• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
      2 Green Lantern 1 $4.99 DC 113,651
      14 Green Lantern 2 $3.99 DC 64,127
      18 Green Lantern 3 $3.99 DC 54,398
      22 Green Lantern 4 $3.99 DC 50,176
      25 Green Lantern 5 $3.99 DC 47,325
      Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      That's actually not bad.
      If it can settle in the 40K range for a few years, I'd be fine with that.
      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Comics and graphic novel sales hit new high in 2018

Comment

• What's rising are sales of graphic novels. And sales from comics shops are becoming less important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            What's rising are sales of graphic novels. And sales from comics shops are becoming less important.
            It says "The increase was due to gains in book channel and digital sales, and the inclusion of an estimate for U.S. and Canada sales through crowdfunding sites for the first time" despite the fact that apparently digital sales are negligible.

Comment

• Digital sales have been hovering around 6 percent for a long time.

Comment

• I've said for years that crowdfunding graphic novels is the future of comics. I don't go to comic shops anymore. I haven't in years. What's funny is that I pass by a comic shop on my way home from work and I've NEVER been inside of it. I think to myself, "Why should I go? In terms of back issues and trades, I can't be sure the shop will have what I am looking for. Yet, I could get anything I want online, and I'm sure the internet will have what I want. Furthermore, I read single issues digitally, so there's no point in buying the floppies."

There's really no point to comic shops other than organized get-togethers for board games and card games like Magic, and "feelings" like nostalgia and loyalty. Those are nice and all, but practicality will win out sooner or later.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• I've said for years that crowdfunding graphic novels is the future of comics. I don't go to comic shops anymore. I haven't in years. What's funny is that I pass by a comic shop on my way home from work and I've NEVER been inside of it. I think to myself, "Why should I go? In terms of back issues and trades, I can't be sure the shop will have what I am looking for. Yet, I could get anything I want online, and I'm sure the internet will have what I want. Furthermore, I read single issues digitally, so there's no point in buying the floppies."

There's really no point to comic shops other than organized get-togethers for board games and card games like Magic, and "feelings" like nostalgia and loyalty. Those are nice and all, but practicality will win out sooner or later.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    I've said for years that crowdfunding graphic novels is the future of comics. I don't go to comic shops anymore. I haven't in years. What's funny is that I pass by a comic shop on my way home from work and I've NEVER been inside of it. I think to myself, "Why should I go? In terms of back issues and trades, I can't be sure the shop will have what I am looking for. Yet, I could get anything I want online, and I'm sure the internet will have what I want. Furthermore, I read single issues digitally, so there's no point in buying the floppies."

Well, not for me. (1) I like to read my new comics in the bathroom over the course of the week. That doesn't work so well with my iPad. (2) I want a copy that I can thumb through and also lend to people. (3) I want to pay for them in cash.

But then again, I'm a physical media kind of guy. I have hardly any music downloaded and no movies or shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Well, not for me. (1) I like to read my new comics in the bathroom over the course of the week. That doesn't work so well with my iPad. (2) I want a copy that I can thumb through and also lend to people. (3) I want to pay for them in cash.

But then again, I'm a physical media kind of guy. I have hardly any music downloaded and no movies or shows.
                      I would think that for most people (and by that I mean everybody, not just regular patrons of comic shops), even if they prefer physical media, they would probably find it more convenient to have the trade paperback than a bunch of different pamphlet-like things. And trades can be obtained really easily online. The only downside is that you would need to wait for the story to be collected in trade versus buying it in episodic segments.

I'm of the mind that the comics publishing companies should work toward phasing the floppies out altogether and just print graphic novels. The episodic segments can be released digitally for those who want to experience things that way. Preferences have trended toward consumers binging their entertainment in large doses instead of waiting to get it in pieces over a long period of time.

I understand that people who are in the habit of buying floppies now obviously like that format, but I don't think that's a big enough market anymore, and I think few potential fans would prefer that over having actual full length graphic novel books.

Gotta' keep up with the times to survive and thrive, and the comics industry is operating like it's still the early 90s. And that's not even an exaggeration, that is literally what's happening, for the most part.
                      Star-Lantern
                      Weaponer of Qward
                      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-03-2019, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• ^Maybe. The shift to trade seems possible to me, but I don't know. If manufactuers find it worth while to press vinyl records for that niche market (which probably won't surprise you is me too), the relatively cheap printing of comics seems like it will stick around for a while. Heck, even print newspapers stubbornly cling to life.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 05-04-2019, 03:35 AM.

Comment

But then again, I'm a physical media kind of guy. I have hardly any music downloaded and no movies or shows
                          That's how I feel. I've spent large parts of my weekends reading comics on the DC Universe streaming service, but that could never replace physical comics for me. I often tell people that the "happiest place on Earth" isn't Disney World, it's your LCS.
                          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                            That's how I feel. I've spent large parts of my weekends reading comics on the DC Universe streaming service, but that could never replace physical comics for me. I often tell people that the "happiest place on Earth" isn't Disney World, it's your LCS.
                            That is true too. I don't stay super long at my LCS (mostly because there's no chairs and my legs aren't good), but I usually get in a chat with the manager and a couple people and I met a friend there. I also get recommendations for books, show, or cons. It's like geek central. I always look forward to the visit.

Comment

• I miss the days when going to the local comic store WAS a thrill for me. When my weekly stack really WAS a stack. I used to love it and looked forward to it all week. At my peak in the 80s and 90s I was reading 30+ titles a month. So many weeks I was taking home 10 or more comics at a time, not counting my back issue quests.

Good times.

Comment

^Maybe. The shift to trade seems possible to me, but I don't know. If manufactuers find it worth while to press vinyl records for that niche market (which probably won't surprise you is me too), the relatively cheap printing of comics seems like it will stick around for a while. Heck, even print newspapers stubbornly cling to life.
                                I guess it couldn't hurt to keep that system around as long as it's not the main venue for selling comics. If the publishers keep primarily operating with an early 90s mindset, they're only going to have an early 90s audience. They desperately need to find audiences outside of the comic shop, but a problem there is as long as they keep gearing their product to comic shop sensibilities with things like events, reboots, tie-ins, and crossovers, I don't see that happening. They would need good, self-contained, and complete stories, but comic shops usually respond most to stuff that's all flash and no substance that most other readers would find confusing or intimidating.
                                Star-Lantern
                                Weaponer of Qward
                                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-06-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X