Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your hopes/wishes for Green Lantern in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your hopes/wishes for Green Lantern in the future?

Say, for maybe the next 5 years? What might be in store for us, optimistically.
    A good Hal Jordan comic
    40.00%
    A good Kyle Rayner comic
    40.00%
    A good Guy Gardner comic
    20.00%
    Some comic with Jessica and Baz
    0%
    A big ensemble Green Lantern Corps book
    30.00%
    A reboot back to 0 on the whole thing. Start from scratch.
    10.00%
    Geoff Johns to return to GL
    20.00%
    A successful GL/GLC movie
    30.00%
    A successful GL/GLC TV show
    10.00%
    I don't see any hope at all for GL. Fuck these guys in charge of DC/WB
    30.00%
    I'm perfectly happy with the way things are now with GL
    0%

DC has messed up the GLC so much...where to start. Hal turning into a Will Wraith before making his own ring, the ending to both Blackest Night and Brightest Day, Sorik Natu, the entire 2020-2022 run. Fans hating the entire Rainbow Corps, which I thought had real potential until "GLC in the past universe with Relic and Korna" ruined the principles.

This is beyond reboot to 0. This is a rewrite-the-DC reboot, which we might get, but it will never be done in "the right way" with the idiots in the DC skyscraper. Marvel has won the money battle with the MCU movies. We get a Batman movie reboot every 2-3 years that flops on Day One at the box office. WB never should have allowed certain heroes to "break the mold" in live action. Now they've ruined Flash and everybody else forever.

I'm down to retro one-shots and alternate universes.

Comment

Reboot it back so that Alan is the star. As part of that, reboot the whole Golden Age.

They can add some of the Silver Age stuff later.

Comment

Comics in general and GL in particular have suffered from an attitude that the more stuff that different writers add, the better everything gets. Thus eventually a property bears little or no resemblance to what made it popular in the first place.

Comment

I dont know if its saveable at this point. DC has driven the Green Lantern franchise into the ground. From the penthouse to the shitthouse in a handful of years. Its realy tragic. Julie Schwartz must be rolling in his god damn grave.

If I could make only one thing happen it would be for a good Hal Jordan solo title again, but I dont think DC has it in them to be that competent anymore. "Good" is asking too much of what's left there.

Comment

I'm happy on the comic side of things, but I want more. With all of the human GLs now, there should always be room for 2-3 GL titles published simultaneously.

I'd really like a new GL animated series, and my preference would be with a trio of leads, like Hal, Kyle, and Jo.

I'm extremely excited about the HBO Max series, but I'm still not 100% convinced that it comes to fruition. There seems to be a greater chance for this to happen than a live-action GL movie any time in the near future.

And, of course, I want to see lots more of Jade on Stargirl, and hopefully Alan makes his way there too.

Comment

I opted to vote based on "what I'd like to see", because I really don't know what we WILL see at this point. Probably NOT what I voted for, for the most part. I notice that the poll is kind of criminally lacking in mention of John Stewart, though.

Comment

this isn't what i voted for but if i'm being true to myself then.............................................. ... but it's over with, i see no hope in GLs future, we had a good run (some years ago) but it's time for GL to end (same for DC too) if they aren't gonna give us the best like they did before then it's time to just give up and move on with our lives

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Somehow this "woke" agenda has to burn itself out, and bring back stories that aren't poorly painted-over social justice themes.

But this is the enterprise and comic that gave us an affirmative-action GL for practically no reason. Granted, John Stewart grew into the role, much better than John Henry Irons as Steel.

The convertible flew over the cliff with Alan Scott and Earth-2. No hope at all in bringing back the classic days of Rebirth, Brightest Day, or even pre-Ion Kyle.

Comment

Earth 2 shouldn't have happened. If they had just rebooted the Golden Age, it might have worked. But as with the New 52, DC took a potentially good idea for getting back to its roots and tried to change things EVEN MORE.

Earth 2 and the New 52 should have been course corrections, an acknowledgement that things had moved too far afield. But instead they took things even further afield.

A Golden Age reboot that RESPECTS THE SOURCE MATERIAL could still work. But I don't think anybody at DC respects it. Certainly Geoff Johns doesn't, and he's probably the guy they'd get to do it.

As far as "woke" fiction is concerned, it's already in decline. Netflix went all in with it, and the results were catastrophic. Nobody is going to admit this of course, but you won' t see it all over the place any more.

Comment

Oh, and I'd make Jay the star of The Flash.

Comment

In regards to repairing Green Lantern, a part of me thinks it is undoable, but another part of me doesn't really believe that. Or rather, I think you CAN do it, but I don't think TPTB would ever do what it takes. Essentially, one of the main things is you're going to have to get rid of many of these Earth Lanterns. I think anyone after Kyle Rayner should go. Baz is when they totally started popping up out of the woodwork, and I don't think any of them since have established a niche or served much purpose. Before one of them can actually DO SOMETHING of worth, they just randomly create another one, further watering down the brand and near needlessly devaluing the station of Green Lantern. Did we really need Jo when Baz and Cruz were pretty new characters that were still establishing themselves?

Despite any of these characters not being popular enough to make any difference, I doubt DC would wipe them out or get rid of them because it would make for bad press and loud--if ultimately worthless--fan reaction, since all of them are minorities in the U.S. I don't want to start talking about woke politics or any of that, but that is just what would happen and their status as minorities would be the fuel behind it. I guess if you didn't kill them, but just depowered them, you might get around that. Also, thing is, no matter WHAT you do, somebody will just come along and undo it, perhaps even in a matter of months, so DC is stuck chasing its own tail.

So yeah, you CAN fix it, but for a variety of reasons, such as political climate, runs and continuity mattering less and less, and a cadre of just plain bad editors and creators, I think the likelihood of it happening is pretty slim for the foreseeable future.
                        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I totally agree about jettisoning every human GL created post Kyle Rayner. It's beyond ridiculous now to the point of parody. I dont care how much heat DC thinks they would get for it, the push to have every race, skin tone, religion and sexuality get their own personal human GL representation has been one of the aspects that has crippled the franchise.

Honestly, there were too many human Green Lanterns even when it was just Hal, John , Guy and Kyle and Alan was out of the picture. Hal Johm and Guy were more than enough. I honestly dont give a sh@t about women being represented, not at all. Wipe it all away and give me the big 3.

But DC wont do it and it probably doesnt matter because the way they run the company now, it's only a matter of time for them. Discovery at some point will bring the hammer down and shut down the publishing end of DC. Maybe keep collected editions coming out for existing stories and maintaining trademarks. DC did this to themselves.

Comment

Even Kyle was too many.

Comment

I can see people thinking that even Kyle is too much--and he kind of is because 5 is a lot--but at least it can't be argued that he actually did something and plays a huge role in the history of Green Lantern. Even if you don't like him, or the idea of his creation, you can't just overlook him.

These other GL's from Baz onward just never really did anything in my view to warrant existing, and aside from representing some gender, race, religion, sexuality, or whatever, they don't really add anything of value. And I'm not writing them off because they are minorities. I write them off because their creation was needless and frivolous, and it shows with how rapidly they keep coming out, and how little they add to the overall mythology.
                              Star-Lantern
                              Weaponer of Qward
                              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-24-2022, 10:29 AM.
                              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                              X