• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anaconda (1997)

Gary: There's something down there.
    Paul Serone: That right.
    Gary: No, I really mean it.
    Paul Serone: I really mean it too.

This is such a guilty pleasure of mine... I saw it at the theater when it came out, and it's so over the top and awful it's hilarious. If I had one reason to watch it, that reason is Jon Voight and his out of control South American accent. The special effects were "ok" at the time; Spielberg still dominated that field when this was released. But Jon Voight totally steals the show with his raspberry awarded performance. Despite the many negative reviews and rewards this film got, it still did well at the box office, bringing in triple it's budget, so of course the green light was on for less than stellar sequels that tried to be serious when they ended up being jokes to laugh at, not with. At least the first film didn't take itself too seriously.
    Jeff
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Jeff; 03-06-2022, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Anaconda (1997)

Gary: There's something down there.
      Paul Serone: That right.
      Gary: No, I really mean it.
      Paul Serone: I really mean it too.

This is such a guilty pleasure of mine... I saw it at the theater when it came out, and it's so over the top and awful it's hilarious. If I had one reason to watch it, that reason is Jon Voight and his out of control South American accent. The same effects were "ok" at the time; Spielberg still dominated that field when this was released. But Jon Voight totally steals the show with his raspberry awarded performance. Despite the many negative reviews and rewards this film got, it still did well at the box office, bringing in triple it's budget, so of course the green light was on for less than stellar sequels that tried to be serious when they ended up being jokes to laugh at, not with. At least the first film didn't take itself too seriously.
      I own that one on blu ray and have the Rifftrax audio for it too. It is fun. I've also seen all the sequels including the Lake Placid crossover.
      I tend to like boat adventure movies.

Comment

• / \ I was thinking while I watched it that there might be one of those rifftrax parodies of it that you watch because it's so goofy.

We Summon The Darkness (2019)

The only thing this flick summoned was contempt. It was filed under "possession" in Netflix and sounded fairly good...people go to a heavy metal concert, and later become victims of a satanic cult. While there is a bit of a plot twist, you already know who's gonna live and die. There is no "possession" element to this film whatsoever, nor is there anything supernatural about it. It sucks. It's about twisted people with a moral compass gone south, even though they think they are doing the work of the Lord. At least the ending was cool, but it still didn't justify wasting an hour and a half of my life to watch it. Do NOT recommend this flick. To anyone.

Comment

• The Exorcism of God. (2022)

You know, I'm still not sure what I watched regarding this movie, but it was....something else. The amount of homage this pays to the 1973 film is bland rip off without respect. I'm surprised there isn't a lawsuit from Warner Brothers (or if there is, it wouldn't surprise me at all). Dialogue stolen almost line for line from 1973. But, in a really weird situation....

You ever wonder what would have happened if one of the priests actually had sex with Regan like she kept ordering them to? This film answers that question. And the thought is more disturbing than any of the actual horror aspects (of which there are many, some of them even good) of the film overall. So what happens when the child grows up? She gets possessed, of course. And daddy dearest is the one to do the job, although the tables get a bit turned on him. The demon possessing the girl (and many others) is named Balban, one I've never heard of. And the chief Exorcist warns the priest not to make deals with Balban. So the priest does exactly that...makes a deal. And I swear the guy playing the chief Exorcist is the same dude that was the butler in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

The ending isn't really much of an ending to be honest; different people get possessed while those that were part of the bargain were saved. It's basically a switcheroo thing. While I dislike certain elements of the film (especially the rip offs of 1973) I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this nor did I really consider it a waste of time. It's just hard to mentally put all the parts together to come up with a "what the hell did I just see?" Answer.

Comment

The Exorcism of God. (2022)...
            You should have cross-posted in “Last Film.” It’s been 3 weeks since I made that massive post and I’ve already added a few titles to it.
            Anyway, this one sounds weird, but not without interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

You should have cross-posted in “Last Film.” It’s been 3 weeks since I made that massive post and I’ve already added a few titles to it.
              Anyway, this one sounds weird, but not without interest.
              It's worth a watch. The only thing that really bugged me as I watched the film were that there were no subtitles for the Spanish being spoken throughout the movie. I would have liked to have known what was being said because it could have been important to the story. But if you can understand the language, more power to you. It's roughly 60% English, 40% Spanish.

Comment

It's worth a watch. The only thing that really bugged me as I watched the film were that there were no subtitles for the Spanish being spoken throughout the movie. I would have liked to have known what was being said because it could have been important to the story. But if you can understand the language, more power to you. It's roughly 60% English, 40% Spanish.
                I took Spanish in college, but never became fluent. When I hear a Spanish conversation, I’d say I get like 10% of it (maybe a little better) and occasionally get the flow.

Comment

• Best Horror Movies of 2022 Ranked: New Scary Movies Best to Worst (Rotten Tomatoes)

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...movies-ranked/

No argument on the last one. Hehe.

Comment

• Sven Faulconer Joins Brian Tyler To Co-Score Matt Bettinelli-Olpin’s & Tyler Gillett’s ‘Scream VI’

Sven Faulconer (Blood Father, The Last Ice, Into the Okavango, Assimilate) has joined Brian Tyler (Avengers: Age of Ultron, Fast & Furious, Iron Man 3, Crazy Rich Asians) to co-score the upcoming slasher sequel Scream VI. The film is directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin & Tyler Gillett and stars Melissa Barrera, Jasmin Savoy Brown, Hayden Panettiere, Courteney Cox, Mason Gooding, Jenna Ortega, Jack Champion, Henry Czerny, Dermot Mulroney, Liana Liberato, Devyn Nekoda, Josh Segarra, Tony Revolori and Samara Weaving. The movie follows the four survivors of the events in last year’s Scream sequel as they leave Woodsboro behind and start a fresh chapter. James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) & Guy Busick wrote the screenplay and is also producing the Radio Silence and Project X Entertainment production with William Sherak (Suspiria) and Paul Neinstein (Bed Rest). Tyler has previously scored last year’s Scream, while Marco Beltrami composed the music for the first four movies in the horror series. Scream VI is set to be released in theaters nationwide on March 10, 2023 by Paramount Pictures.
                    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/01...tts-scream-vi/

Marco Beltrami Scoring Chris McKay’s ‘Renfield’

Marco Beltrami (3:10 to Yuma, Logan, Scream, A Quiet Place, World War Z, The Wolverine, Ford v. Ferrari) has recently recorded his score for the upcoming horror comedy Renfield. The film is directed by Chris McKay (The LEGO Batman Movie, The Tomorrow War) and stars Nicholas Hoult, Nicolas Cage, Awkwafina, Ben Schwartz and Adrian Martinez. The movie centers on the Dracula’s titular loyal servant who – after centuries of servitude – is ready to see if there’s a life outside the shadow of The Prince of Darkness. Ryan Ridley (Ghosted) wrote the screenplay based on an original idea by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead, Invincible). McKay and Kirkman are also producing the Skybound Entertainment production with David Alpert (American Ultra, Locke & Key), Bryan Furst & Sean Furst (Daybreakers). Renfield will be released in theaters nationwide on April 14, 2023 by Universal Pictures. Visit the official movie website for updates.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/01...kays-renfield/

Comment

• I know this Thread is for horror "cinema", but I'm gonna stretch it a bit to include horror "entertainment" overall, instead of creating a dumb, useless thread that will just sit in this section with no updates for a year.

Ok, so....anyone watching "The Last of Us"? I'm caught up to episode 5, and that episode in itself was exciting, nail biting, suspenseful, and absolutely heart breaking. I can kind of see the pattern regarding how they will frame each episode, and I also view it as the new "The Walking Dead". I just hope we don't have to go through 30 seasons before "the expected" happens (trying not to spoil it since it's relatively new).

Comment

Working...
                      X