Post your ring collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
    Nice. I like that they glow. You should make a whole LOT of them!
    Again, not made by me. So, I have neither the molds nor the skill necessary to make them, I'm afraid.
    I have the GL issue of "the Silver Age" and it wasn't anything special. I'd have to check up on it tho .... this is the first I've heard of this. But I have rules for what counts and what doesn't ... mirages or illusions don't really count. But I might do the ring anyhow if I think it'd be neat. And it might be neat.
    Well, someone told me about the supposed differently colored power rings back when this series was hitting news stands, so take it with a grain of salt. It's possible they were just pulling my leg. I looked up Silver Age on wikipedia, and in the plot breakdowns for each issue, there's no mention of these new power ring colors. Granted, wikipedia isn't exactly what you'd call an authoritative source, but I figured it was a starting point, at any rate.
    I actually got to show this to Ethan Van Sciver and Patrick Gleason and they really dug it. Sadly it was right as Ethan was leaving, but it was still nice to show since I had no clue they'd be at Fan Expo.
    He's supposed to be at the Baltimore Comic Con the final weekend in September, if you want another chance to meet him and talk with him!

Comment

hah, no, that's okay. I made these rings for myself. It's enough that he saw them briefly and was genuinely impressed. Although he thinks the current Saphire ring is better than the ring-pop they gave her in AC Weekly. Can't say I disagree. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
        Well, someone told me about the supposed differently colored power rings back when this series was hitting news stands, so take it with a grain of salt.
        So, I downloaded the issue .... and it looks like your "someone" was right! There are differently colored GL rings in the book. The Silver Age is about gathering three items of power to make a super-weapon ... one of which is the Power Battery and another is a fragment of the Jeweled Mountains of Krypton. They use the jewel to overcome the battery's yellow weakness and split it's light into differently colored GL rings. They look exactly like green rings (the circle kind) only differently colored. Gotta make 'em! To think .... I thought my collection was complete.

Incidentally, the issue contains other GL-related oddities such as Agamemo merging with the battery itself and the GLs defeating him using all of their collective power ... as well as Catwoman kicking a Guardian square int he face!

Edit:
        By the way, the featured colord are red / orange (it's tough to tell what they were going for, these colors look somewhat similar int he comic), yellow, green, blue, and a deep purple. All have a circular-style GL symbol save for one panel which has the block-type (a red ring) ... although this might be an aberration. As states the oranges and reds kinda look similar ... and even switch with yellow sometimes. Although Catwoman consistantly has a purple ring.
        Gauntlet101010
        Alpha-Lantern
        Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 08-28-2008, 12:09 AM.

Comment

*bUmP*

More rings from me! Even though there's 8 of them, they're really only from two sources.

The first set are "Advanced Power Rings" (which, ironically, are kinda like the current Power Rings in their advancement). They're not really drawn consistantly and ... they didn't really exist. But they're neat enough and official enough for me to wanna make 'em! These rings were supposed to be more powerful than the Silver Age rings and also able to effect yellow ... however they made their bearers into what they feared most.

The next four are from the Silver Age miniseries mentioned earlier in this thread. Yeah .... the red one was the only colored ring that was boxy-shaped; the rest were circular. They were made by using jeweled kryptonite to filter out the yellow impurity ... and to refract the green energy into different colors (the villains also made yellow and green rings, but I already made those). Supposedly, these would still have to be charged every 24 hours ... which would make the yellow ring in the miniseries different than Sinestro's ring.
          Attached Files

Comment

The only ring I got was from the old GL figures (I bought Tomar-Re) and that can only fit on my little finger

Lime's Sinestro Corps rings are of an amazing quality! I'd love to see him do a Blue Lantern ring
            Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2008, 01:31 PM.

Comment

THAT is the single coolest GL ring I have ever seen. Amazing collection.

Comment

I remember Jack showing that one off a few years ago on the DCMB.

Back when I was still experimenting with brass ones,

Comment

Man I wish I could find some of these custom rings.

Comment

This is my favorite ring so far. Finally found a light up one.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice rings! Botht he light and and the yellow one.

Comment

Looks like one of ShaneM's rings. How tall is it from your finger?

Comment

Originally posted by IronLantern View Post

THAT is the single coolest GL ring I have ever seen. Amazing collection.
                          Thanks! I went through a number of years as a GL fan with NO power rings. But then, all of a sudden, in the 1990s, DC FINALLY realized there was a demand for replicas of the most powerful weapon in the universe, and then fans with the right set of skills started making their own, highly desirable replicas, for sale to other fans via eBay or GL-related websites, and before I knew it, I was well on my way to the collection I have today!
                          Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
                          I remember Jack showing that one off a few years ago on the DCMB.
                          Yeah, I've definitely shown it off over there a couple times over the years.

Refresh my Swiss cheese memory, will ya? What screen name do you use over on the DC boards?
                          Originally posted by IronLantern View Post
                          Man I wish I could find some of these custom rings.
                          I'm afraid it's all a matter of good luck and even better timing... which comes back to good luck, a lot of the time. My 14K gold Sinestro ring, for instance, was made by a jeweler who was VERY active on eBay in the first half of this decade, but then, at some point in 2004, he stopped selling his fantastic rings... I don't know the official reason, but I can make an educated guess. For a year or 2 before that, he had been contacting DC Comics, trying to get them to let him produce his DC Comics rings under a license from them. My guess would be that they said no, AND issued him a Cease & Desist order as well. But again, that's just an educated guess, I could be wrong.
                          Originally posted by Sinestro's Parallax View Post
                          This is my favorite ring so far. Finally found a light up one.
                          FANTASTIC! Very few people have attempted a light-up ring of the Version 2/Kyle Rayner ring design!

Just out of curiosity, 2 questions:
                          1. What size is it?
                          2. WHERE did you find it?
                          If the maker's still offering them and if they're the right size, I might contact him (or her) about procuring one for myself.
                          Looks like one of ShaneM's rings. How tall is it from your finger?
                          Is ShaneM one of the guys over at League of Heroes (I hope I'm remembering that forum's name correctly)?

If so, I definitely need to visit that forum more often!
                          Jack T. Chance
                          Really knows where his towel is!
                          Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Is ShaneM one of the guys over at League of Heroes (I hope I'm remembering that forum's name correctly)?
                            Yes he is, and he can be found on League of Lanterns too

http://leagueoflanterns.yuku.com/topic/419

He made the bubbly clear rings sold on ebay a couple weeks ago too. I have been watching his progress on those boards in the last few months.

Refresh my Swiss cheese memory, will ya? What screen name do you use over on the DC boards?
                            Back in 01' it was Qwardian, then a year or two later I made another account as Limelantern. I have used it on GL boards ever since.

And if your gold ring has lines running down the sides (or ribbed in any way), then there are silver versions that appear every now and then on ebay. They typically sell in the $80-90 range. I was not sure if it was the same but the symbol on the face is identical.

Comment

Yes he is, and he can be found on League of Lanterns too

http://leagueoflanterns.yuku.com/topic/419

He made the bubbly clear rings sold on ebay a couple weeks ago too. I have been watching his progress on those boards in the last few months.

Back in 01' it was Qwardian, then a year or two later I made another account as Limelantern. I have used it on GL boards ever since.

And if your gold ring has lines running down the sides (or ribbed in any way), then there are silver versions that appear every now and then on ebay. They typically sell in the $80-90 range. I was not sure if it was the same but the symbol on the face is identical.
                              Yes, it has those lines/ridges. You can see them a little bit in this photo of my 14K gold Sinestro Power Ring Version 1 next to DC Direct's Sinestro Power Ring Version 2:

The seller's name was gcdesigns, if I remember correctly. But, like I said, he hasn't sold his rings in something like 4 years, which really sucks. At my suggestion, he was working on designing and making the Legion of Superheroes Flight Ring, which would have been made out of real gold (most likely 14K) with an onyx stone/inlay. But as far as I know, he never completed it, so I've never been able to get that highly desirable ring.

On another note, go over there and give ShaneM some pointers on how to get rid of the bubbles! That crazy frakker is trying to make a light-up Sinestro Corps ring, and I want one... just not one that's full of bubbles!
                              Jack T. Chance
                              Really knows where his towel is!
                              Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 10-31-2008, 06:16 AM.

Comment

That's the one, i have seen a few silver ones sell on ebay over the last two years. But not from that seller.
                                I would love to have a gold ring with the current Sin corps symbol on it.

something along the lines of

mentioned in this thread
                                http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ight=gold+ring

And as far as the bubbles go, I assumed he is pouring way too quickly with very cold resin. As well as mixing the resin and hardner to fast. Or his mix is incompatable with his mold material.

And I have actually seem more fan created Legion rings out there than GL ones. It has actually been frustrating for me since I never really cared for Legion at all but was looking for a GL ring for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X