Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't ever want Geoff Johns back. He has a poor track record of second runs on titles. His first run on JSA was amazing. His second run on JSA was dreadful. Johns' first run on Flash was fantastic; I wish he never came back.

With GL, Johns didn't even make it through ONE run of GL without it turning to shit by the end. Why would I wish more and worse upon the title? Doesn't GL have enough problems? I certainly haven't forgotten all of the terrible mistakes he made on the franchise in the last few years of his run.

Comment

• Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
      Just because WB wants to focus more on Batman universe concepts [not unlike DC] doesn't mean the GLC film won't happen. GL is still considered a big gun so he'll get his time in the light.
      I will believe it when I actually see it and not just an announcement with no cast attached to it. I also won't be surprised if films like Cyborg and Flash don't happen. I think a lot is hinging on the Justice League film, concerning these additional non-Batman and Superman heroes.

Sometimes people don't think about this, but money is not unlimited, and when it is thrown about willy-nilly as though it is unlimited, bad things tend to happen.

When WB's movies aren't performing well critically (and not as well as hoped financially), and there is news of more Batman, then it seems to me like WB is taking money they could use to develop a Green Lantern film (for instance) and using it on something they trust a whole lot more and that they feel a particular really huge director would be well suited for.

WB trusts Batman and Joss Whedon. WB does not trust Green Lantern, nor do they have any good reason to. Green Lantern, by itself, has never made WB a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. It could potentially be worse than an untried property, as it is one with a couple huge strikes against it and no big successes (movie didn't do well at all, and I'm assuming WB also lost money on that expensive cartoon show). It is really asking a lot for WB to once again invest a gargantuan amount of money into something that has lost it a gargantuan amount of money. Looking at things with a businessman hat on, I can completely understand why the execs are very wary of that franchise/character.

So when the last GL film lost 90 million dollars for WB, and when the current superhero films aren't doing spectacularly considering how much they cost to make and advertise, and when WB has a whole host of franchises it can try that haven't lost it 90 million dollars, I personally don't think things are looking that great for Green Lanterns film chances. I mean, even the upcoming Wonder Woman film has notably weak promotion, because WB probably doesn't have a lot of faith in it, so it doesn't want to spend a fortune on advertising the movie.

But who knows. Green Lantern Corps could happen. I just find it unlikely at this point.
      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
        I will believe it when I actually see it and not just an announcement with no cast attached to it. I also won't be surprised if films like Cyborg and Flash don't happen. I think a lot is hinging on the Justice League film, concerning these additional non-Batman and Superman heroes.

Sometimes people don't think about this, but money is not unlimited, and when it is thrown about willy-nilly as though it is unlimited, bad things tend to happen.

When WB's movies aren't performing well critically (and not as well as hoped financially), and there is news of more Batman, then it seems to me like WB is taking money they could use to develop a Green Lantern film (for instance) and using it on something they trust a whole lot more and that they feel a particular really huge director would be well suited for.

WB trusts Batman and Joss Whedon. WB does not trust Green Lantern, nor do they have any good reason to. Green Lantern, by itself, has never made WB a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. It could potentially be worse than an untried property, as it is one with a couple huge strikes against it and no big successes (movie didn't do well at all, and I'm assuming WB also lost money on that expensive cartoon show). It is really asking a lot for WB to once again invest a gargantuan amount of money into something that has lost it a gargantuan amount of money. Looking at things with a businessman hat on, I can completely understand why the execs are very wary of that franchise/character.

So when the last GL film lost 90 million dollars for WB, and when the current superhero films aren't doing spectacularly considering how much they cost to make and advertise, and when WB has a whole host of franchises it can try that haven't lost it 90 million dollars, I personally don't think things are looking that great for Green Lanterns film chances. I mean, even the upcoming Wonder Woman film has notably weak promotion, because WB probably doesn't have a lot of faith in it, so it doesn't want to spend a fortune on advertising the movie.

But who knows. Green Lantern Corps could happen. I just find it unlikely at this point.
        Some spot on observations there.

It looks like they might have copied Marvel's approach to movies when they made Wonder Woman. There's nothing automatically wrong with that, but besides the style, Marvel's movies unfailingly have good scripts. Did Wonder Woman have one? We'll find out soon enough.

I kinda think Wonder Woman should be a television character anyway. And that's fine. The Flash, Supergirl and Arrow are making big money on television for DC.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Why can't they put Green Lantern on television? One reason. The ring constructs! They would blow the budget through the roof. Get rid of them and set it on Earth, without all the expensive alien gobbledy-gookers, and you could produce a GL television series.

Maybe DC should limit its movies to Batman, Superman and JLA, and put everything else on television.
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            Why can't they put Green Lantern on television? One reason. The ring constructs! They would blow the budget through the roof. Get rid of them and set it on Earth, without all the expensive alien gobbledy-gookers, and you could produce a GL television series.
            Thing is, if you eliminate the constructs, you remove what makes Green Lantern unique; it's partially why Firestorm on LoT sucks so badly. Take away the GL's uniqueness and all you have is a lesser, green version of Superman that flies and shoots beams. Boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
              Thing is, if you eliminate the constructs, you remove what makes Green Lantern unique; it's partially why Firestorm on LoT sucks so badly. Take away the GL's uniqueness and all you have is a lesser, green version of Superman that flies and shoots beams. Boring.
              You can do anything without the constructs that you can do with them. So should DC let them keep Green Lantern off television, and block the millions of dollars that a GL series would earn? The answer to that is obvious.

Anyway, the ring constructs don't define the property. Not even remotely. Green Lantern is about the Green Lantern Corps, and it's about the characters. It's nothing at all like Superman. Besides, if Green Lantern is a "lesser" Superman, then what is Green Arrow? Yet Arrow is doing fine on television. If Green Lantern without the ring constructs is "boring," then it's a poor concept that deserves to fail. As Steve Englehart said, "It ain't about the powers."
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-12-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• If it's about the constructs, then you might as well just give Wonder Woman the ability to create them, and do away with Green Lantern.

Better yet, give the Martian Manhunter the ability to create them, and see whether that helps him sell a comic. Does anybody think it would?
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-12-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Animated Young Justice-style series (not that cg stuff)

Or

I know for some this is unthinkable but an anime about Green Lantern Corps has so much potential. Kyle Rayner is the most anime DC superhero that alone should be enough, but the Corps also fit perfectly. The space sci-fi is solid genre on anime, all the weeb fanbase DC could be making money from

Marvel is not afraid to enter this kind of territory why DC has to be so conservative??

Comment

If it's about the constructs, then you might as well just give Wonder Woman the ability to create them, and do away with Green Lantern.

Better yet, give the Martian Manhunter the ability to create them, and see whether that helps him sell a comic. Does anybody think it would?
                    what the hell

Comment

You can do anything without the constructs that you can do with them. So should DC let them keep Green Lantern off television, and block the millions of dollars that a GL series would earn? The answer to that is obvious.

Anyway, the ring constructs don't define the property. Not even remotely. Green Lantern is about the Green Lantern Corps, and it's about the characters. It's nothing at all like Superman. Besides, if Green Lantern is a "lesser" Superman, then what is Green Arrow? Yet Arrow is doing fine on television. If Green Lantern without the ring constructs is "boring," then it's a poor concept that deserves to fail. As Steve Englehart said, "It ain't about the powers."
                      For a network show to work, you initially need an attention-grabber and a wow factor to lure people in. Constructs accomplish that. When you think GL, you think constructs, not hot shot pilot, not swanky artist and not Marine Corps. It's what GL has been about since the development of the franchise (Hal Jordan at least). They don't have to be exceedingly imaginative, but you need constructs for GL to work, otherwise it's a green Supergirl- a character that makes poor decisions, flies around and shoots lasers. For longevity, "it ain't about the powers," it's about good writing, but when you're establishing a superhero and trying to gather a new audience, it kind of is.

I can see where you're coming from by vanquishing the constructs because you've done that in your fan fiction, but I don't think it'll work for tv. Getting the audience's attention is paramount, then establishing solid, likeable characters. I do agree that aliens and off-world stuff would have to be extremely limited or not shown/done at all.

CW's Green Arrow is nothing more than a cheap copy of Batman. They've even ripped off some of his rogue's gallery. Don't get me started on that show.

Comment

• Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                        what the hell
                        I know LOL. Sometimes I wonder if he's on better drugs than me...

~//V\\~

Comment

• And I'm just gonna throw this out there.... when a film company spends NEARLY THE EXACT same amount of cash on promoting the film as they do making the film itself... can you blame the filmmakers? That's just a horrible decision somebody should've stopped. It's not Green Lantern's fault the film lost money, it's the idiots behind the marketing at WB.

~//V\\~

Comment

• Anyone can tell DC that they'd rather the company not publish a comic or produce a television show than to make a few changes that will sell it. And they'll listen to that, right?

Sure they will. Because it's all about the person who is raising that objection.
                            Trey Strain
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-13-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• I have to say that what ultimately happened to Green Lantern is probably to some extent the fault of HEAT. To most people in the group, it was all about Hal. But it really wasn't. It was about Hal, but also about everything else that DC flushed in Emerald Twilight. It was about Green Lantern before Kyle.

Geoff took his cue from them and picked up on the Hal part, but he didn't get the rest of it. He obviously thought that Green Lantern pretty much sucked except for Hal, and that he should bring Hal back and reinvent it.

Joe Kelly wrote a great story in Legacy, with Tom Kamalku restoring Oa and bringing back the GLC without Hal. That's exactly what DC should have done, and they could have worried about getting Hal back later. But Geoff objected and got DC to delay the restoration for two more years, until he could figure how to get Hal back at the same time. Thus Legacy was never even published in floppy form, and almost nobody saw it.

That was a huge blunder, and it showed where Geoff was coming from. He was going to downplay the material outside of Hal, and replace it with his own ideas.

And the rest you all know.
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-13-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Ultimately though it was the fault of the management at DC Comics that nobody recognized what a great property they had on their hands. It certainly wasn't just Geoff. Apparently almost everybody there had the same opinion about it that he did. First the company bizarrely flushed the property, and then, instead of resorting it, they reinvented it. That wasn't just one screw-up, but two.
                                Trey Strain
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-13-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X