X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
    Where's Omega Men rank?
    Originally posted by Hypo View Post
    If there had been an issue of Omega Men in Feburary and it hypothetically had the same drop off it did in January it would've been #198 overall.
    Yeah, Omega Men skipped February. #8 was in January and #9 in March. I double checked using Comic Vine.

Comment

• Ah. Thank you sir.

Comment

• Those numbers are tragic. They need to put a new man in charge of the franchise.

Comment

• These are pretty bad numbers. I'm curious as to how much new life DC can pump into the GL franchise with yet another set of #1s this summer. And they better fix it, because it IS broke.

Comment

These are pretty bad numbers. I'm curious as to how much new life DC can pump into the GL franchise with yet another set of #1s this summer. And they better fix it, because it IS broke.
            Not sure how much they care to fix it. Side effect of the GL movie failure and non comics guys seemingly controlling the allocation of resources. It seems the big wigs weren't around during the SCW, multiple lantern shirt glory days and only impression of the GL franchise is that Ryan Reynolds debacle. Look at the last relaunch big names are associated with Bat franchise books (and Justice League ones). Then other top talent is sent to get exposure for new projects. Who did the GLC get? Virtual unknowns to write the GL books and a Billy Tan who at his best was mid tier with aspirations but his GL work hasn't been a success. DC would never do that with the Bat books or Justice League books and know they couldn't do it with those new books because it would be a waste of paper and the books wouldn't last any longer than Larfreeze did. You can see DC make efforts to insure the viability of the Superman franchise putting their best resources on it. They also make an effort to keep Wonder Woman as viable as possible with the multiple relaunches but you rarely see that kind of effort put into Green Lantern. While Batman is ever green you never see DC just let anybody handle Batman or Detective.

Comment

• I think they're going to get the idea that only Geoff can make it sell.

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                Not sure how much they care to fix it. Side effect of the GL movie failure and non comics guys seemingly controlling the allocation of resources. It seems the big wigs weren't around during the SCW, multiple lantern shirt glory days and only impression of the GL franchise is that Ryan Reynolds debacle. Look at the last relaunch big names are associated with Bat franchise books (and Justice League ones). Then other top talent is sent to get exposure for new projects. Who did the GLC get? Virtual unknowns to write the GL books and a Billy Tan who at his best was mid tier with aspirations but his GL work hasn't been a success. DC would never do that with the Bat books or Justice League books and know they couldn't do it with those new books because it would be a waste of paper and the books wouldn't last any longer than Larfreeze did. You can see DC make efforts to insure the viability of the Superman franchise putting their best resources on it. They also make an effort to keep Wonder Woman as viable as possible with the multiple relaunches but you rarely see that kind of effort put into Green Lantern. While Batman is ever green you never see DC just let anybody handle Batman or Detective.

The movie failure is the movie failure. DC didn't bank on that to keep comics selling. Did they hand the books over to unknowns? Yep. But lets look around for a second:
                • Charles Soule (Red Lanterns) became the hottest writer in comics. At one point, he may have been writing four books at once.
                • Robert Venditti's XO/Manowar is still a praised action/sci-fi title. That's a logical leap for DC to put on the Lantern books.
                • Venditti and Jansen were then put on THE FLASH. That's confidence in the creative team.
                • Tom Taylor was writing some decent at best videogame comic when he was given the keys to Earth 2 out of nowhere. You gotta start somewhere.
                • The Flash had Brett Booth. Wonder Woman had David Finch. Aquaman had Trevor McCarthy. Action Comics had former New Guardians artist Aaron Kuder. None of these are A or B list artists. Maybe Finch. Its quite clear that there's just a shortage of talent AT this company than Green Lantern being specifically ignored.
                • The Batman titles are the Batman titles. There will always be a lot of them and there will always be top talent attached. But lets not pretend that while Scott Snyder and Cameron Stewart were getting all the headlines for Batman and Batgirl, that A-list artist Francis Manapul wasn't getting ANY promo or praise for Detective Comics. Sometimes, top talent plus top character fails. Sometimes, you have to put new talent in these titles.

Point is, there was no conspiracy or drastic decision to pull talent from the GL books. Pat Gleason and Peter Tomasi wanted to do a Bat book, because its BATMAN. Geoff Johns spent 7 years writing Green Lantern books and took his newfound A-list artist Ivan Reis with him everywhere he went since his departure. Them's the breaks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                  I think they're going to get the idea that only Geoff can make it sell.
                  Then they'd be fools. Guys/Gals/PEOPLE we have to look around when we look at these sales. GL is right below Wonder Woman. Fuck man, unless my eyes are deceiving me, that is the only NON BATMAN DC book that its behind. So its Batman, per usual, Wonder Woman and then Green Lantern. Actually, I see two Harley Quinn books in there as well. That's not so bad. Marvel is flooding the market (with better books) but they're not putting everything into one or two baskets. All their franchises are doing okay.

The only thing you can read out of these sales is that a buzz is needed which means better storytelling is needed. Geoff Johns will make Captain Carrot sell. We know this. I don't think DC is dumb enough to think they need Geoff writing Green Lantern again otherwise its not ever going to be relevant. Nah. This Rebirth is a linewide thing. They realize that ALL their books need better stories and that brings in readers. Hopefully, the creative teams are up to the challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    Then they'd be fools. Guys/Gals/PEOPLE we have to look around when we look at these sales. GL is right below Wonder Woman. Fuck man, unless my eyes are deceiving me, that is the only NON BATMAN DC book that its behind. . .
                    This is exactly why I started post top 100 sales, so we see what GL's actual competitors and market value is, not what we assume it is out of context.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      The movie failure is the movie failure. DC didn't bank on that to keep comics selling. Did they hand the books over to unknowns? Yep. But lets look around for a second:
                      • Charles Soule (Red Lanterns) became the hottest writer in comics. At one point, he may have been writing four books at once.
                      • Robert Venditti's XO/Manowar is still a praised action/sci-fi title. That's a logical leap for DC to put on the Lantern books.
                      • Venditti and Jansen were then put on THE FLASH. That's confidence in the creative team.
                      • Tom Taylor was writing some decent at best videogame comic when he was given the keys to Earth 2 out of nowhere. You gotta start somewhere.
                      • The Flash had Brett Booth. Wonder Woman had David Finch. Aquaman had Trevor McCarthy. Action Comics had former New Guardians artist Aaron Kuder. None of these are A or B list artists. Maybe Finch. Its quite clear that there's just a shortage of talent AT this company than Green Lantern being specifically ignored.
                      • The Batman titles are the Batman titles. There will always be a lot of them and there will always be top talent attached. But lets not pretend that while Scott Snyder and Cameron Stewart were getting all the headlines for Batman and Batgirl, that A-list artist Francis Manapul wasn't getting ANY promo or praise for Detective Comics. Sometimes, top talent plus top character fails. Sometimes, you have to put new talent in these titles.

Point is, there was no conspiracy or drastic decision to pull talent from the GL books. Pat Gleason and Peter Tomasi wanted to do a Bat book, because its BATMAN. Geoff Johns spent 7 years writing Green Lantern books and took his newfound A-list artist Ivan Reis with him everywhere he went since his departure. Them's the breaks.
                      Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      Then they'd be fools. Guys/Gals/PEOPLE we have to look around when we look at these sales. GL is right below Wonder Woman. Fuck man, unless my eyes are deceiving me, that is the only NON BATMAN DC book that its behind. So its Batman, per usual, Wonder Woman and then Green Lantern. Actually, I see two Harley Quinn books in there as well. That's not so bad. Marvel is flooding the market (with better books) but they're not putting everything into one or two baskets. All their franchises are doing okay.

The only thing you can read out of these sales is that a buzz is needed which means better storytelling is needed. Geoff Johns will make Captain Carrot sell. We know this. I don't think DC is dumb enough to think they need Geoff writing Green Lantern again otherwise its not ever going to be relevant. Nah. This Rebirth is a linewide thing. They realize that ALL their books need better stories and that brings in readers. Hopefully, the creative teams are up to the challenge.
                      Oh good, you responded so I didn't have to. All that was missing was the classic "Johns made the books tank so he could return and save the day" theory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                        Oh good, you responded so I didn't have to. All that was missing was the classic "Johns made the books tank so he could return and save the day" theory.
                        + YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Sadly, as low as GL's sales are at the moment, there are only 49 titles that did better last month. That's NOT a lot of comics above it.

Also, there are only 23 titles that sold more than 50K copies last month. To put it in perspective, things aren't good for the hobby, let alone GL.

Comment

Sadly, as low as GL's sales are at the moment, there are only 49 titles that did better last month. That's NOT a lot of comics above it.

Also, there are only 23 titles that sold more than 50K copies last month. To put it in perspective, things aren't good for the hobby, let alone GL.
                            Some of that is due to people uploading comics online, but I find it very strange that the era of comic book blockbusters and TV adaptations hasn't resulted in more comic book readers. I just don't understand how people can become fans of a character(s) on screen without wanting to delve into their pulpy roots.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                              Some of that is due to people uploading comics online...
                              Yeah, these numbers don't track digital sales. Independent sites don't seem to be tracking that (as far I've found).

Comment

• Because the publishers won't ever release those numbers. I think Marvel did once.

Comment

Working...
                                X