Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel that Geoff Johns is still pulling the strings on the GL books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chosenone85 View Post
    Maybe I should have same "some" people. But there are "some" that do think that. Why else would this thread and others about Johns's influence over the line and other decisions at DC exist? My thing is why isn't Jim Lee, Bob Harras, and Dan Didio ever mentioned.
    Well, my guess (and remember my only argument was that the new teams might be too leery to undo Johns, not that he's dictating anything), is because Lee, Harras, and DiDio didn't write GL for a decade. I believe these guys are saying that Johns didn't let go of his old job completely, not that his new job is directly tied to the GL books. But again, that's not my view. I think Venditti is just hesitant to truly undo Johns' work when maybe doing so (especially with the various colors) might be a good idea..

Comment

I don't think he's hesitant, I mean his first issue he broke up Hal and Carol immediately.

Comment

I don't think he's hesitant, I mean his first issue he broke up Hal and Carol immediately.
        Well, he still has these new Guardians acting like bumbling jerks (Geoffcon), he still has Sinestro as the greatest lantern (Geoffcon), and he still has all the colored corps out there (Blue is gone, but with the potential to return since a ring survives).

I think he'd be better off undoing all that stuff although I admit that the only way I can see taking Sinestro down a peg would be by putting him in cold storage for a while and I don't really want that since that is a decent book.

Comment

Maybe I should have same "some" people. But there are "some" that do think that. Why else would this thread and others about Johns's influence over the line and other decisions at DC exist? My thing is why isn't Jim Lee, Bob Harras, and Dan Didio ever mentioned.
          Don't get me started on those guys. Especially Harras. DC hiring Harras is almost the single biggest example that can be pointed out of what's wrong at DC currently. All three really need to go, but he highlights the problem.

Comment

I agree, I believe Bob Harras as Editor in Chief is a huge mistake.

Comment

let's clear up a few things. Sinestro being the Greatest Green Lantern was not Goeff's idea. Goeff is just the first one who tried to elabroate on it. The Guardians Nor was the Guardians acting like dicks.

As for Goeff holding on the Green Lantern I remember hearing that he was he could only write 2 books now.

I personally think the Epic events is Didios idea,and they are fueled by the sucess of Rebirth and Sinestro Corps wars. I also think it is funny that Didio never seems to get mentioned.
              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                let's clear up a few things. Sinestro being the Greatest Green Lantern was not Goeff's idea. Goeff is just the first one who tried to elabroate on it. The Guardians Nor was the Guardians acting like dicks.
                The idea of Sinestro once being the Corps greatest is not Geoff's idea, true. The idea that he still remains the Corps greatest, and can basically do everything with a Green Ring better than anybody else even now, that's Geoff's "contribution". I'm not a fan of Mary Sue-nestro, myself.

As for the Guardians, previous writers have portrayed them as abrasive, insensitive, aloof, even "jerks", but they were still working for the good, and generally shown to be wise. Geoff was the first to show them as incompetent, stupid, and downright evil. He most definitely did a hatchet job on them that no previous writer had attempted.
                Mister Ed
                Horse of a Different Color
                Last edited by Mister Ed; 12-22-2014, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  The idea of Sinestro once being the Corps greatest is not Geoff's idea, true. The idea that he still remains the Corps greatest, and can basically do everything with a Green Ring better than anybody else even now, that's Geoff's "contribution". I'm not a fan of Mary Sue-nestro, myself.

As for the Guardians, previous writers have portrayed them as abrasive, insensitive, aloof, even "jerks", but they were still working for the good, and generally shown to be wise. Geoff was the first to show them as incompetent, stupid, and downright evil. He most definitely did a hatchet job on them that no previous writer had attempted.
                  Agreed. These were bad ideas to start with, and Geoff magnified them and beat them into the ground. The same thing with Hal having poor impulse control.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure who dreams up the crossovers at DC these days but I suspect that it's Geoff, being that he's DC's "chief creative officer" and that the crossovers are the area where someone with that job title would have the biggest impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                      I'm not sure who dreams up the crossovers at DC these days but I suspect that it's Geoff, being that he's DC's "chief creative officer" and that the crossovers are the area where someone with that job title would have the biggest impact.
                      Actually, while the job title IS somewhat vague, his main duties these days seem to be focused more on DC properties in other media, not designing comics crossovers. That's not to say that he never tosses an idea out there (I'd be surprised if he didn't), but he isn't likely to be actively orchestrating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                        Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        Actually, while the job title IS somewhat vague, his main duties these days seem to be focused more on DC properties in other media, not designing comics crossovers. That's not to say that he never tosses an idea out there (I'd be surprised if he didn't), but he isn't likely to be actively orchestrating them.
                        What he said.

Comment

I am afraid that is inncorrect. No Green Lantern is capable not even Sinestro,of half of the crap they use to be able to do. That is one of my main Gripes with Goeff run. He made the GL pretty damn weak.

What makes me pissed about Goeff's writting is he keeps playing Sinestro as the Greatest Green Lantern,but we still don't know why! Why Goeff! I want to know!

As for Guardians never being evil. Bull crap. Krona, Apa Alliapsa. And Emerald Dawn was not thier finest moment.

My point is simply this. If you don't like Goeff that's cool. His run was not perfect. However don't be one of those Goeff is responsable for everything bad madmen. Blame him for things he has done.
                          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

I am afraid that is inncorrect. No Green Lantern is capable not even Sinestro,of half of the crap they use to be able to do. That is one of my main Gripes with Goeff run. He made the GL pretty damn weak.

What makes me pissed about Goeff's writting is he keeps playing Sinestro as the Greatest Green Lantern,but we still don't know why! Why Goeff! I want to know!
                            He could go dark (turn black). He could strain so hard that he broke the ring (which he claimed he did on several occasions and that no other GL had).

As for Guardians never being evil. Bull crap. Krona, Apa Alliapsa. And Emerald Dawn was not thier finest moment...

I disagree. Those were renegade guardians. Before Johns the GotU were still basically benevolent beings though stoic and detached. With Johns they became downright duplicitous and eventually outright evil---and not just one or two rogue elements, but all of them. And lately, it seems the new guardians are getting closer to Geoff's version than their previous good-with-rare-exception status.

Comment

Geoff's job as Chief Creative Officer is to make sure that DC's properties translate over to the film, tv, and direct to dvd. He's responsible for the many DC related tv shows that we've seen lately. Those are the only "ideas" he is responsible for, presenting them to the big wigs at WB. The "ideas" guys are DC are Dan Didio, Jim Lee, and Bob Harras. But apparently on this board and others, Geoff Johns is the sole owner and dictator of DC Comics.
                              Guys, lighten up. Johns is a facilitator of the DC universe, and what the hell's the matter with that? So it's a mistake that folks in the Flash TV series are going to Ferris Aircraft's runway to test Barry's speed? Or that people are talking about taking weekend jaunts to Coast City? And that Arrow and Flash cross-overs are happening? That meta-villains are being given new origins in a destroyed super-collider with undetermined range (a redressed BC Place, which looks great by the way, better than the original). Johns is DEFINITELY in command of all of these things, because he knows the universe well. Through TV shows that are commanding pretty darn good ratings, we're luring an entire generation into action-adventure continuity. To sell the shows, you need the comics. To sell the comics, right now you need the shows.

This is an old story. The "Superman" TV show of the 1950s did it for both the Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane spinoff books. It built a franchise. The tag of every episode included a reference to Action Comics and Superman Magazine, and don't think for a minute that wasn't what got me into reading them. Batman, in 1966, camp and all? Same. Whole DC line went bat-crazy for a decade. Doesn't have to be a banner property. It can be Flash. It can be Wonder Woman. It can be Arrow.

This time next year, hopefully, we'll be talking about somebody else in the green. The table, methinks, is being set. With the demise of several of the GL titles, it will once again be Jordan in the driver's--or pilot's--seat. A necessary prelude.

Geoff Johns' name occurs in the credits for the TV shows, folks. Slowly but surely you may even grow to like his story treatments again.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                                Don't get me started on those guys. Especially Harras. DC hiring Harras is almost the single biggest example that can be pointed out of what's wrong at DC currently. All three really need to go, but he highlights the problem.
                                You have no idea how much I wish that DC would replace Bob Harass with Mark Doyle.

Comment

Working...
                                X