No announcement yet.

Doomsday Clock Thread (SPOILERS!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea but it seems very unlikely that we're going to see any big ripples from this story into the rest of the DCU though, the delays killed that. Snyder, Bendis and King are running the main universe now so the only reason to read this, if you haven't been already, is if it works as a self contained story.

So far the only standout issue has been #10, everything else while not bad has been kind of forgettable. If he doesn't nail the ending the entire thing ends up being kind of irrelevant due to Johns not being able to stick to a schedule.

Comment

Beyond that, Geoff has lost his clout. For a long time he had only to say it, and it was law. Not now.

Now he can only make suggestions.

Comment

Yo.

I read this over the wk-end, and I thought it was an interesting look at a DCU with a deeper smidgen of politics affecting it than *I* can recall ever seeing previously. but I'll admit to finding it lol-worthy that the Doc pimp-smacks 4 GLs, Cap Marvel & his crew, AND S-girl.....but somehow S-man alone is an issue??

I mean, Ive been reading comics (and DC) long enuff that its not really unexpected, but this just seemed like such a knob-polishing I couldn't help but giggle when I was going thru the last 2 books....

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

#12 is out?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            #12 is out?
            took'em long enough

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Yo.

#12 is out?
              don't think it is yet....

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                Yo.

don't think it is yet....

Tazer
                I was able to "find" it and read it earlier today, so it must be.

Meh. For Geoff, it wasn't terrible. Though with as much shit as I give him about issues chock full of double and single splash pages, I couldn't help but sigh when he had 2 1/2 pages of nothing but black with no captions. Obviously he did it for effect, but c'mon. Let the artsy writers do that. That's not you, man.

It gave us our answer about 5G -- it's just another Earth. So whatever happens on it, it'll be a big "who cares."

Comment

Doomsday Clock had a very intriguing conclusion.
                  Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Like all of Geoff's events, it just set up more events. And it took two years to do that.

As John Wayne said angrily to a preacher who was preaching too long at a funeral in The Searchers -- "Put an amen to it!"
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-19-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• The way the series ended and how it's ending lined up as well as showed similarities to the new tv series' finale.... makes me think Geoff wasn't the reason for the delays. It also went from being his way of bringing back the Legion and JSA into ALSO setting up the 5G sub-plot, possible future Crisis events, and a new future in the Watchmen world.

Rather than setting up future events, I'd have used the page space to really get into the metahuman brawl between Black Adam's forces, Russia's heroes, and Superman. Or make it a bit clearer that Superman being God-like but still retaining his humanity was what made Manhattan have a change in his perspective.

I still want to see more of the Sandstorm character.... and unless Wonder Woman herself is leading the team, I'm not sure another Global Guardians would be given the talent or time of day to actually be successful. Doc M should've commented on how Superman had already changed again since the beginning of the narrative, going from Superman w/red belt to Superman w/red undies again. Especially considering if the New52 is just Earth52 now... Superman is currently the prime Earth Supes merged with another Clark from another Earth!

Comment

• Yo.

Meh. For Geoff, it wasn't terrible. Though with as much shit as I give him about issues chock full of double and single splash pages, I couldn't help but sigh when he had 2 1/2 pages of nothing but black with no captions. Obviously he did it for effect, but c'mon. Let the artsy writers do that. That's not you, man.
                        HAH!!! that reminded me of Solar #10, during its run over @ Valiant during the 90s...

as it is, I myself finished it & thought it was "alright", but I'm still trying to figure out why Doc was having problems seeing that 1 point in time involving Supes, when it doesn't look like *anything* cosmic was actually going on...??
                        :/

Tazer

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                          Yo.

HAH!!! that reminded me of Solar #10, during its run over @ Valiant during the 90s...

as it is, I myself finished it & thought it was "alright", but I'm still trying to figure out why Doc was having problems seeing that 1 point in time involving Supes, when it doesn't look like *anything* cosmic was actually going on...??
                          :/

Tazer
                          It was in the moments after that Superman's humanity changed Manhattan's perspective. The cosmic stuff going on was actually the expansion of what we were told was the Multiverse, with the New52 being dubbed Earth52, 5G being mentioned as it's own Earth, etc.

My biggest question now... If New52 Superman was his own entity, and Prime Superman was actually the Superman before the New52...

Are they still two parts of the same whole, or is the current Superman an amalgam of two Supermen with Earth52 currently being without their own Man of Steel?

There's also the whole.... what happened in the New52 that's considered canon for the current prime universe? Kyle became a White Lantern in New Guardians and was still one during the beginning of Rebirth. So New Guardians and likely everything in the GL books happened to one degree or another. Everything in the Flash carried over with Wallace, the missing Wally, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                            The way the series ended and how it's ending lined up as well as showed similarities to the new tv series' finale.... makes me think Geoff wasn't the reason for the delays. It also went from being his way of bringing back the Legion and JSA into ALSO setting up the 5G sub-plot, possible future Crisis events, and a new future in the Watchmen world.
                            This is contradicted by interviews with Johns and Frank plus the fact that Shazam has also experienced severe delays.

Anyways I don't think he landed the ending, overall I'd give this one big shoulder shrug. Not bad but nothing really stands out to besides issue #10 which I thought was great. I just don't see any of the seeds Johns planted in this series being revisited by Snyder and Bendis who are architecting the DCU now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                              This is contradicted by interviews with Johns and Frank plus the fact that Shazam has also experienced severe delays.

Anyways I don't think he landed the ending, overall I'd give this one big shoulder shrug. Not bad but nothing really stands out to besides issue #10 which I thought was great. I just don't see any of the seeds Johns planted in this series being revisited by Snyder and Bendis who are architecting the DCU now.
                              Snyder will be focusing more on indy projects after Justice League #39, and all he's got for 2020-2021 is the "spiritual sequel to METAL", whatever he's doing for American Vampire, and Batman Last Knight on Earth. There's also a project he hopes becomes his next monthly gig with artist Jorge Jimenez.

I can't figure out if this bit from a Newsarama interview is talking about more DC work or all of his other indie projects...

So this year and the start of 2020 I have this sort of new arrangement that allows for more flexibility so I can do more indie work while still being very invested at what I do at DC. I started on a bunch of books without having any idea where to place them. I have one with Fancesco Francavilla that we're going to announce soon, did one with Charles Soule, and some with a few artists I can't talk about yet. So I have about four to five books that I've been working on the side..."

So while Bendis might still be making waves, Snyder has a new baby and about 5 indie projects keeping him from being THAT big of a force in the broader DCU.

The Supermen Theory is the only big take-away as far as Geoff's sub-plots as far as I'm concerned...

Comment

Working...
                              X