Hal's Green Briefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal's Green Briefs

DC made a big deal about Superman's coming back. Artists are putting them back on Batman almost everywhere. Will Hal ever get his classic look back? Do you want him to?

I honestly think the design felt more complete. I could give or take the shoulder points but the briefs just felt right with the green torso. I'd love it if they came back.

You mean the leotard? Fuck no. I mean, it wasn't BAD to have that, and it made more sense than Batman or Superman wearing underwear on the outside as it is all one piece but... no, looks weird now. Virtually no one has been clamoring for a return to that in the time since it was removed in GL: Rebirth.

I actually prefer the no shoulders look of the original Hal costume from the 60s. Made the green like a racing stripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      You mean the leotard? Fuck no. I mean, it wasn't BAD to have that, and it made more sense than Batman or Superman wearing underwear on the outside as it is all one piece but... no, looks weird now. Virtually no one has been clamoring for a return to that in the time since it was removed in GL: Rebirth.

I actually prefer the no shoulders look of the original Hal costume from the 60s. Made the green like a racing stripe.
      I think it looked cooler most of the time without the shoulder points.

Comment

I wouldn't bring them back. IMO, the underwear over the costume look should be eliminated from every hero except Superman. They made the right move tweaking Hal's costume when they did. No pointed gloves or boots though.

Comment

The ring makes a standardized GLC uniform. Recognized all over the universe. I don't mind the changes since Rebirth, but the classic look was there for a reason.

What I've learned from all the times power rings have failed, leaving their wielders to die or do things on their own, is that the uniform (Hal once said "It's not fabric") isn't enough. You need a backup razor-thin, nanotech-thin spacesuit for one, how many times have we seen GLs die in outer space. It needs to practically be Iron Man Mark 50 Bleeding Edge so a GL doesn't die from noxious fumes or hazardous conditions. There needs to be non-power ring weapons and communications.

I know this is never going to happen because for the GLC members, the ring is the thing. The power ring provides all, protects all, does all. And 85% of the plots with GL is about when the ring fails, or refuses to act for some obscure reason.

So - classic uniform? Not that important to me, I don't mind. But increase the intelligence and paranoia of the average ring wielder about the dependency of the ring. After all that's happened with Blackest Night, Relic, Third Army, etc, the veterans should be telling the rookies the problems with the rings.

Comment

No I like his look in the current title.
            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

I really prefer the current look - I knew that after Pacheco's redesign that things like the sharper angles and points would fall by the wayside after time and I'm glad that Jim Lee's shoulder things and neckline have also fallen away leaving only the Rebirth waistline. So now it's just as it was in the silver age without the green crotch. It took a little getting used to, but now I don't ever want it to go back.

Comment

It makes little difference to me. Batman and Superman look strange without though. It feels like a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation.
                You Go briefs and you are a old loser who is stuck in the Silver age. You go no briefs and you are a coward who doesn't appreciate the characters rich history.

Honestly though some of these heroes look Iconic in those original forms. Most people would kill to have a character that has that kind of recognition. Going against it feels like pissing in the wind to me.

GL's case though. I'd leave it up to the artist but I would never be ashamed of the classic.
                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                X