Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
    Silver Bullet
    See, I forgot Silver Bullet. But werewolves are my favorite monsters so I set a lower bar for them.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
    ...I get to 9 before I start to feel guilty.
    I'm surprised Late Phases isn't on your list. It's like Gran Turino with werewolves.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 12-02-2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Never seen Late Phases. But I AM a huge mark for Gran Torino.

Comment

• Didn't mean to derail your vampire discussion BTW. These vampire movies were ones I was thinking of off the top of my head, but not my ironclad top 10 list. Would have to put more thought into it.

Dracula 31
        Coppolas Dracula
        Hammer Dracula
        Nosferatu
        Near Dark
        Interview
        30 Days of Night
        Let me in
        Let the right one in
        Daybreakers
        From Dusk Til Dawn

Comment

...I get to 9 before I start to feel guilty.
          Then you haven't had enough alcohol today.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Then you haven't had enough alcohol today.
            No sadly, I haven't!

Comment

Never seen Late Phases. But I AM a huge mark for Gran Torino.

I think you'll like it. I'm not saying it's Eastwood quality, but that would be the pitch.

Didn't mean to derail your vampire discussion BTW. . .
              It's a pretty related topic and point. I have to admit that the pool for werewolves is shallower, but I just personally feel like there are more than 10 very entertaining lycanthropic movies.

I make a point of watching one movie that has a werewolf in it (doesn't have to be the only monster in it---for instance, Monster Squad is game) for every full moon. Last time I catalogued, I have almost enough movies to qualify to fill three years without repeating. That's not the way it actually works (my favs get hit more often than say Howling V), but I could.

Near Dark

Interesting. That was on Grumpy Andrew's list too. I remember liking that movie, but I need to buy it and watch it again. It's been a while. I remember when I read the bit in Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned about the vampires that live cheaply and wander the desert (the Fang Gang), I thought of that movie.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-02-2017, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Speaking of, any news on where Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles tv show is at in the pipeline?

Comment

Speaking of, any news on where Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles tv show is at in the pipeline?
                  I heard her interview on that and she made it sound like they were ready to cast, but that was a while ago. Since I don't watch TV, I haven't chased the news as much as I might. I figure I'll wait until it's done and on Netflix.

Comment

• I love the idea of her doing (roughly) one season per book. I so want to see The Vampire Lestat done properly, with it ending on the big moment going into the following season for Queen of The Damned. Though it sounds like they will split it up chronologically, doing the first half of Lestat, then Interview, then the last half of Lestat, then Queen. Which makes sense.

Comment

• ^Yeah, I'd probably go chronological if I were making that show. I'm guessing they will also ignore the contradictions between Louis and Lestat's accounts. And I assume they'd go with the Lestat continuity (that he napped for a century) since his books dominate the Chronicles.

Comment

• I would rather they stay as close to the books as possible, but Rice said they would change things up for the show. I don't know if we should take that as TWD kind of changes to offer surprises for longtime fans, or changes to rework the stories to help translate to a different medium. For me the long nap can stay unless they feel they have stories they need to tell during that time period.

Comment

• Well, my real druthers, since I don't care about TV, would be that they make a serious attempt to do a good movie of Lestat and Queen. There's actually a couple things I like about QotD (and I own it for completion's sake), but they got so, so much wrong, especially compared to Neil Jordan's Interview.

Comment

• Finished reading the Mummy: Palimpsest comics, including the backup articles. Enjoyed the one for Mummy's Shroud (really would like to get a "beware the beat of the cloth-wrapped feet!" poster, but damn are they pricey). The one for Blood from the Mummy's Tomb was borderline depressing; I've been interested in that one for a while, but jeez, what a dark development cycle.

The articles also mentioned some other flicks, The Pirates of Blood River, Plague of the Zombies, which I've added to my Netflix list, as well as finally remembering to search for Witchfinder General.

My dad will probably be annoyed at all the horror flicks, because he doesn't care for horror flicks. Gonna have to dig out what I haven't watched in my personal collection to avoid stoking his irritation more than necessary.

Comment

• Dark Corners' excellent look at the Hammer Frankenstein franchise and a bit of the studio history too.

+ YouTube Video
                              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

"Come on, David, you can play house later!"

First time watching this, my dad thought it was his second but it had been decades for him. When I was a kid in middle school, there was a horror film book adaptation series that had this, so I read it and that was my only exposure to the first film.

Actually viewing this, it's a pretty good blend of the sci-fi theme the '50s became synonymous with and the horror of the '30s and '40s. I didn't expect the Big Bang lesson at the beginning, so that was a very wonderful surprise.

One big issue for my dad was the Devonian period the film kept referencing. He quite literally flipped his shit, accused the film of making the whole thing up, turned on his Amazon Fire, and then educated himself bitterly. It was bizarre as shit to see him do this.

He also accused the film of being racist for having "jungle Indians who can't defend themselves when that wouldn't happen to a white character."

That incredible awkwardness aside, the film was very enjoyable. The plot and acting was solid, with competent science and the argument of discovery-vs-funding (granted, plenty of flicks address this, but it felt more balanced here and not weighted to one end or another). On this note, Mark is a huge douchebag. I get that he's the embodiment of the "we need the prestige!" side of things, and Richard Denning does a helluva job.

His peers, David (Richard Carlson) and Kay (Julie Adams) are also performed fairly well, though for me Kay's constant screaming (even if a staple of that era) got old fast.

And then there's the title character himself, the Gillman. Costume was absolutely awesome; must have really stunned audiences at the time seeing something so well-designed. Really thought the fins on his back and legs were a brilliant touch, as well as the gills on his head opening every time he opened his mouth.

I swear that there's a clip with the boat captain, Lucas (Nestor Paiva), where he is sitting in his chair and blows the ship's whistle and a crocodile scurries away, that is recycled into Revenge of the Creature. In fact, there may be a few reused clips of the jungle scenes.

Going to need to watch the second and third films (only ever saw Revenge as an MST3K episode, and have only seen Walks once long ago after reading about it in a book as a kid).

Comment

Working...
                                X