Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Django Unchained: 9/10. A simplistic plot that had enough twists in the last 1/3 of the movie to keep it interesting. The strengths here were the character development and performances. Dicaprio and Jackson, who often play good guys/heroes, made a particularly loathsome pair of villains.

The Campaign- 1/10. I was looking forward to this, but I stopped just after the 40 minute mark. Other than the gag with the kids' headphones at the dinner table, this movie made me grimace.
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Friday Foster (1975)

"She's just all woman, lieutenant."

This was based on a character who was originally a comics serial. She's a photographer who gets wrapped up in a conspiracy.

The Wilby Conspiracy (1975)

"In a police state, the police are always busy."

Disco Godfather (1979)

"Where is Bucky and what has he had?!"

Classic blaxploitation including flubbed lines, visible camera crew, and a baddie that tries to walk off the set but can't quite make it off camera. I could've picked about 100 lines from the movie but thought I'd pick this one that was lifted whole sale for Black Dynamite (which has several Rudy Ray Moore references in it). This one was just great. The scene where a really bad actor playing a doctor shows the godfather a room of detoxing PCP users is worth the watch alone.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Iron Man 3 - Great time. This is a Tony Stark movie though and I'm glad for it. When the first Iron Man came out, I enjoyed all the Tony Stark scenes far more than the Iron Man scenes. That goes TRIPLE for this movie. Shane Black made Tony fun again. And even though the final battle was kinda lame, there were still some great moments in there. Pepper's ending is bullshit. I have to believe there is a deleted scene that will show up on an extended cut sometime soon.

But even that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was The Mandarin. I could easily say Bane over Mandarin. Its no contest. Fans of the character will be massively disappointed and general movie goers should be as well. I kept waiting for it to get better but it was terrible. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE MANDARIN WAS GARBAGE. But everything with Tony Stark was terrific so that wins out. I think I like it better than the first one even.

OH and worst Stan Lee cameo ever.

Comment

• Comment

• Skyfall 007- Ran a bit long, but this was a fairly entertaining shoot-em-up, chase/spy/action flick. This was the first Bond movie I've watched in its entirety. Believe it... or not...

Comment

• Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Raw Meat (1973)

"Mind the doors."

London tube cannibals movie. Great performance from Pleasence, playing an acerbic cop with a tendency to booze.

The Whistle Blower (1987)

"'Their secret world has put out the light of the ordinary world."

A very cynical, but very good British conspiracy flick.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 04-30-2013, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• The last of the expiring Netflix movies (not counting the ones I managed to save by the back door of YouTube). After this, I can start watching the DVDs and such I've been wanting to watch the last two week. Free at last!

Dillinger (1973)

"One of these days a broad is going to let him down."

^Glad I got a chance to finally see this. It may not be Bonnie and Clyde, but it was pretty good.

Prince of Darkness (1987)

Meet Joe Black (1998)

"Never mind favorites. You're allowed to have one. You're mine."

Probably should've been shorter but a very good movie.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 05-01-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Interesting concept, poor execution.

Weird reference to Ed Wood in this film.

Comment

• Bamboo Gods and Iron Men (1974)

Day of the Dead (2008)

This was better than I was expecting, but only an average zombie flick (I was expecting even worse). It's not in any way a remake of Romero's though (doesn't even share the same premise or setting). It's also not (despite Ving Rhames' appearance) a sequel to the Dawn of the Dead remake. Mena Suvari's alright (if stock) as the lead heroine. The effects were decent, particularly a nice bit where they set a bunch of zombies on fire.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

"Looked like sort of a big turtle, in a trench coat."

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                    Weird reference to Ed Wood in this film.
                    Dang it. Now I have to see it because you intrigued me.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 05-03-2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• When The Last Sword Is Drawn (2003)

"I will ask that you not test me again."

A grandfather having his grandson examined at a doctor's office in the middle of the latter's leaving the country notices an old photo of a fellow samurai and remembers their lives together during the twilight years of the samurai.

I'll be honest: this film was fucking beautiful. Yoshimura, the photograph's samurai, does damn near everything he can think of to support his family, which makes a lot of the other samurai think he's a money grubber, mercenary, or just plain goofy. His fellow, Saito (the grandfather), is a prick but eventually you come to feel extremely sorry for him (almost as much as Yoshimura, who goes through hell, especially when famine and then winter hits and his family doesn't want him to starve).

The costumes, sets, and acting are simply amazing. Honestly, you have to literally have no heart at all if you aren't moved by this film. The actors/actresses put incredible effort into their performances.

I think the only complaint I have is that some of the timeline is hard to follow, but that's a very minor issue in the face of a masterpiece like this.

Very highly recommend.
                      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Can read my spoiler filled thoughts here.

Overall, I liked about 85% of the movie...not a bad percentage.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

• I watched a torrent with bad audio, liked what I could make out. I'm sure I'll like it better on the big screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post

Can read my spoiler filled thoughts here.

Overall, I liked about 85% of the movie...not a bad percentage.
                            i too just got back from seeing it (paid for it this time) and i must say it's better on the big screen

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Room 237

Very insightful documentary about the meanings of Kubrick's The Shining. Interesting stuff for sure, and I enjoyed this alot, but would only recommend it to the more hardcore fans of the film.

Comment

• Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979)

"Give me back my chicken, punk!"

Fun stuff. I'll talk about it more in the all new Martial Arts Movies thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X