Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Far Sector were an ongoing, it would already be canceled. And Odyssey is now at the cancellation level.

DC, let this be a lesson to you. More Green Lanterns don't help the property. They hurt it.

Do you folks realize that within living memory, your company refused for TEN YEARS to depict any other Green Lantern except Kyle Rayner? And today you've swung all the way over to this other wild extreme, which the now-out-of-favor Geoff Johns instigated!

Stop that shit!
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-18-2020, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• And the Bat-fans are really punishing you guys for your scam with Batman's "wedding." The comic has lost 40 percent of its sales!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        If Far Sector were an ongoing, it would already be canceled. And Odyssey is now at the cancellation level.

DC, let this be a lesson to you. More Green Lanterns don't help the property. They hurt it.
        !
        Sorry, but you're not seeing the bigger picture. IIRC, you do some type of writing and you like particular kinds of characters in certain types of stories. I can respect your passion for that, but printed stories, while still very important, are only part of the equation. The truth is that DC's (and Marvel's) characters are multimedia commodities, and the comic sales are only a tiny fraction of that. Tweaked versions of existing characters, new costumes, and new characters mean DC has the option of putting out action figures, T-shirts, video games, cartoons, statues, etc with those characters. That means they reach an audience who might not regularly buy comics.

Let me give you a couple of prime examples of what I mean. JL/JLU ended 14 years ago, but McFarlane just got the license to use those versions of the characters for a new figure line. That means that people who might not have thought about that cartoon for years, or might not even have an LCS, can wander into the toy aisle at Target or Wal-Mart and pick up figures that remind them of their childhoods. Likewise, a little girl can pick up multiple versions of Bumblebee, a character whom I can't even remember if she's ever had her own title. Do you think that little girl cares whether or not Bumblebee is a viable solo print property? No, she doesn't, and neither does DC.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Let's assume you're right. Then DC needs to keep all those Green Lanterns out of print, where they're screwing up the property. Make them television-only, or whatever.

Comment

Let's assume you're right. Then DC needs to keep all those Green Lanterns out of print, where they're screwing up the property. Make them television-only, or whatever.
            Exactly how are they hurting GL outside of telling a story in a way that you wouldn't? In a time when Justice League can't sell 50K copies and Hal's latest tale fell under 30K copies, you really want to cut off avenues of exposure? You really want DC to sell less product?
            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
              Exactly how are they hurting GL outside of telling a story in a way that you wouldn't? In a time when Justice League can't sell 50K copies and Hal's latest tale fell under 30K copies, you really want to cut off avenues of exposure? You really want DC to sell less product?
              The numbers are right up there. Read them and weep. Odyssey and Far Sector both sold a dreadful 17K copies last month. You can't spin that as doing anything but making the Green Lantern property look weak. I know you don't care and just want to see Jessica Cruz everywhere, including in the funny papers, but it's not about you. It's about those numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                The numbers are right up there. Read them and weep. Odyssey and Far Sector both sold a dreadful 17K copies last month. You can't spin that as doing anything but making the Green Lantern property look weak. I know you don't care and just want to see Jessica Cruz everywhere, including in the funny papers, but it's not about you. It's about those numbers.

Besides, DC won't sell once less Jessica doll if she's not in the comics. Little kids can't afford comics. They watch television.

Comment

Besides, DC won't sell once less Jessica doll if she's not in the comics. Little kids can't afford comics. They watch television.
                  Yes, it is about the numbers, and I'm not sure what numbers you're seeing. DC's premiere super hero group is selling less than 50K, which puts them behind several X-Men titles. Green Lantern's main title, despite being solid and a personal favorite, bled readership until it was barely 40K copies sold, and Blackstars 3rd issue couldn't even top 30K. None of that backs up the idea that GL's printed stories are unstoppable juggernauts that are being hurt by newer characters. In fact, combine Far Sector and Odyssey, and they outsold Blackstars last month, despite being properties that aren't designed to be ongoing.

Moreover, I have no earthly idea where you got this notion that I just want to "see Jessica everywhere" at the expense of the Green Lantern property. That is the exact opposite of everything that I've ever posted. I'm a *GREEN LANTERN* fan, which means that I'm behind any part of the mythos that increases the GLC's visibility in a world inundated with multimedia super hero content. The *facts* are that GL's current title is a deep-dive story that couldn't and didn't appeal to everyone, as is evidenced by the numbers. Green Lantern needs new readership (ALL comics need this to survive) and stories like Far Sector and Legacy were designed to give new readers different entry points. Green Lantern fans should be thankful for any exposure that the property gets in print, animation, live-action, and collectibles. All of that helps the Green Lantern property survive.

Comment

• Too diluted now to be a household name anymore. The GL franchise honestly never needed ANY more than three human characters. Hal, John and one more. I would prefer Guy, but I can see in this day and age one of them needs to be a gay woman of color just to cover all the bases. Do that and let all the rest of them fade away. If it even matters at this point. We are probably in the last 2 years of Green Lantern comics even being published.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      Too diluted now to be a household name anymore. The GL franchise honestly never needed ANY more than three human characters. Hal, John and one more. I would prefer Guy, but I can see in this day and age one of them needs to be a gay woman of color just to cover all the bases. Do that and let all the rest of them fade away. If it even matters at this point. We are probably in the last 2 years of Green Lantern comics even being published.
                      The only way I could envision that happening is if DC goes under. What do they have that's definitely working better than GL? Batman, Harley, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Even Flash is debatable. With new publishing styles like the novel style of Legacy, there is some evidence of DC using different formats for their stories, but DC Comics being like an 8 title per month company? That seems highly unlikely.

Comment

• Green Lantern: Legacy was the 9th best selling graphic novel for January.

Comment

• *cue the butthurt*

Hmmm, a kid version of GL actually working.... that's interesting. Between Legacy and the Teen Lantern in Young Justice I'd take the Legacy version hands down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                            Green Lantern: Legacy was the 9th best selling graphic novel for January.
                            Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                            *cue the butthurt*

Hmmm, a kid version of GL actually working.... that's interesting. Between Legacy and the Teen Lantern in Young Justice I'd take the Legacy version hands down.
                            I generally don't care for teen characters, but this one was an exception. It was not only a good entry point story, which GL desperately needed, it was a tight story overall. I think we're going to see more of these types of novels for GL since DC can tell this type of story without worrying about continuity with the main book(s).

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                              Wow, Far Sector is down there, will it make it to twelve?

Seems like there was more interest in the book, especially number one.
                              At $7.99 no. That's alot for a character that nobody's ever heard of. If it was at $2.99 or whatever the average price is now then people would have given it a chance.

I would have given it a chance if it was reasonably priced and the existing GLs were all placed somewhere. Guy, Kyle and Baz are still unaccounted for. The last time we saw Guy was in Doomsday Clock when Dr. Manhattan destroyed his ring. I guess we're supposed to believe he's been left powerless.

Comment

• 2 Green Lantern 1 $4.99 DC 113,651
                                14 Green Lantern 2 $3.99 DC 64,127
                                18 Green Lantern 3 $3.99 DC 54,398
                                22 Green Lantern 4 $3.99 DC 50,176
                                25 Green Lantern 5 $3.99 DC 47,325
                                22 Green Lantern 6 $3.99 DC 49,256
                                30 Green Lantern 7 $3.99 DC 45,338
                                31 Green Lantern 8 $3.99 DC 44,066
                                38 Green Lantern 9 $3.99 DC 43,401
                                54 Green Lantern 10 $3.99/4.99 DC 43,132
                                39 Green Lantern 11 $3.99 DC 41,044