No announcement yet.

Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't think of a single horror or slasher movie I like that is in any way realistic.

As for TCM the best testament to how good it is comes from a censor. James Firmen (then chief censor for the BBFC) tried to make cuts for a cinema release and stated that no matter which way he cut it, he couldn't get rid of the "relentless air of terror" in that film. Not to mention John Carpenter said it agitated him the whole time he saw it and then went home and slept like a baby.

Saw TCM: The beginning and was bored.
    Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

LOVE Alien and Aliens. Classics that should be in everyone's library. Fuck Alien 3, 4, and the 2 AVP movies. They don't even exist in my world.

I'm PUMPED for Prometheus and can't wait to see it in the theater. I love that it appears to be a new story that merely ties in to Alien, and not just another Alien movie. And it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
        A) Good taste, have you ever seen any of the wrong turns?
        B) I think they should have ended with an alternate part 6 when Tommy becomes Jason 2 and another little kid kills him.
        C) I've never seen Freddy V Jason, but i've always wanted to.
        D) 100% agree, 5 was a fuckin fantastic film, but under rated because Jason wasn't in it. Also, my favourate scene is at the begining where this fat guy keeps pissing people off and some dude just slashes his belly open with an axe! That is what should be in comedeys instead of these stupid little lovey dovey ones you get.
        A) Thought the first Wrong Turn was a decent flick and entertaining. The 2nd and 3rd were dogshit.

B) I wanted Tommy to be the killer with part 6 and part of me has always been letdown that we never got to see where that might have gone. But I love Jason as a monster so much and enjoyed 6 and 7 for the fun zombie/monster flicks that they are...that I can't help but forgive them.

C) See it. One of the funnest times I ever had at a theater seeing a horror movie. The place was filled with guys like me who grew up with the franchises. People were cheering and popping at all the right spots.

D) I loved that there were over a dozen people set up just to kill, but even in their short times on screen, so many of them were hilarious. And Reggie The Reckless? Demon? Fucking classic!

"Damn enchilladas!"

Comment

I really don't get the appeal of slasher films and Zombie flicks bore me.

On the flip side, I loved Event Horizon, Trick'R'Treat, (Laars Von Trier's) Kingdom, and Let The Right One In. Where the horror is very much supernatural and often doesn't get fully explained so the horror follows you out of the cinema as you work it out in your own head.

I like my horror to be something where the intensity builds throughout the film but isn't just there for the next 'jump' moment.

Deadpool, British Lantern if you're interested, there's a great independent Horror film festival held in October at the Sheffield Showroom (usually the weekend before Halloween) called Celluloid Screams. Tickets are around £60 which covers the Friday Evening shows, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. Have a look at the Website if you're interested. (It should go without saying, over 18s only)
          Minimum space distance:
          a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
          ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

I think for some fans, the slasher genre is a piece of nostalgia to a fun time of our lives. Much like Star Wars took over the lives of men of certain age, the slasher genre was at it's peak in the perfect time of my life for me to enjoy those kind of films. They are a lot of fun to me, and I've always missed their passing. Even a lot of the lower tier, wannabe franchises had their own charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
              Love the original TCM. The remake was awesome and one of the only horror remakes to actually be worthwhile. The prequel to the remake might even be better. I flipflop back and forth on which one I like better.

Parts 2, 3, and 4 of the old series are terrible, and get worse in that order. Though there are some aspects of part 2 that I find entertaining. When I upgraded my horror movies from VHS to DVD, I got rid of those movies and pretend they don't exist.
              Yeah.
              Just stick with those three. They're all great. Forget the others.

This Halloween the new TCM sequel is coming out, which is supposed to act as an actual sequel to the original Hooper film and forgets everything else. I was prepared to avoid it altogether, but there are some people working on it that give the movie a bit of a pedigree. Now I'm going to give it a shot.

But I'm still let down that Platinum Dunes didn't get to do that 3rd film in the remake series; I was really hoping for one in the middle where we got the story of the female hitchhiker.
              Sounds fantastic.
              LOVE Alien and Aliens. Classics that should be in everyone's library. Fuck Alien 3, 4, and the 2 AVP movies. They don't even exist in my world.

I'm PUMPED for Prometheus and can't wait to see it in the theater. I love that it appears to be a new story that merely ties in to Alien, and not just another Alien movie. And it looks great.
              I hated 1. I just found it a bit boring and there wasn't ennougth action. I loved 2, it was fantastic. I was disapointed with 3, it was a bit boring, and as for 4, it was ok, but not outstanding. I aint seen the AVPs in a while, so I renember hardly any of them.
              A) Thought the first Wrong Turn was a decent flick and entertaining. The 2nd and 3rd were dogshit.

B) I wanted Tommy to be the killer with part 6 and part of me has always been letdown that we never got to see where that might have gone. But I love Jason as a monster so much and enjoyed 6 and 7 for the fun zombie/monster flicks that they are...that I can't help but forgive them.

C) See it. One of the funnest times I ever had at a theater seeing a horror movie. The place was filled with guys like me who grew up with the franchises. People were cheering and popping at all the right spots.

D) I loved that there were over a dozen people set up just to kill, but even in their short times on screen, so many of them were hilarious. And Reggie The Reckless? Demon? Fucking classic!

"Damn enchilladas!"
              A) I liked 1 alot, 2 is one of my favourate films of all time, 3 was a bit disapointing, and I haven't seen 4.
              B) I wanted Tommy to be the killer too! The franchise would have been more than just a slasher, it would've been a physcological thriller!
              C) Sounds great!
              D) Yeah.
              Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
              I really don't get the appeal of slasher films and Zombie flicks bore me.

On the flip side, I loved Event Horizon, Trick'R'Treat, (Laars Von Trier's) Kingdom, and Let The Right One In. Where the horror is very much supernatural and often doesn't get fully explained so the horror follows you out of the cinema as you work it out in your own head.

I like my horror to be something where the intensity builds throughout the film but isn't just there for the next 'jump' moment.

Deadpool, British Lantern if you're interested, there's a great independent Horror film festival held in October at the Sheffield Showroom (usually the weekend before Halloween) called Celluloid Screams. Tickets are around £60 which covers the Friday Evening shows, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. Have a look at the Website if you're interested. (It should go without saying, over 18s only)
              So, you're not a fan of slashers and zombie fulms hey. I thought let me in was good too. And i'm not botherd about the festivel, I prefer to watch things in the comfert of my own home! Thabks for telling us though.
              Originally posted by IonFan
              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
              Originally posted by Quaker
              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

this movie still scares the fuck out of me

.................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

red x's are scary as shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                    red x's are scary as shit.
                    my post? i can see it clearly

the movie is poltergeist in case your wondering

still scares me till this day : shutters:

Comment

My favorite horror movies are anything by George A. Romero.

Sig made by Zander Yurami

Comment

I think for some fans, the slasher genre is a piece of nostalgia to a fun time of our lives.
                        If we are gonna wax nostalgic, I gotta bring up....

C. Thomas Howell is stalked relentlessly by Rutger Hauer because he made the mistake of picking him up on a stormy Texas night. This was one of my favorite horror movies for years.

Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                        Nor label his working day "cushy"
                        But you might have to question
                        His endless obsession
                        With superpositional pussy.

Comment

This one is a guilty pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
                            Wow, so it's good then. Have you seen Texas Chainsaw: The begining?
                            Yep. I thought it was okay, but I just prefer the first remake more. I guess it was partly due to the fact that you know (assuming you saw #1) from the get-go the killers are all going to make it and none of the victims are—removes any suspense.

Incidentally, I mainly remember that after seeing that flick I picked up my first and last hitchhiker. She was crazy, but not killer crazy (at least not with me).

Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
                            I really don't get the appeal of slasher films and Zombie flicks bore me. On the flip side, I loved Event Horizon, Trick'R'Treat, ...
                            I can see that and have heard similar arguments before. I like both cheap scares (and gore) and intense suspense-style horror. It's just a different appeal (like being in the mood for fast food one day and filet mignon another). The slasher vs supernatural distinction can be blurry though. Trick R Treat definitely has slasher moments in it. Then there are movies that are definitely slasher but completely based on a supernatural premise (like Nightmare on Elm Street).

Originally posted by Scarecrow View Post
                            My favorite horror movies are anything by George A. Romero.
                            Definitely on the top of the list for me. I've seen and love pretty much all of his stuff. When I met him at a con I spent like $120 getting him to sign a pile a stuff.

Originally posted by Razorgod View Post
                            If we are gonna wax nostalgic, I gotta bring up....
                            That movie is intense! I saw that when I was too young to see it (my Dad, whom I saw on weekends, let me watch all kinds of inappropriate stuff) and it scared the hell out of me. I re-watched it more recently and while it lost a lot of the scare, I thought the movie has held up really well (much better than the remake despite Sean Bean being a good actor).

Eh, I wouldn't even call that a guilty pleasure. It's a fairly decent suspense movie and it's purposely tongue-in-cheek.

Comment

it was ok.

Comment

i loved 1 ,2 3, and in the hood

the 4th one sucked as did back to the hood

Comment

Working...
                                X