This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    My only gripe was that the team at the beginning were so buffoonish that they didn't fit the tone (they seemed out of a much goofier cartoon).
    I thought they felt kinda like the squad in the Roughnecks animated series, which I figure may have been an intentional choice. In a lot of ways, in fact, Traitor of Mars could almost work as sequel to that series, as well. It's not, but it could easily have been altered just a little to become one.

Speaking of which, I should pull those out. It's been a long time since I watched them.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Equilibrium (2002)

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Was expiring on Instant Netflix. Repeats the themes of a lot of better sci-fi, but still good with good action.

S is for Stanley (2015)

"I told Stanley, 'look, I'd like to keep away from Jack Nicholson.'"

Details the career of Stanley Kubrick's personal driver/assistant. Fun documentary. More interesting than you'd expect.

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
      I thought they felt kinda like the squad in the Roughnecks animated series, which I figure may have been an intentional choice. In a lot of ways, in fact, Traitor of Mars could almost work as sequel to that series, as well. It's not, but it could easily have been altered just a little to become one.

Speaking of which, I should pull those out. It's been a long time since I watched them.
      There's a show too! Stop naming stuff I have to catch up on.
      Seriously, though, I don't feel the same compulsion with a seven-season show.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

There's a show too! Stop naming stuff I have to catch up on.
        Seriously, though, I don't feel the same compulsion with a seven-season show.
        Roughnecks actually only lasted one season, but rather than releasing them episodically as they were originally aired, they collected each of the campaigns into a series of PG rated movies on VHS and DVD. The order goes Pluto, Hydora, Tophet, Tesca, Zephyr, Klendathu, Homefront.

Comment

• The Beguiled is a very strange and well-done movie. I highly recommend it.

Comment

• Abominable (2019)

"Don’t body sham my yak."

Confused it for Smallfoot in my Netflix queue, but still liked it.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020)

"F**k with the Blade, you're gonna get cut!"

Roughnecks actually only lasted one season, but rather than releasing them episodically as they were originally aired, they collected each of the campaigns into a series of PG rated movies on VHS and DVD. The order goes Pluto, Hydora, Tophet, Tesca, Zephyr, Klendathu, Homefront.
            Good to know.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
            The Beguiled is a very strange and well-done movie. I highly recommend it.
            Yep. It's pretty bold for 1970 mainstream in its narrator-in-head style and including a bisexual fantasy on screen. Without getting into spoilers, it was a brave choice for Eastwood too when his tough-guy star power was on the rise.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-12-2020, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Decent kid centric Die Hard clone with Patrick Stewart as the bad guy. Pretty fun.

I used to really like this when I was younger, but it barely made me chuckle tonight. Go figure.

Comment

• Toy Story 3 (2010)

"Should we be hysterical?
                -No!
                Yes!
                -Maybe! But not right now!"

10th anniversersary yesterday; which, again, is not one I feel strongly about acknowledging, but I had the BD trilogy for a couple years and still hadn't re-watched this one since seeing it in theaters. So, it was a good excuse.

Anna (2019)

"Adversity is a great teacher."

Not bad and certainly better than Lucy, but Besson repeats a lot of themes from his own La Femme Nikita here.

[Masterminds]
                Decent kid centric Die Hard clone with Patrick Stewart as the bad guy. Pretty fun...
                I’ve been wanting to see that again, but it’s hard to find. I assume you used a streaming service?
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2020, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I’ve been wanting to see that again, but it’s hard to find. I assume you used a streaming service?
                  I found it on Vudu.

Comment

• Patriots Day (2016)

"Guys, the lobster is back."
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Rushing through the escapades of the James Younger Gang to build excitement quickly, it awkwardly shifts gears near the end in order to conclude before the whole story can be told simply to preserve a happy ending. It's not bad, offering some fun action sequences, but you can feel the narrative jump over bits of time much too often.

Comment

• The Real Miyagi (2015)

"He was so masterful it looked like somebody took a pen and drew him in each movement; it was so precise."

A decent documentary about Fumio Demura, who helped popularize karate in America, taught some of the action stars, and was partly the model/stunt double for Miyagi in Karate Kid.

Dennis the Menace (1993)

"Think how disappointed he's going to be when he gets home!
                        -Well, he better get used to it. Disappointment's gonna be a big part of his life. He's a foot short for his age and he's cross-eyed."

I forgot how relatively well done this movie was maybe because it was produced by John Hughes and directed by the Shape himself, Nick Castle. The jokes are actually pretty good as well as the acting---a big part of it is certainly Matthau's spot-on comic timing.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

"Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs."
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• I remember American Outlaws. Actually recommended it to a guy on Reddit recently because of how amusing the one scene is where the town grump wants to go in the bank during the robbery.

Watched Yellow Sky (1948) because my dad mentioned watching some Western recently and couldn't find it again on his watch history (it was either Amazon Prime or IMDB app on his new TV). So I mentioned the old Peck film and we both rather liked it. He was pleasantly surprised to see Harry Morgan in a younger role.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Psycho (1960)

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"

Turned 60 today.

Gremlins 2 (1990)

"Would the owner of the car with license number 1AG 401 please remove it from the CLAMP parking garage, your car is old, and dirty."

And this one turned 30 yesterday.

The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015)

"It's easy for you to say, 'Oh, I wouldn't have acted that way,' but you don't know. That's the truth. You don't know. And now, I know what I'm capable of, and it hurts."

A drama of the (in)famous psychological study of the 70s that divided subjects (college students) into prisoners and guards and got out of hand. It was expiring on Netflix, but it was an interesting time to watch it because it's definitely relevant to the issue of abuse of authority.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Pretty good movie with fun songs and a decent plot.
                              The trailers for the sequels lost me, though.

Comment

• Vice (2018)

"You chose me. And I did what you asked."

Smallfoot (2018)

"Behold, the Scroll of Invisible Wisdom. Imagine the amazing stuff they put in here.
                                -I think it's just a lot of crap."

[Rifftrax:] The Last Shark (1981/2016)

"If you wondered how the crotch panels on a scuba outfit are stitched, behold!"

Comment

Working...
                                X