Weird News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant rubber duck makes splash in Hong Kong harbor

HONG KONG (AP) — A six-story-high rubber duck is making a big splash in Hong Kong.
    Crowds watched the inflatable duck being pulled by tugboat across Victoria Harbor in front of Hong Kong's signature skyscraper skyline.
    Tourist Zhang Wenjin from Shanghai says it's a big surprise. "This is huge. My daughter liked it when she saw it just now. Because kids like cute stuff."
    Yu Kwan Yee of Hong Kong was part of the crowd. "The duckie is swimming," the 2 ½-year-old said.
    Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman created the bright-yellow duck, and it was built of PVC material in New Zealand by a company specializing in large sails.
    Hofman was on hand as the duck arrived and said it later had to be deflated because high winds and waves created a "big challenge."
    The duck has been transported around the world since 2007, bringing a message of peace and harmony. It has previously been to Osaka, Japan, Sydney, Sao Paulo, Auckland, New Zealand, and Amsterdam.
    It will be anchored at a Hong Kong terminal for display until June.

Comment

That reminded me of Batman Returns.

Comment

^Oh yeah. I knew it made some subconscious connection for me.

Comment

Apiphobics may want to skip this one:

Utah cabin had uninvited guests _ 60,000 bees

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — It was the biggest beehive that that Ogden beekeeper Vic Bachman has ever removed — a dozen feet long, packed inside the eaves of a cabin in Ogden Valley.
          "We figure we got 15 pounds of bees out of there," said Bachman, who said that converts to about 60,000 honeybees.
          Bachman was called to the A-frame cabin last month in Eden, Utah. Taking apart a panel that hid roof rafters, he had no idea he would find honeycombs packed 12 feet long, 4 feet wide and 16 inches deep.
          The honeybees had been making the enclosed cavity their home since 1996, hardly bothering the homeowners. The cabin was rarely used, but when the owners needed to occupy it while building another home nearby, they decided the beehive wasn't safe for their two children. A few bees had found their way inside the house, and the hive was just outside a window of a children's bedroom.
          They didn't want to kill the honeybees, a species in decline that does yeoman's work pollinating flowers and crops.
          So they called Bachman, owner of Deseret Hive Supply, a hobbyist store that can't keep up with demand for honeybees. Bachman used a vacuum cleaner to suck the bees into a cage.
          "It doesn't hurt them," he said.
          The job took six hours. At $100 an hour, the bill came to $600.
          "The bees were expensive," said Paul Bertagnolli, the cabin owner. He was satisfied with the job.
          Utah calls itself the Beehive state, a symbol of industriousness. Whether this was Utah's largest beehive is unknown, but Bachman said it would rank high.
          "It's the biggest one I've ever seen," he said. "I've never seen one that big."
          He used smoke to pacify the bees, but Bachman said honeybees are gentle creatures unlike predatory yellow jackets or hornets, which attack, rip apart and eat honeybees, he said.
          "They just want to collect nectar and come back to the hive," he said. "Most people never get stung by honeybees — it's a yellow jacket."
          Bachman reassembled the hive in a yard of his North Ogden home, while saving some of the honeycomb for candles and lotions at his store. He left other honeycombs for the cabin owners to chew on.
          "We caught the queen and were able to keep her," Bachman said. "The hive is in my backyard right now and is doing well."

Comment

NYPD officer tries to help cat in tree, gets stuck

[full article]
            NEW YORK (AP) — Authorities say a New York police officer who went after a cat stuck in a tree got caught himself and needed a little help getting back down to the ground.
            The Fire Department of New York says it happened Monday afternoon in Queens.
            A call came in that a man attempting to get a cat out of a tree had gotten stuck. Fire department personnel used a bucket ladder to get the man and the cat down.
            The fire department says the man is a police officer.
            The New York Police Department has no comment.

Comment

Heard about that yesterday. Too funny
              I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Ulster airport staff ban Green Lantern man's stag mask
                A Londonderry man's weekend plans were left in tatters after airport security confiscated his homemade superhero mask which they said could be used to conceal his identity on board the plane, writes John Mulgrew
                http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-29264069.html

Comment

this is why you should mail everything to were your going so sh!t like this doesn't happen

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

$100,000 Comic Found in Insulation

Comment

Some Canadians claim new currency smells like maple syrup

Comment

Mermaids: Nonsense or Nuisance?

just how dumb are people now a days

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Mermaids: SEXY! (at least the girly ones are)
                          Originally posted by fearless2814.1
                          ...You're a chore, you know that? You are a chore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid Lantern View Post
                            Mermaids: SEXY! (at least the girly ones are)
                            I don't know. They have no legs and they lay eggs (I assume, see the Futurama episode).

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan
                              (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                              Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                              If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                              Originally posted by Quaker
                              I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Idiot. If you watch the video in the link, it also shows some dumb girl frenching a pile of mashed potatoes at a KFC.

Taco Bell Employee Licks Taco Shells in Photo

A photo of an unnamed Taco Bell employee licking a stack of taco shells was uploaded to Taco Bell's Facebook wall. Which is definitely gross, but is it really that much grosser than actual Taco Bell? Plus, we have some not so-gentle reminders of strange fast food activity from other chains like Burger King and KFC. Please stop licking/posing with/stepping on our food!

Comment

Working...
                                X