No announcement yet.

The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might be wondering what Johns said during those discussions. He actually didn't say much. One time he asked members for some ideas about what he should do in the Flash. Someone suggested that he use Guy, who wasn't being used then. He said that his brother was a fan of Guy and that he'd do it. But he never did.

Comment

REJOICE PEOPLE REJOICE

Comment

Beinging 60s GL characters back? No long drawn out windbag arcs where the universe is at stake? No gay color spectrum? The GLC not at the verge of extinction every issue? Treating Hal Jordan like an intergalactic cop again? Sign me up!!

Comment

In hindsight, Johns started screwing up Green Lantern long before he started writing it. I'm not a fan of Winick's writing, but if he had been allowed to re-establish the property as it was before except without Hal, then when Johns brought Hal back two and a half years later, he could not have proceeded to Geoffcon every detail about it with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            Beinging 60s GL characters back? No long drawn out windbag arcs where the universe is at stake? No gay color spectrum? The GLC not at the verge of extinction every issue? Treating Hal Jordan like an intergalactic cop again? Sign me up!!
            But I like Kyle and the various members of the Rainbow Brigade

Comment

I want to keep the Emotional Spectrum, the various colors and such.

Except for Ultraviolet. That garbage has got to go.

We've had the Source Wall broken in JLA. Isn't that where 5/7 of the Emotional Entities went after Blackest Night? Only Parallax and Ophidian should be left. But if the Source Wall is broken, then why can't the Emotional Entities return as well? All this "ooh, ahh" over the Strong Force (should be called the Strength Force, IMHO, we've already got a Strong Force), Still Force, etc, when the Emotional Entities could be used again.

But Ganthet and Sayd failed to use Kyle Rayner to bring back the Blue Lantern Corps, Kyle depowered back to Green only, and now Saint Walker is the sole BL. Atrocitus is still out there somewhere. Is Carol Ferris still a Star Sapphire? The Indigo Tribe has disappeared. And nobody knows what happened to Soranik Natu and the neutered Sinestro Corps.

It's like these high-school-educated script writers in the DC building can't stand to use anyone else's ideas, they have to invent "all new! Never seen before!" plots. There was a recent resurge of old 1980 GLC characters (F-Sharp Bell), but then the good artists for the series are dropped and we get crappy artists who can't draw our GLC the way it should be drawn. And the continuity is thrown from the train.

Consistency. That's what GL needs.

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                REJOICE PEOPLE REJOICE
                Fuck yeah.

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                We've had the Source Wall broken in JLA. Isn't that where 5/7 of the Emotional Entities went after Blackest Night? Only Parallax and Ophidian should be left. But if the Source Wall is broken, then why can't the Emotional Entities return as well? All this "ooh, ahh" over the Strong Force (should be called the Strength Force, IMHO, we've already got a Strong Force), Still Force, etc, when the Emotional Entities could be used again.
                Also, isn't that where Superboy-Prime is imprisoned? Wouldn't that break him free?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                  Also, isn't that where Superboy-Prime is imprisoned? Wouldn't that break him free?
                  I hope not. If I never see that character again, it would be too soon. I think I might dislike him more than Lobo, and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    I hope not. If I never see that character again, it would be too soon. I think I might dislike him more than Lobo, and that's saying a lot.
                    I've had a sneaking suspicion he'll turn up at some point in the Doomsday Clock business.

Comment

SDCC: Jim Lee and Dan DiDio on DC’s Future and Beyond
                      The focus of the panel then shifted to Green Lantern with the recent announcement of Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp taking over the book. “When I first took over at DC making Hal Jordan relevant again was one of my primary goals. At the time Hal was the Spectre and it completely destroyed and took apart the whole Green Lantern mythos. Geoff Johns figured out how to reassemble that mythos. Now we’re back at that point — we want to get back to Hal Jordan and make sure it’s clear why he’s important again.”

DiDio laughed, “So I was having dinner with Grant Morrison and I said “would you have any interest in doing Green Lantern,” and he said he was too busy,” but lo and behold, before the dinner was over, Morrison had admitted he came up with an idea for 12 issues already. “It’s a brand new but back-to-basics take on Hal Jordan,” DiDio explained, before bringing out Liam Sharp to elaborate on the process.

“I’ve never worked with Grant even though I’ve known him for years,” Sharp said, “this was like the planets aligned.”

“We were talking about space cops and what a space procedural would be, so what if someone was like…what if a giant space entity was building some giant device but it’s blocking the sun and causing floods on some other planets. A Green Lantern has to show up and say “hey, you can’t park that here.” Sharp laughed.

“We have to question what ‘justice’ is,” Lee said, “We always presume that the American type of justice is what the Green Lanterns use but there’s really only a couple human Green Lanterns. We have to take a look at what these other cultures and species think justice really is.”

“Hal’s really this drifter trying to hold down a job. He doesn’t really want to have a job. He’s really like a drifter. He wants to be up there, he doesn’t want to be down here. He’s really a genius on a savant level,” Sharp said about he and Morrison’s take on the character.

Comment

^You gotta love a guy who hadn't been asked to write a character (who is admittedly second tier) and had taken a break from regular writing duties at the company, BUT still has a 12-issue plan that character.

Comment

Going over the span of a single dinner from "not interested" to "needing 12 issues to tell his idea" is a sign that he is hungry to tell this story (pardon the pun). That's a good sign. Morrison telling stories out of boredom is okay, certainly better than other uninterested writers (Ennis, Ellis, Dixon), but when he's full of passion, he creates works like JLA, All-Star Superman and WE3.

That's not to say that Ennis or Ellis are bad writers, and even Dixon has created a few really powerful stories. When they're on, they're on. When they're on autopilot, it shows.

Comment

Hal is "a genius"? Eh. Well, whatever. It's Morrison. He's an actual craftsman.

Comment

I'm pumped!

Comment

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...g-geoff-johns/

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X