Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if John partnered up with a Blue Lantern...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So if John partnered up with a Blue Lantern...

.....would that make him the most powerful lantern out there? He has a willpower that exceeds Hal and Hal can do crazy stuff like make constructs with a Red ring.

Hypothetically speaking, say he hooks up with a BL Merayn somehow (I don't know how) would the pair be capable of Kyle/Ion type feats around the universe? Could they be the ones to actually stop Superboy Prime if needed?

And while I'm on the subject I think John could seriously use a Hope inspiring love interest. Since the guy is still feeling guilty about Xanshii and probably feels rather hopeless himself.

What makes you think his will power is greater than Hal's? I wouldn't put that to a vote anywhere. I think you overestimate John's power. Based on what we know thus far, it would seem pretty clear Hal teamed with Saint Walker would be the most powerful green/blue team up.
    "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
    Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
    Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
    who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
    to change the world. This time, Lord...
    Let me be worthy."

Comment

Limelantern, is on to something. I've forgotten about John "exceeding" the ring power and his teamup with a BL could potentially make him even more powerful than a Hal/BL teamup. But I guess the same can be said about Kyle.

Comment

Where is the reference point for John exceeding the ring power? Is this something I missed in the new series or is a reference back to Mosaic time frame? Because I am pretty certain as a GL it has been established Hal's will is stronger than John's, and pretty much anyone else's.

I doubt Kyle would even come close though, since his self-doubt alone should make any team up with a blue less effective than Hal or John with a blue.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

Hal has so far never exceeded the willpower of the ring, John has. Therefore greater will.

Limelantern
          Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
          Last edited by Limelantern; 02-28-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Don't remember that scene, but I'm sure during the Blackest Night Hal will match that feat. Certainly was interesting though. When you really think about it, the idea that someone's will is greater than the ring's capacity almost defeats the purpose. The only limitations are supposed to be those of the bearer's will. The ring should be able to do everything the bearer wants. The fact it can only use so much willpower is a weakness, though a weakness that 9.99999/10 of GLs will never encounter.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

What is so wrong with John having a little more willpower? Why is it Hal must be the best of the best of the best all the time? He is already the star of the book

Comment

i wish things were just equal between the two (hal and john) on some ken and ryu shit.
                but i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved that scene where john basically broke the ring's limit. it was in issue 26 where we firt learn after every victory he goes to where xanshii was and reminsces/chills. (loved that he's back there in 38's origins and omens also)

it was pushed to the limit when he recreated the xanshii system,
                after he did it his hand is smoking green and he says "in the marines we say pain is weakness leaving the body. ...its just about out now" .

remember when jordan broke the yellow bulldozer in the secret origins issue and sinestro told him (since he was knocked down he didn't really see it and didnt beleive jordan fully ) "you gotta be better then everyone, you're in the corps now get use to being outshined".
                can't be the greatest all the time everytime. and jordan was passed up for the alpha lantern promotion which they gave to john but he said screw that.

I like how john stewart keeps everything on the low too not out bragin bout it,
                he has to be saving that ability for a desperate measure or something.
                Space Jake
                Kilowog's Recruit
                Last edited by Space Jake; 03-01-2009, 03:46 AM.

Comment

He does seem to be the best qualified human out of the whole four to even be a lantern.

I wouldn't hand the most powerful weapon in the universe to Hal, Guy or Kyle.

Comment

Hal is supposed to be the best because of his willpower, along with his ability to overcome great fear. If John's will is stronger, then that seems a contradiction. Unless Hal's ability to overcome fear is greater, which balances it out. Or Hal's leadership qualities factor in. Don't get me wrong, I like John. I just don't think his will is greater than Hal's, or would be if it came down to them against each other.

The Alpha-Lantern thing is more based on personality traits, than willpower. John was viewed as more objective and less hot-headed (both true) than Hal, so it makes perfect sense he would be offered the Alpha position over Hal, Guy or Kyle.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

I still don't understand why Hal MUST be the best no question, the best ever! Is that because he is your personal favorite? And somehow the possibility of a greater lantern insults you? Greater feats by other lanterns have happened in the series before but somehow Hal still dwarfs each and every one of them for some unexplained reason.

John's willpower being greater is no contradiction because Hal has never exceeded the willpower of a ring before in all of his history. This however does not make Hal any less of a hero simply because someone out there might actually have a stronger will.

Comment

I personally like John and Guy more than Hal but I respect Hal and his "being the best of the best". I figure just as Limelantern and SpaceJake mention, John and the other lanterns are better at some things.

Hal is the all-around MVP, but Guy, John, Kilwog, Kyle, and the rest can become MVP at the drop of a hat. I would gladly have the supporting GLs on my speed dial in a heartbeat and probably call them before Hal. Same as me speed dialing Bats before Supes.
                        I just wanna be saved and its not important to me who's doing the saving.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2009, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Honestly I never understood why Guy got the ring. I'm not a big fan of John, he's okay, but I think GL BoreBoy has a point, everyone's good at their own stuff. Hal is NOT the best. Kyle is NOT the best. John may have exceeded the rings' capabilities, but he's not the best. And no Guy is !NOT! the best. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Hal is good and about my favorite but no hes is definitely not the best.

Comment

Different Green Lanterns excel at different things. Hal may be the most qualified OVERALL of the Earth lanterns, this doesn't mean that he is the best in any category.

But we already know the category Hal excels in: overcoming fear. He has no fear. He has infinite ability to overcome fear. Infinite. This makes him the most qualified, no matter how much he's outclassed in other areas.

John proved he's got the most willpower, doing something thought impossible. Lets big him up for that. John's awesome.

But we don't know what new limitation he ran into. Boosting his ring up to 200% capacity may not increase the 'throughput' of the ring at all. He may be no more powerful than he is at any given time, he'd just have more lasting power.

Comment

Yeah... I'll have to agree, couldn't have said even close to better than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X