PSN under attack by hackers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boosteroo View Post
    I, Booster Gold, would like to point out that the ApocalyPS3 happened last March (making it over a year ago), and that it only effected older "Fat" PS3's... but that was different... it wasn't a hack attack. AS for being silent about the failures until they know exactly what is wrong and how to address... well... thats just a Japanese trait.

Eh, it seemed like it happened over the summer. Weird, how we remember things. And as I happened to have an older "Fat" PS3, I was affected, and pretty pissed when I couldn't find out if my system was bricked or not, until a day later.

And it's not just when they are investigating, they are tight lipped about damn near everything.

There was no heads up when they updated homebrew out of the rootkit. It was only after the fact that they made any attempt at explanation. They allowed a recent rumor about discontinuing the PSPGo kick around for three days before letting American users know that they were still making the PSPG for American markets, and were only cancelling it for Japan's Market.

SOE, Sony's game company, is really bad about being upfront with customers over service disruptions, expansion delays, billing issues, and glitch reports.

The list goes on and on of the problems with communication between Sony and it's customers. Of course, it's not limited to costumers either. Sony dragged their feet in getting development kits to developers in the early days of the PS3, which is why it took so long to get quality titles on the shelves that weren't developed in house. And why ports of Xbox 360 games tended to be a lot more buggy then their Xbox counterparts.....
    Razorgod
    Anti-Monitor
    Last edited by Razorgod; 05-09-2011, 03:03 PM.
    Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
    Nor label his working day "cushy"
    But you might have to question
    His endless obsession
    With superpositional pussy.

Comment

I have a ps3 and I don't really like it compared to the Xbox. The only problem I have had with the box was the red ring of death. and Microsoft fixed it with no hassel. Between the constant freezing and the ocasional erasing my saved data,and the lame by comparison online abilities,This may be the final straw for me. I have had my problems with the other systems but Never have they come on G4 and been all like "hey wii and Xbox owners! be a little worried because Hackers have all your private information". I really don't know if there is anything sony can do to regain my trust. Between all the hassels I have had with Ps one Ps2 and now ps3. I don't think I will ever buy one of thier systems again.
      Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
        I have a ps3 and I don't really like it compared to the Xbox. The only problem I have had with the box was the red ring of death. and Microsoft fixed it with no hassel. Between the constant freezing and the ocasional erasing my saved data,and the lame by comparison online abilities,This may be the final straw for me. I have had my problems with the other systems but Never have they come on G4 and been all like "hey wii and Xbox owners! be a little worried because Hackers have all your private information". I really don't know if there is anything sony can do to regain my trust. Between all the hassels I have had with Ps one Ps2 and now ps3. I don't think I will ever buy one of thier systems again.
        Maybe not Wii, but they did exactly that for the XBox360 back in 2007 when the XBL was hacked.
        I, Booster Gold, am again shocked with how short term of a memory that some people have.

Comment

I am sure you are right about the system being hacked for the xbox,but I don't remember it. That is kind of my point though. You hear about the Playstation hack all over the place. Example here we are on a Green Lantern message board talking about it. This PS3 debocle has people worried and I gotta admit I am amongst them.
          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Thats becasue there are 78 million people being effected by it around the world.
            In 2007, there were only like 20 million 360 owners, and mostly just in the USA.

~Perspective. Well done, sir.~
            Thank you, Skeets.

Comment

Ok this is crap. I still can not play yet Sony felt they needed to charge my subscription again, I can't even get on the site to cancel my sub! How can I cancel my sub???
              Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

They'll give you free months for the outage, don't worry.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I, Booster Gold, found this quite pertinent to this discussion.
                  This is a letter to all of us from Sony's Howard Stringer.

I know this has been a frustrating time for all of you.

Let me assure you that the resources of this company have been focused on investigating the entire nature and impact of the cyber-attack we’ve all experienced and on fixing it. We are absolutely dedicated to restoring full and safe service as soon as possible and rewarding you for your patience. We will settle for nothing less.

To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world. A program for U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon.

As we have announced, we will be offering a “Welcome Back” package to our customers once our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are up and running. This will include, among other benefits, a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, as well as an extension of subscriptions for PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers to make up for time lost.

As a company we — and I — apologize for the inconvenience and concern caused by this attack. Under the leadership of Kazuo Hirai, we have teams working around the clock and around the world to restore your access to those services as quickly, and as safely, as possible.

I know some believe we should have notified our customers earlier than we did. It’s a fair question. As soon as we discovered the potential scope of the intrusion, we shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and hired some of the best technical experts in the field to determine what happened. I wish we could have gotten the answers we needed sooner, but forensic analysis is a complex, time-consuming process. Hackers, after all, do their best to cover their tracks, and it took some time for our experts to find those tracks and begin to identify what personal information had — or had not — been taken.

As a result of what we discovered we notified you of the breach. Our investigation is ongoing, and we are upgrading our security so that if attacks like this happen again, our defenses will be even stronger.

In the last few months, Sony has faced a terrible earthquake and tsunami in Japan. But now we are facing a very man-made event – a criminal attack on us — and on you — and we are working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies around the world to apprehend those responsible.

In the coming days, we will restore service to the networks and welcome you back to the fun. I wanted to personally reach out and let you know that we are committed to serving you to the very best of our ability, protecting your information better than ever, and getting you back to what you signed up for – all the games and great entertainment experiences that you expect from Sony.

Comment

A month of free PP, yay....?

Comment

I give it a few days, after it is restored, to be taken down again.

Comment

Well hey, it may have been a play for pity....but Sony IS a Japanese company, so I could see how it's possible the whole earthquake thing might have an impact on this. If thats the case I'm willing to be patient. If they're just playing for pity though, thats as low as what the hackers did.

SigbyZanderYurami

Comment

New info as of May 12th... Free in-game items, 30 MoD, +10 more if you have a life-time sub, 30 days free + credit for each day of the outage

https://www.soe.com/securityupdate/recentupdates.vm

May 12, 2011
                          We thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to restore our game services. We know this has been a frustrating time for you and appreciate your understanding as we work to confirm the security of our network.

In light of the recent outage of Sony Online Entertainment's game services due to April's cyber-attack, we are committed to compensating our loyal player base for the inconvenience caused by the data breach and lost game time while we improve our security measures.

We are currently in the process of an extensive upgrade to our network to further protect your information from future attacks. It will likely be at least a few more days before we restore our services, and when we come back online, here is what you can expect for each of our game services.

First and foremost, all impacted players will receive 30 days of game time added to the end of the current billing cycle in addition to one day for each day the system is down. Additionally, many games are offering a variety of in-game items and special events to welcome players back once our services resume (per the outline below). This is true for both PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system based products.

DC Universe™ Online: Batman™ and Two-Face™ Inspired Masks and 30 Marks of Distinction
                          Free Realms®: Free daily items (7 to collect)
                          Clone Wars Adventures™: Count Dooku v2 Outfit
                          EverQuest®: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Rare Mob Spawns and Double Faction Gains
                          EverQuest II and EverQuest II Extended: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Guild XP, Loot Bonanza, and City Festivals
                          Vanguard: Saga of Heroes®: A series of Double XP events
                          Star Wars Galaxies™: Bounty Hunter Statue, a miniature model of Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I™
                          Magic: The Gathering - Tactics™: Four of each of these spells: "Ivory Mask", "Duress" and "Angelheart Vial", plus 500 Station Cash
                          PoxNora®: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back 5K Gold Award Tournaments and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash

For our lifetime subscribers, we'll grant in-game currency; specifically 20,000 coins for Free Realms, 7,500 Galactic Credits for Clone Wars Adventures and 10 Marks of Distinction for DC Universe Online (in addition to the items listed above).

And finally, our Station Access subscribers will receive 500 Station Cash, in addition to the subscription time and items listed above.

Additionally, we announced today that SOE will provide its U.S.-based Station Account holders with complimentary enrollment in an identity theft protection program through Debix, one of the industry's most reputable identity protection firms. For Station Account holders who live outside the U.S., SOE will be offering similar programs, if and as available, and will provide details as they're confirmed for each country or territory.

We continue to work around the clock to restore SOE's services and thank you for your continued patience as we complete our investigation of this criminal attack.

Thank you,
                          Sony Online Entertainment

Comment

Sweet... free Distinction!

Comment

It's not so much free as it is a little less then you could of earned over the last three weeks.
                              Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                              Nor label his working day "cushy"
                              But you might have to question
                              His endless obsession
                              With superpositional pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorgod View Post
                                It's not so much free as it is a little less then you could of earned over the last three weeks.

think of it like an unemployment check.

Comment

Working...
                                X