This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan the Barbarian (1982)

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just wanted to watch something manly and bloody (but not horror this time) and this is a favorite frequent re-watch.

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
    Mortal kombat 2021._ fights were great good amount of gore really impressed with what they adapted from the games. I love this new kano who is the mvp out of the cast as well as sonya. The leaks were true. Those are my pros. My cons are no real story or threat because this is before the tournament so go into this as a prequel . Raiden and shang stung were underutilized. They tease a sequel wich i will watch. Id give it a 7 for the fun factor. If you follow the lore from mk3 this is that story . I counted 5 fatalities total in the film. I wont post spoilers till the film is out Next Friday
    Well, you should either start a separate thread or use the spoiler tags. Personally, I plan to see it in theater, but I know it won’t be day one.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 04-17-2021, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

Well, you should either start a separate thread or use the spoiler tags. Personally, I plan to see it in theater, but I know it won’t be day one.
      Gotcha. As far as i can tell you and i are the only ones talking about it so a separate thread would be pointless. As fast as this film is at like a hour and ten minutes watching it on hbo max isnt a bad way. It really depends on what you prefer. Apparently the film is doing great overseas had a huge return so hopefully we get a sequel. Cole young is a solid character for being made just for the film. They didn't over stuff it with characters like the 97 film so that was nice.I mean really its 4 villains that have the focus going after the heros
      TazzMission
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by TazzMission; 04-17-2021, 12:37 AM.
      .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• First Cow (2019)

"Everything is old if you look at it that way."

Very slow, but pretty good movie about western settlers—particularly an unpopular, but good trail cook and an ambitious Chinese immigrant teaming up.

Comment

• Coco (2017)

"Or maybe he's just a dog."

Young Miguel wants to be a musician like his forefather, but his family forbids music. Desperate, he attempts to steal the guitar of a legendary musician but is magically transported to the realm of the dead and must find a way back before it's too late.

The visual style of this film is absolutely entrancing. Story, music, acting are all good, but holy crap the style is by far the strongest element on display here and this film deserve all the praise for it.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• The Guns of Navarone (1961)

"Anything can happen in a war. Slap in the middle of absolute insanity people pull out the most extraordinary resources: ingenuity, courage, self-sacrifice. Pity we can't meet the problems of peace in the same way, isn't it?"

My weekend dinner-and-a-movie with the folks that they DVRed from TCM. Based on a novel, it tells of a suicide-type mission about taking out large artillery guns on a small Greek island so the Navy can rescue stranded troops on another Greek island. Not the best or most realistic, but pretty good.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Coco (2017) . . . Young Miguel wants to be a musician like his forefather, but his family forbids music. Desperate, he attempts to steal the guitar of a legendary musician but is magically transported to the realm of the dead and must find a way back before it's too late.
            The visual style of this film is absolutely entrancing. Story, music, acting are all good, but holy crap the style is by far the strongest element on display here and this film deserve all the praise for it.
            Yeah, I really liked it. Heard at least one Mexican say it was a decent explanation of Day of the Dead and folk belief about dead ancestors.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 04-19-2021, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• Guns of Navarone is so damn good.

Just watched MST3K: The Undead, riffing good old Roger Corman. I remember Dark Corners reviewing this a while back so a bunch of it was familiar to me, but I agree with the YouTube comments that this film is actually not that bad (interesting premise and decent old-timey dialog, costumes are also decent).

Need to watch Touch of Satan and Robot Holocaust sometime soon.

Comment

• Thor (2011)

"What's Myeuh-muh?"

10th anniversary.

Comment

• MST3K: The Touch of Satan

"Get off the road, man-goat!"

"The only known photo of Bigfoot in a shirt."

The story of the most gullible hostage ever and the most patient father of a possessed daughter of all time. I think I have to hand today's double feature to The Undead, a vastly superior film to this.

Comment

• G.I. Joe the Movie (1987)

"I do not like his face. Let us remove it, yes?"

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                    Guns of Navarone is so damn good . . .
                    Apparently, the main part was supposed to go to William Holden, but he asked too much money. Peck said he enjoyed the film but found it far fetched. I'd have to agree. The main mission is plausible enough, but the amount of times the team defeat, escape, or sneak past massive numbers of German soldiers is ridiculous. But it was a fun and pretty fast-paced flick.

Comment

• Prometheus (2012)

"We were wrong."

Occasionally I need to be reminded why this is in my top 10 films of all time.

Comment

• The Substitute (1996)

"I'm the warrior chief."

Wanted to re-watch this before it disappears from Tubi (I'll get all 3 one day) and the 25th anniversary was a good excuse.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        Prometheus (2012) . . . Occasionally I need to be reminded why this is in my top 10 films of all time.
                        I agree with the critics about the plot holes (how stupid they are to touch an alien biologic unprotected and not to run sideways from a rolling object; the alien iconography before the xenos are supposed to exist), but it has a lot of style and I love David as a character (particularly that his favorite film--reference in Covenant too--is one of mine).
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 04-20-2021, 03:09 AM.

Comment

The Substitute (1996)
                          "I'm the warrior chief."

Wanted to re-watch this before it disappears from Tubi (I'll get all 3 one day) and the 25th anniversary was a good excuse.
                          There's actually 4 of those. I own them all on Vudu.
                          Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I agree with the critics about the plot holes (how stupid they are to touch an alien biologic unprotected and not to run sideways from a rolling object; the alien iconography before the xenos are supposed to exist), but it has a lot of style and I love David as a character (particularly that his favorite film--reference in Covenant too--is one of mine).

The main thing I like about this film is that it leads to numerous questions...one of which I can use to address your idea about the alien iconography. Do we even know who made the black stuff in the first place? I mean, the very first scene is an engineer freely drinking the stuff from a ship that basically just dropped it off. Did the engineers make it? Did some other species make it and then hand it over to the engineers? Clearly, somebody knew about it, hence the reliefs in the "egg room" with the huge humanoid head. I don't think even Ridley Scott has any idea, but that's what is profound about his films in general...questions that always seem to linger.

Which leads to tonight's viewing of:

Alien: Covenant (2017)

"When one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony, David."

A true gut turner from the start. Whereas Prometheus raised questions, this film raises contradictions. Why bother with face hugger eggs when you can just inhale microbe spores that have the same effect? If David landed here, then who landed on LV-426? We need one more film to tie this storyline into the events of the Nostromos. Come on, Ridley, get off your butt!

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Thor (2011)

"Molly Hatchet record cover to the rescue."

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                              There's actually 4 of those. I own them all on Vudu.
                              I just found that out this morning when I went to put the DVDs in my Amazon wish list. I am not caught up.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              . . . Alien: Covenant (2017) . . . If David landed here, then who landed on LV-426? We need one more film to tie this storyline into the events of the Nostromos. Come on, Ridley, get off your butt!
                              I thought there was a bit of dialogue about Shaw and David leaving and landing on the other planet?

The thing about the spores is valid enough, but no worse a plot hole than the humans being unable to run sideways in P. Besides, you could just say that David needed to test the next stage of xeno-evolution.

I do agree, however, that the story still needs a connection. Not sure we’ll ever get it, but it’s not complete. IIRC, Ridley wanted a trilogy of P films to set up the Nostromos receiving the call and A:C was a concession to him not getting that.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 04-22-2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• If there ever is another Alien prequel, there needs to be a hard rule before production starts that the film's first hour not be a rehash of the previous film. That's part of what made Covenant such a slog for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X