PSN under attack by hackers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
    I lol'd at this comment below the article.

"obviously we have a hacker at sony hes climbin in your office snatchin yo money up so hide wallet hide your phone and hide your ssi number cause he robbin erryone out herr "

Team Cyclops !!! ...Screw Wolverine.

Comment

Comment

I still think it's pathetic that so many people are placing all of the blame on Sony for this instead of the actual criminals responsible. Idiots.
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
          I still think it's pathetic that so many people are placing all of the blame on Sony for this instead of the actual criminals responsible. Idiots.
          If there were a like button on message boards, I, Booster Gold, would press it for this post.

Comment

Gray Hat Freedom Fighters.

Comment

It is Sony's fault as they didn't have the proper Firewalls and protection in place. and the lost details of over 12,000 people, and if they are robbed, Sony are liable, and could pay up to £100 million in damages. And that goodwill incentive the put in place is total crap

Originally posted by Avatar Aang
              When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Comment

No, it's the hackers' fault. They committed a criminal act, not Sony. Should Sony have better protected themselves? Sure. But that in and of itself is not a crime. Hacking private property and networks most certainly is. That's why the FBI and DHS are involved.

Comment

No, it's the hackers' fault. They committed a criminal act, not Sony. Should Sony have better protected themselves? Sure. But that in and of itself is not a crime. Hacking private property and networks most certainly is. That's why the FBI and DHS are involved.
                  taking people's information and stuff like credit card numbers require to have your site tested by the government for encryptioon and all the good protection measures.... sorry thought got derailed

Comment

I'm with Mac, blame the idiots who caused this rather than Sony.

Comment

I, Booster Gold, would like to point out that everyone saying that Sony's security was weak are morons.

It took almost 5 years for their systems to be breaches, but it took less than 2 for Microsoft's to breached in a similar fashion. The difference? No fraudulant purchases have occured as a result of the attack on Sony's PSN, while there were many made as a result of the attack on Microsoft's XBL. So who really had the wrose security? And why is that everyone is dogging on Sony now, in 2011, when everyone was ecouraging Microsoft back in 2007? Add to that the fact taht Microsoft gave XBL subscribers a free downloadable game that most didn't even care about, while Sony is giving PSN users a choice from a bunch of (yet announcd) downloadable games, so you can choose what you want, and a free subscription to a premium discount service for a month (not to mention all the other little bonuses for Qriocity memebers and DCUO subscribers)... I would say Sony is dealing with this mess far better than Microsoft could've even imagined... and yet, somehow, their still the bad guys.

Idiocy. Its the only word to describe it.
                      ~I agree, sir. Very well put.~

Comment

Sony's had a bad rap since around 2005 or so. Microsoft launched an incredibly successful marketing campaign against them, especially in the gaming press.

Comment

No, it's the hackers' fault. They committed a criminal act, not Sony. Should Sony have better protected themselves? Sure. But that in and of itself is not a crime.
                          Actually many states have passed laws to this effect and place the blame squarely on the CEO of the company.

Comment

Which is ridiculous. That's like placing you under arrest if your house gets robbed.

Comment

Which is ridiculous. That's like placing you under arrest if your house gets robbed.
                              Actually, it's more akin to suing the owner of a storage company for someone breaking into your storage building. Everytime you give a company sensitive information for payment, you do so with the understanding that they are going to protect that information to the best of their ability.

If reports of Sony not keeping their security up to date are to be believed (proven true), then they did not fulfill their end of the agreement.

And even if they prove untrue, Sony had an obligation to alert potential victims as soon as it was discovered they may have been put at risk. They put their PR concerns above the trust of their users. And for that, they should be liable.

Kind of like if you go on vacation, and someone trips your alarm. The security company comes out and looks around, your front door is open but they aren't sure if anything is taken, so they wait until you come home to let you know that something might have been taken. After all, they didn't want to concern you until they were sure there was a reason to be concerned.

The hacking wasn't their fault, but their obligation to maintain their security to the highest standards, was. As well as their obligation to act in the best interest of the customer, which in this case would of been to let each customer make their own decision about how to proceed to protect themselves.
                              Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                              Nor label his working day "cushy"
                              But you might have to question
                              His endless obsession
                              With superpositional pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorgod View Post
                                Actually, it's more akin to suing the owner of a storage company for someone breaking into your storage building. Everytime you give a company sensitive information for payment, you do so with the understanding that they are going to protect that information to the best of their ability.

If reports of Sony not keeping their security up to date are to be believed (proven true), then they did not fulfill their end of the agreement.

And even if they prove untrue, Sony had an obligation to alert potential victims as soon as it was discovered they may have been put at risk. They put their PR concerns above the trust of their users. And for that, they should be liable.

Kind of like if you go on vacation, and someone trips your alarm. The security company comes out and looks around, your front door is open but they aren't sure if anything is taken, so they wait until you come home to let you know that something might have been taken. After all, they didn't want to concern you until they were sure there was a reason to be concerned.

The hacking wasn't their fault, but their obligation to maintain their security to the highest standards, was. As well as their obligation to act in the best interest of the customer, which in this case would of been to let each customer make their own decision about how to proceed to protect themselves.
                                completely agree

Comment

Working...
                                X