No announcement yet.

DC's EARTH ONE Line Returns With GREEN LANTERN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For reasons unbeknownst to me, although DC and major book retailers (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) all advertised an on sale date of Tuesday, March 20th, 2018, and advertised that date for months ahead of time, it hit comic shops almost a week earlier. I had pre-ordered it from Amazon months ago, so my copy arrived today, on the book store release date.

This was the first new GL story I'd read since dropping the title from my subscription box with the launch of the Nu 52 era. I was spending too much money on all the company-wide crossovers tied into GL, and Nu 52 was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back". Since September 2011, the only GL books I've picked up and read have been trades collecting older runs that I enjoyed.

This book was exactly the kind of fresh start I was looking for. I find it interesting how the Guardians' introductions of the Manhunters and the GL Corps were reversed in this corner of the Multiverse. I think I know who the "Big Bad" introduced at the end of the story is meant to be. We'll see if I'm right when Vol. 2 comes out.

But I am wondering: With Sinestro still a GL, what are the yellow ring-slingers going to be called? You can't very well call them the Sinestro Corps if he's still a GL, now, can you?

Wonder how long it'll take them to do Vol. 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
      For reasons unbeknownst to me, although DC and major book retailers (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) all advertised an on sale date of Tuesday, March 20th, 2018, and advertised that date for months ahead of time, it hit comic shops almost a week earlier. I had pre-ordered it from Amazon months ago, so my copy arrived today, on the book store release date.
      I think that's the standard practice for titles that release in comic stores and book stores (new on the earliest Wednesday and released to wide market the following Tuesday). I've noticed it with manga before.

But I am wondering: With Sinestro still a GL, what are the yellow ring-slingers going to be called? You can't very well call them the Sinestro Corps if he's still a GL, now, can you?
      Yeah, either Sinny will make a move next volume or it's the Qwardian corps.

Umm, years? If the other vol. 2s are any indication.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Umm, years? If the other vol. 2s are any indication.
        Doesn't seem like DC has even green lit it yet.

Comment

I just finished reading this a few minutes ago. I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed this graphic novel. Other than a few pacing issues between panels this was super enjoyable It played out like a movie that I would want to see on the big screen. Loved the art. I liked how they played with the GL mythos and made it as mysterious to the reader as they did Jordan so we discovered past events along with him.

I liked that the Manhunters weren't predating the GLC in this world, but instead created to destroy the GLC. And putting it all hundreds of years in the past was great. Like in Star Wars when Obi Wan talks about the Clone Wars fleetingly and it is left to our imagination.

liked how they stopped the Manhunters but not in a permanent manner. They are still a threat and the fight is just starting. And the threat of the lone Guardian (I assume this universe's Krona) creating a yellow power source with the Qwardians was a great little tease for a future story we may or may not get.

As different as this was from the mythos I want, this was ten times better than the live action movie's story.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            I just finished reading this a few minutes ago. I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed this graphic novel. Other than a few pacing issues between panels this was super enjoyable It played out like a movie that I would want to see on the big screen...
            Yeah it was real cinematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              Yeah it was real cinematic.
              Very. Almost like storyboards. I could see this if not as a live action movie then an animated feature film.

Comment

I finally got my hands on a copy. I enjoyed it. True, I wasn't that enthused about the "Guardians are EEEEEE-vil!" aspect, even in an alternate timeline (each time they use that plot element, it just reinforces it as the "new normal" for the characters, and takes expectations further away from what the Guardians were intended to be), but all in all it was a cool take on the mythos.

I haven't read any of the other Earth One titles. Do they all take place in the same universe, or are they each their own thing? There certainly wasn't anything in this that pointed to the existence of other superheroes on Earth (though admittedly we saw little of Earth). Also this obviously takes place in the future somewhat.
                Mister Ed
                Horse of a Different Color
                Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I've read each of the Earth One books and the stories aren't connected. I guess they could in that they haven't contradicted each other yet.

The technology level does seem to vary in the books though, I'm not sure if that is intentional or an artistic choice, so maybe some are years apart and so on.

The other books didn't feel as futuristic as the Green Lantern one, except maybe Teen Titans.

Comment

Here's an interview about GL Earth One:
                    http://wordballoon.blogspot.de/2018/...ublic.html?m=1

Comment

I liked this book - it's certainly cinematic as people have pointed out. There are some nice new takes on the GL concept, and some of the characters, that I could see used in a movie, if they go that way. The basic story of Hal being thrown into the deep end, with the Manhunters and the Corps as being defunct is a nice dramatic element, but it caused the book to lag a bit on the middle for me, especially with Hal's learning curve since we all know what it is and what those rings can do.

Ultimately though, there's not enough of a new take on things to breathe new life into the concept that the books aren't doing now. It's a nice sci-fi take on GL, but taking the more superhero aspect out of it just makes it less satisfying than it could be. I'll be there should they decide to continue the story, I just hope they bring it and go for broke with BIG operatic sci-fi next time.

Comment

Meant to post this a long time ago:

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Damn, late to the party, but I ordered this and should have it read by the end of next week. Can't wait.
                          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hope you enjoy it. I conditioned myself to think of it as an elseword story and give a pass on changes to the story. I loved it. It would work great as a movie if they wanted.

Comment

Man I loved it, I broke out the GL shirt for the gym yesterday because of it. It really kind of struck me as more "Star Warsy" or Battlestar Galactica (love both) with the destruction of the corps and how Kilowog explained the legend of OA and the Guardians and Man-hunters. It felt very cinematic. I love the redesigned Manhunters, (like a cross between Terminator, a Cylon, and a Transformer) and how it took time for them to figure out how to use their powers, how things seemed so utterly hopeless before getting turned around. I think the reshuffled mythos works, but I have to admit I am a little tired of the whole "Guardians are the bad guys" twist.
                              http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah it was a good read. It felt like I was reading the adaption of a movie. And the changes kind of worked for what they were going for.

Comment

Working...
                                X