This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eraser (1996)

"You know, some people take things for granted, like the ability to chew solid food."

Scrooge (1970)

"I want to look in the window.
    -It will cost you nothing, which I'm sure is good news for you.
    Will they be able to see me?
    -No, which I'm sure is good news for them."

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toymaker (1991)

"Don't open 'til Christmas."

Braveheart (1995)

"They fought like warrior poets; they fought like Scotsmen, and won their freedom."

Had to watch this again after finishing the Wallace bio even though that author rakes it over the coals. I've known how wildly unhistorical it is for some time, but I have to admit it's still fun.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Last Saturday, watched the 2005 remake of The Producers (starring Lane, Broderick, and Thurman). Fucking loved it, and my dad was highly amused too. I need to see the original with Wilder.

Also, spent last night and just now doing a two-session viewing of Alien: Covenant.

While I'm curious to indeed know more about the forerunner race that is integral to the creation of the xenomorphs, and while I did like a lot of the scenes (the onboard shots and procedural work of the Covenant, the necropolis), it was more a chore for me to watch this than it was enjoyable. I think it comes down to: 1, as incredible as it can be at times, I've never been as big into body horror, especially the very grotesque stuff used here; 2, David is a massive asshole (excellent villain in many ways, but a total fucking asshole); while I don't entirely mind long films, once they hit the 2-hour range, it needs something seriously engaging to hold me, and the Alien franchise has covered its bases so many times that it can only surprise viewers so much, so a lot of this did feel like a retread of Prometheus.

But hey, at least my wait list can finally move forward.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Christmas Chronicles (2018)

"Can't you just wave your hand, and like, Jedi mindtrick the cops?
        -I'm Santa Claus, Teddy, not Yoda."

The Aurora Monsters: The Model Craze that Gripped the World (2010/2018)

"The money's gone, but the artwork remains."

A look at the model kits that helped revitalize the classic movie monsters hosted (near his end) by Zacherley.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        ...Also, spent last night and just now doing a two-session viewing of Alien: Covenant...
        What's a two-session viewing?
        I liked parts of A:C enough that it won't be a chore to re-watch when I'm doing an Alien marathon. I love that they did a callback to David being a fan of Lawrence of Arabia (as a fan myself).
        Not into body horror, huh? Guessing you don't watch a lot of Cronenberg then.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 12-12-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• I meant that I watched it in two separate sittings, which is actually what you suggested to me a while back but I'm often unlikely to do. Well, Covenant finally did it to me.

And I don't watch much Cronenberg, though I have seen Videodrome and The Fly. I think I have a couple more of his on my Netflix list, and I'm not averse to watching gross films, but they're not something I generally prefer. Different cup of tea, all that.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Now More than Ever: The History of Chicago (2016)

"They're a rock n' roll band. And someone will say, 'but they have horns.' Yeah!"

Very good documentary on my stepdad's favorite band (and one I like). It's a shame that Peter Cetera (who in the same year was a no-show for their Hall of Fame induction) wouldn't even be interviewed for doc, let alone sit in the room with the other founders.

Wind Chill (2007)

"I don't get much more entertaining then when I'm on the phone."

I meant that I watched it in two separate sittings, which is actually what you suggested to me a while back but I'm often unlikely to do. Well, Covenant finally did it to me.
            Yeah, ideally I would love to always watch movies in a sitting (and I do for a lot), but I get through a lot more movies by being willing to split a movie up.

And I don't watch much Cronenberg, though I have seen Videodrome and The Fly. I think I have a couple more of his on my Netflix list, and I'm not averse to watching gross films, but they're not something I generally prefer. Different cup of tea, all that.
            I totally get that. I like Cronenberg, but I have to be in the mood because it's uncomfortable.

I get bothered by movies where an innocent hero is framed for something they didn't do (most especially if it's not righted by the end), but that trope is so common, and often in very good stories, that I can't just ignore them.

Comment

• No Country For Old Men (2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by robojac View Post
                No Country For Old Men (2007)

I just rewatched that myself. Still harrowing.

Also just saw the Coen Brothers' latest, "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs." Damn good, but so depressing.

Comment

• Wild Beasts (1984)

"No, she's not crazy. She's being chased by a cheetah!"

Pretty fun German animals-gone-crazy (from PCP-polluted water) horror flick. It affects anything that drank the water, but the main focus is on the zoo animals that break out.

Scarface (1983)

"Every day above ground is a good day."

Comment

• Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Comment

• A Child's Christmas in Wales (1987)

"But it was not the same snow."

Based on a radio program/book by Dyaln Thomas, this pretty good TV movie is just a grandfather (Brody of the Indiana Jones movies) reminiscing about his childhood Christmas in Wales.

Wonderwall (1968)

"You're hovering again!"

A very weird surreal comedy. I only watched it because George Harrison did the music, but it was alright, I guess. The plot (so much as there is) is that an absent-minded professor (Burke from Exorcist) accidentally notices a hole in his apartment wall that pears in on his beautiful hippie neighbor and fashion model and he soon becomes obsessed.

Elf (2003)

"I'm a Cotton-Headed Ninnymuggins!"

Big Eyes (2014)

"Espresso? Is that like reefer?"

One of only two Tim Burton movies I hadn't seen.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-18-2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Superman: The Movie (1978)

Comment

• It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

"No man is a failure who has friends."

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

"When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.
                          -I notice when you get to dislikin' someone they ain't around for long neither."

R.I.P. Sondra Locke.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Schindler's List (1993)

Comment

• Fullmetal Alchemist (2017)

"You mean the short guy?"

I thought this was alright, but I'm not familiar with the franchise, so I had no preconceptions. It did seem to have a lot of plot threads and characters for a 140 minute movie.

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

"It's naughty to say bad things about old people. Santa Claus will punish you!"
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-17-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Comment

Working...
                                X