creative teams will include Paul Dini with José Luis García-López; Tom King with Clay Mann and Jordie Bellaire; Brad Meltzer with John Cassaday and Laura Martin; Louise Simonson with Jerry Ordway; Scott Snyder with Tim Sale and more to be announced.This celebratory comic book is just the beginning; this milestone will be recognized across the DC superhero line for the month of April with a series of Superman-themed variant covers and even more to come. Check out the website at www.dccomics.com or the DC YouTube channel for the latest news regarding Krypton’s last son and his elevation to pop culture icon.

Comment

• ^That number milestone (which is a really cool one) will always be tainted by the fact that they broke the sequence in the New 52.

Comment

• DC never should have killed the numbering on those 4 titles. And there WILL come a day when DC cheats by restoring Batman and Superman as those titles get close to their big anniversary issues.

Still, it's great to see Superman in a costume that's super close to his real one. This pleases me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post

Still, it's great to see Superman in a costume that's super close to his real one. This pleases me.
            This costume was PERFECT! The red trunks is a huge setback, damn old people and their inability to accept change

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                This costume was PERFECT! The red trunks is a huge setback, damn old people and their inability to accept change

I could have lived with most of it, but something wasn't right about that belt design. I'm not a big fan of having the S shield directly under another S shield, just repetitive. It would be like a GL having the GL symbol on their chest, and a second one on a belt buckle. A hat on a hat. If they came up with a better belt design using more yellow I would have been onboard.

Comment

• All the redesigns he's got have barely even been redesigns. A new belt? Oooooooh.... New details around his wrists? Again... not THAT big a deal.

Give me an actual redesign, don't just go back to the look that's easiest to make fun of. What if Superman replaced the red trunks with red pants? What if the whole damn bodysuit was red and the cape was blue? What if he ditched the cape?

~//V\\~

Comment

• GET READY FOR 4 NEW JUSTICE LEAGUES...

This maybe makes sense for one story, but no way in hell should Sinestro, Starro, and half the Teen Titans be in the Justice League. And wtf is up with their suits, that something they got from Brainiac too?

~//V\\~

Comment

• World Class Roster of Bestselling Authors Tapped to Pen Original Graphic Novels that Will Bring DC’s Iconic Super Heroes to a Whole New Generation of Young Readers

DC Ink and DC Zoom All-Star Talent Line-up Includes Laurie Halse Anderson, Meg Cabot, Melissa de la Cruz, Shea Fontana, Kami Garcia, Minh Lê, Marie Lu, Lauren Myracle, Michael Northrop, Danielle Paige, Ridley Pearson, Mariko Tamaki, Gene Yang, and more!

DC Entertainment revealed two new original graphic novel publishing imprints today, DC Ink focused on young adult (YA) readers, and DC Zoom focused on middle grade (MG) readers. Both imprints will feature a world class line-up of authors who have established YA and MG fan bases. These authors will bring their storytelling expertise to a DC Universe filled with iconic characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and many more. The first titles from DC Ink and DC Zoom will be released in Fall 2018.

“Superheroes are more popular than ever so it only makes sense to bring these DC characters to an entirely new generation of young readers,” stated Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment and president of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The first comic books created decades ago were for kids, and as the business evolved and matured, it became more focused on adult readers. DC Ink and DC Zoom present an exciting new opportunity to grow our publishing business and ensure beloved stories built around iconic characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are endeared as part of the fabric of childhood for years to come.”

“Two of the recent areas of growth in publishing include graphic novels and books for young readers – we’re bringing those formats together with DC Ink and DC Zoom,” said DC Entertainment Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “We’ve already experienced tremendous success with our DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels. The new DC Ink and DC Zoom slate, paired with a stellar author line-up, presents a major business growth opportunity and we couldn’t be more excited – we’re going big.”

The first titles from DC Ink include HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS by Mariko Tamaki (SUPERGIRL: BEING SUPER) with art by Steve Pugh, and MERA by Danielle Paige (DOROTHY MUST DIE series). The first title to hit shelves from DC Zoom will be DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS from writer Shea Fontana and artist Yancey Labat. All three titles will go on sale in Fall 2018, with many more titles from DC Ink and DC Zoom set to follow in 2019.
                      Additional confirmed upcoming titles and authors for DC Ink include:
                      • BATMAN: GOTHAM HIGH – Melissa de la Cruz (ALEX & ELIZA, BLUE BLOODS series, WITCHES OF EAST END series)
                      • BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER – THE GRAPHIC NOVEL – Marie Lu (LEGEND series)
                      • TEEN TITANS – Kami Garcia (BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series)
                      • UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE – Lauren Myracle (INTERNET GIRLS series, KISSING KATE)
                      • WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED – Laurie Halse Anderson (SPEAK and CHAINS)
                      Additional confirmed titles and authors for DC Zoom include:
                      • BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME – writer and artist: Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM)
                      • BATMAN: OVERDRIVE – Shea Fontana (DC SUPER HERO GIRLS series)
                      • BLACK CANARY: IGNITE – Meg Cabot (THE PRINCESS DIARIES series)
                      • DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE – Michael Northrop (TOMBQUEST series)
                      • GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY – Minh Lê (DRAWN TOGETHER)
                      • SUPER SONS – Ridley Pearson (KINGDOM KEEPERS series)
                      • SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE – writer and artist: Art Baltazar & Franco (TINY TITANS)
                      • SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN – Gene Yang (AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER series, NEW SUPER-MAN), will be released as periodicals first, then collected

Comment

• Love it. Should've been done looooong ago. I still shake my head at DC rejecting that Ben Caldwell Wonder Woman manga.

Comment

• Wow. DC making a serious effort to bring in new, younger readers, instead of just shifting everything to be more dark and "mature" to satisfy their aging fanbase? Awesome!

I really hope this works out. I've always thought it was a shame that DC had so little these days that was geared for the all-ages crowd, like MOST of their comics USED to be.

I'm a little bummed that these seem to be only in Graphic Novel format, though. Some ongoings would be nice.
                          Mister Ed
                          Horse of a Different Color
                          Last edited by Mister Ed; 02-06-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• The New York Times has some quotes from people involved plus some promotional art for Mera:

Hypo
                            Lil' Leaguer
                            Last edited by Hypo; 02-16-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• ^I like Mera, but I'm annoyed that they split her and Arthur after finally having them engaged, so I probably won't read either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                                ^I like Mera, but I'm annoyed that they split her and Arthur after finally having them engaged, so I probably won't read either.
                                They aren't split up, that wasn't Mera but her twin Siren, unless they have split them up again after rebirth.

Comment

Working...
                                X