Any other Star Trek fans on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Yep. Unfortunately, whenever I do see that say all of TNG is a good price or something, it’s always at a time when I’m trying to save some money and not use the credit card. I still haven’t adapted to the idea that shopping in-store and with cash isn’t sufficient anymore.
    I was quite happy when my Brother-in-Law decided, as part of reducing his collection of DVDs, to send me all 5 seasons of Babylon 5, something I've wanted for a while, but could never justify the price. Also gave us Firefly, which I'd been meaning to rewatch. I wasn't QUITE so thrilled that he sent it as part of several full boxes of stuff, most of which we had no interest in, without asking in advance whether that would be OK. But now many of my and my wife's co-workers, and a few people from church, are grateful to us for handing out scads of free DVDs (didn't feel right trying to sell them, since I got them free, plus selling is a hassle).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post

I was quite happy when my Brother-in-Law decided, as part of reducing his collection of DVDs, to send me all 5 seasons of Babylon 5, something I've wanted for a while, but could never justify the price. Also gave us Firefly, which I'd been meaning to rewatch. I wasn't QUITE so thrilled that he sent it as part of several full boxes of stuff, most of which we had no interest in, without asking in advance whether that would be OK. But now many of my and my wife's co-workers, and a few people from church, are grateful to us for handing out scads of free DVDs (didn't feel right trying to sell them, since I got them free, plus selling is a hassle).
      Something like that happened to me. A friend from church got a few boxes of DVDs and BDs. He took what he wanted, passed them on to his in-laws (also friends from church) and they gave me everything left (which was still a lot because they don't necessarily "collect" movies). I took a lot, but I did add a small stack to a pile I intend to trade in for credit the next time I go to FYE.

Babylon 5 and Firefly are both great.

Comment

Something like that happened to me. A friend from church got a few boxes of DVDs and BDs. He took what he wanted, passed them on to his in-laws (also friends from church) and they gave me everything left (which was still a lot because they don't necessarily "collect" movies). I took a lot, but I did add a small stack to a pile I intend to trade in for credit the next time I go to FYE.

Babylon 5 and Firefly are both great.
        If it weren't for the likely sky high shipping costs, I might have considered sending the excess to you.

Comment

• ^It's nuts. I hear stories of some small companies shipping their inventory out of Mexico to the US because it's cheaper than interstate. Anyway, there's a good chance I'd have a lot of them. I'm approaching 2,000 movies in my collection. Thanks for the thought.

Comment

^It's nuts. I hear stories of some small companies shipping their inventory out of Mexico to the US because it's cheaper than interstate. Anyway, there's a good chance I'd have a lot of them. I'm approaching 2,000 movies in my collection. Thanks for the thought.
            It was mostly TV series, rather than movies. So if you are mostly getting movies, maybe you wouldn't have been interested anyway. Very few were complete, as well, usually missing some seasons. Still it wasn't hard to unload Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory seasons (sitcoms still work fine without being complete), but it took a while before my wife found somebody willing to take the huge (yet incomplete) mass of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis off our hands, and we never did find somebody interested in partial runs of Smallville or Andromeda.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Do yourself a favor and JUST watch season 3. Then cancel Paramount+ and put "Not interested in Kurtzman Trek, only Matalas Trek" as the reason.
              Not sure if I'll pick it up later, but I basically did this. I gave the reason "I don't like automatic billing and I don't like Kurtzman's Star Trek." I have until the end of the month now.

Comment

• For some reason I just reviewed this entire thread over the past week. It was kind of sad to read posts from old me, who was obviously very engaged with Trek, and excited about stuff, and eager to discuss things, and then compare it to my current apathy. It just seems like I've gotten more cynical and/or jaded with the passing years. I can't think of any entertainment that engages my enthusiasm these days like those old posts clearly show my feelings about Star Trek back then. I still enjoy stuff, but nothing at that level. Maybe that's just a more mature attitude toward things that ultimately don't matter all that much, but looking back, I think I miss feeling that engaged with a fictional setting. I just can't picture it happening again.

Comment

• ^It's just tough. I used to be caught up on Trek and could mostly speak well about it. Now, there's as many ongoing series on Paramount+ as there ever were combined before it.

Comment

^It's just tough. I used to be caught up on Trek and could mostly speak well about it. Now, there's as many ongoing series on Paramount+ as there ever were combined before it.
                    Lots of ongoing series... none of it Trek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Lots of ongoing series... none of it Trek.
                      I still have only dabbled in Prodigy, but (1) even that--which I don't hate--feels more like an all-ages Star Wars cartoon; (2) the trailers and stuff I see seem to back up your view. The guys at Red Letter Media are not prone to say things like "woke" at all, but they bad mouth Discovery and Picard I think especially because of it getting either too blockbusterlike (like the Abrams movies that wanted to be Star Wars) or too dark.

Comment

• I did watch a couple of Prodigys out of curiosity. Nope. It's the visual style of the Clone Wars cartoon with a mixmatch of Guardians of the Galaxy-type characters. Nothing remotely Trek about it.

Also, as a big Rick and Morty fan I gave Lower Decks a shot. I really tried. I watched like 6 of them. Nope. It's painfully unfunny. It's equating humor with, like, the # of references to "obscure" episode of Star Trek they can have characters stammer out. Also it's rather lewd and is constantly trying to shock. It's nothing like Trek at all.

The only good NuTrek: the first episode of STP season 1, the first episode of STP season 2, and the whole season 3 of STP. Nothing else.

Comment

• Happy First Contact Day! 39 years to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X