Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And do we count The Green Lantern season 1 and 2 as volumes 7 and 8? Or skip them and count them as glorified mini series?

Comment

I added up all the issues. If you could the Baz/Cruz title, the 0s, 1,000,000 type of issues, and both Morrison series...if Morrison DOES make it to #12 with season 2 that will be the 650th issue of Green Lantern as a regular publication. Odd coincidence.

Comment

I count them as Volume 1 from 1940s, Volume 2 from 1960s, and so on, whenever there is a reboot of the main title, that's a new volume to me!

However, look at this link: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=green+lantern

I've had sooooooo many confusing conversations with people, I don't think I've ever met a single person in real life who agrees with my ordering, and all comic bins I've seen have them listed with 1960s as Volume 1 and so on.

Glad to know people here hold the same standard as me.

Comment

^Well, when I got into collecting I was always told that Overstreet is the official guide, so I always go by them. They definitely see the Silver Age as volume 2 and so does Comic Vine.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post
            I count them as Volume 1 from 1940s, Volume 2 from 1960s, and so on, whenever there is a reboot of the main title, that's a new volume to me!

However, look at this link: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=green+lantern

I've had sooooooo many confusing conversations with people, I don't think I've ever met a single person in real life who agrees with my ordering, and all comic bins I've seen have them listed with 1960s as Volume 1 and so on.

Glad to know people here hold the same standard as me.
            You should ask these people if the Silver Age series is volume 1, what does that make the Golden Age series?
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

If I had to guess, I would say their answer would be that it was distinct enough that it isn't counted in the numbering for the GL series that deal with the GLC. That it would be Golden Age GL vol.1 or somesuch.

If that's their logic I can sort of understand it, given how different they are, and how disconnected story-wise (at least until later crossovers), but I don't happen to agree with it. The two characters are similar enough, even beyond the name, that they are clearly related. (If Al Pratt had his own Golden Age Comic, I might be more inclined to count it separately from Ray Palmer's, given that the name seems like the ONLY thing they share.)

Comment

Plus I think even shops with a good deal of vol. 2 probably don’t have more than a couple Golden Age GLs. They’d likely be wall books or graded comics. So they wouldn’t have to worry about them being in the bins next to the others. I’ve never even been in a shop that has such an extensive Golden Age collection that they bin them.

That said, Midtown Comics apparently labels the silver age as vol. 2.

In my experience, one of my local stores mislabels it vol. 1, but I’ve only seen that a couple of times that I recall (at non-local stores or cons). The vast majority that I’ve come across (if they label them at all) get it right.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 04-24-2020, 03:35 AM.

Comment

As far as shops go, I can see the attraction of labeling it vol.1 if you don't actually have any Golden Age stuff on offer. Saves having people who see "vol. 2" asking about vol. 1 when you aren't going to be able to help them with that (especially since, I'd wager, most people buying back issues of GL aren't even looking for stuff from the Golden Age).

Comment

If I owned a Comic shop I would have a GL volume 1 divider right behind the GL volume 2 one, just to troll the customers because there is never anything in it.

BTW, I wonder what collector out there HAS all 38 issues of GL volume 1. There must be somebody, at least ONE guy who has a complete set and finished it by the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                      I added up all the issues. If you could the Baz/Cruz title, the 0s, 1,000,000 type of issues, and both Morrison series...if Morrison DOES make it to #12 with season 2 that will be the 650th issue of Green Lantern as a regular publication. Odd coincidence.
                      I added up all the titles 2 months ago to see if there would be any way that DC could claim a GL #1000 in the near future. It was much closer than I originally suspected. I excluded books like Larfleeze, Sinestro, and Red Lanterns, but I included everything else like Guy's Warrior series, the crossovers with Aliens/Star Trek/PotA, New Guardians, and Green Lanterns. The count was 980, so if DC wanted to stretch the logic like Marvel did with Venom #150, they could publish a #1000 at some point in 2021.
                      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

^I can’t imagine they’d count Guy’s non-lantern title and crossovers. I don’t even tally Warrior in my GL collection (though admittedly I don’t have much of it).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          ^I can’t imagine they’d count Guy’s non-lantern title and crossovers. I don’t even tally Warrior in my GL collection (though admittedly I don’t have much of it).
                          I'm just saying that they could do so if they really wanted to put out another of those 1000s for a sales bump. We know that comic companies will use and any all gimmicks, and I cited Marvel as perhaps the most glaring example as they employed the most bizarre logic to come up with a milestone number for Venom. It was spurred on by the renewed interest surrounding the movie. Would DC do something like this to capitalize on interest for the HBO Max series? It's not impossible.
                          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Reading GL #22 from series 2. The backup is one of those annoying stories where Sue thinks Jim Jordan (her boyfriend and later husband) is Green Lantern. Does anyone remember if there's actually an issue where she finds out it's Hal?

Comment

As of Issue #36 of Vol. 3 she didn't know. I think she DID know after Sinestro Corps War. I don't know if she found out during that storyline, or else already knew. I'd have to pull out the books and look.

You'd THINK she might have figured it out after he sacrificed himself during Final Night, but I don't recall her or her husband figuring into that story at all. I'm not even sure if that segment of Hal's family was originally supposed to have died in Coast City. Might have been addressed in the Spectre run.
                              Mister Ed
                              Horse of a Different Color
                              Last edited by Mister Ed; 07-21-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

^Yeah, that's my feeling. It was essentially a Silver-Age subplot that got put on the back burner than was probably silently retconned by Johns. My thinking is when John started having Hal just appear to his family they all knew without explanation. Comicvine does list all her appearances. She only has 9 in series 2. I was thinking of pulling the last couple and seeing whether they mention her still thinking it was Jim.

Comment

Working...
                                X