Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Massive added "shields" to The Division this week, new patches to unlock based on story progression, elite enemy kills, dangerous areas cleared, etc. Completing them unlocks rewards in The Division 2, but if the datamining is at all true, I won't be unlocking very many of them. Even if I do manage more than a handful, going by the rewards (broken into tiers based on how many shields unlocked), I don't even care for most of the unlocks: one shield gets you a weapon skin, four get you a jacket and a sleeve patch, and then the next backpack skin and various emotes.

Granted, audio logs are also unlocked, and those I would like to get and listen to. Doing so of these shields (like killing the weekly high-value targets) will require either some finagling on my part (e.g., I use a ballistic shield to stay alive) or a teammate.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

Comment

• AVGN: Dirty Harry (NES)

Maybe I'm getting old and forgot about how effects-heavy some of James's stuff can be, but I swear he loaded this video up.

Comment

• ^The Elvis and Travolta thing were great. And the crazy jumps and snakes are so bizarre for that game.
          Only thing I'd disagree with is calling Play Misty for Me "obscure," though I would grant that it's an unlikely reference for a ten year-old to make in 1990.

Comment

• Oh don't get me wrong, it was a good video and he was very clever with a lot of his references and usage of jokes. I'm just of the opinion that he did a touch more effects-wise than I think he typically does, but I might be imagining things.

Unrelated: Massive brought back the first global event, Outbreak, and I basically immediately started working towards shotgun headshot kills to unlock one of the masks. Things got a little funny when I unlocked it with 152/170 kills, so I cautiously finished the challenge and then equipped it.

Going to try a couple of other challenges next, but hell if I earn them without a meatbag to help me.

Comment

• Ten minutes of Resident Evil 2 Remake

January 2019 can't come soon enough!

edit:

Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy review

I may actually finally get that, since I never had a PS1 growing up and thus was deprived of a Sonic substitute.
              Agent Purple
              The Illustrated Man
              Last edited by Agent Purple; 06-30-2018, 11:09 PM. Reason: GAMES

Comment

• So I finally made the move and geared up with Tactician's Authority in The Division so I could try for the one patch I wanted. The commendation requires you to complete an Outbreak playlist mission on hard, with the special modifier set to either Severe or Critical, and you cannot be infected (health drains when enemies get close).

I had tried this before, when Massive first re-ran Outbreak, and had come relatively close but failed at a few points. This time I was properly geared and had a better idea of what to do, and with much better weaponry and skills. I had a couple close calls but spammed the seeker mines, letting them take out most of the enemies throughout the level and using mostly my sniper, with an assault rifle in case some foes started getting too close for my liking.

Final boss and his goon squads meant a ton of explosions, and me picking at him from a distance, but when the mission finished I had earned my patch and also another commendation for using no medical skills to replenish my health (aside from health-on-kill traits for my armor or weapons).

Going to be running around the open world from now on, using seekers fucking everywhere.

Comment

• Little kid giving marathoners free power ups

Comment

• I cannot believe what I just did a few hours ago in Division.

I'm farming landmarks in the far-northern tip of the Dark Zone, and start grabbing some loot. After checking for rogues and seeing none, I call in a chopper, clear the NPCs that come...and then out of nowhere a rogue agent drops a shock turret and melts me, stealing half of my loot.

Pissed, I wait at least five minutes before returning to the area and trying again, carefully checking to see if that same douchebag is still moping around. I decide to risk it and try again. Once the chopper shows up, so does the rogue, but he's not disavowed this time so I can't harm him, and he even puts his own bag onto the extraction rope. I load up, and right before the loot is safely dismissed the guy makes his move, attempting to cut the rope.

I hit him with my sticky bomb, my assault rifle, and then my SMG, wasting him and earning my very first rogue kill, unlocking a commendation and a trophy at once.

I'm very certain he was just going for the rope-cutting challenge, because otherwise he would have shocked me again and or at least attempted to fight back. I've heard how one can very rarely encounter rogues with a shred of honor to their names, so I'm guessing I met one.

On the one hand, I despise the guy for the first encounter, but on the other hand, I grudgingly respect him for giving me half a chance.

Of course, now I kind of want to put on another loadout and start actively hunting rogues and improving my PvP skills, but I'm still hesitant for that. We'll see.

Comment

• Watched the past couple James & Mike Mondays, and seeing them play X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse and Maximum Carnage really brought back the nostalgia (never played Apocalypse, but Carnage was an obsession I had back then).

Really want to play them again now, especially since I was never able to beat Carnage as a kid.

Comment

• ^I didn't have an SNES, so I didn't get to play those. I remember wanting to play MC because I liked Carnage back in his early days when I was reading Spider-man.

Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-09-2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• I played Maximum on Genesis, so it was definitely an option on there.

Comment

• Ah, so it was. Maybe I did play it. I did not own it, for whatever reason.

Comment

• My old roommate was really fond of Maximum Carnage, though my only real gripe was it was single player only.

There was a Captain America game that could be played co-op that I remember liking, though I never beat either one.

Comment

• NES by TheChopperman on Reddit.

Comment

Working...
                                X