X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• god damnit

Constantine’ Showrunner Confirms Show Is Officially Dead

In the words of the Joker, let’s wind the clocks back a year. In the midst of the great Comic Book TV Show Blitz of 2014, NBC joined the CW and Fox in bringing a DC Comics property to life as a television series. While Fox drew on the notion of a pre-Batman universe with Gotham and the CW spun off the successful Arrow into The Flash, NBC arguably took the biggest risk by bringing the fan-beloved Hellblazer series to life with Constantine.

Casual fans had only the 2005 film starring Keanu Reeves to reference, and while many people liked the movie, it deviated wildly from the source material, causing hardcore fans to dismiss it out of hand. Constantine executive producer Daniel Cerone took pains to cast actual (dyed) blonde Welshman Matt Ryan as “dabbler in the dark arts” John Constantine, but fan and critical reception remained mixed, the show’s ratings declined steadily, and NBC chose not to renew the show for a second season.

While there was talk that SyFy could pick up the show and rename it Hellblazer and some of Constantine‘s more high profile admirers – like Arrow star Stephen Amell – professed a desire to see it continue, Daniel Cerone has now released a statement (via CBM) which confirms the official death of Constantine. Read it below – and weep, if you’re a fan.

I promised I’d share news when I had it — sadly, that news is not good. The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts. The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we’re forever grateful, but those efforts didn’t pan out. I’m sorry, I wasn’t provided any information on the attempts to sell the show elsewhere. All I can report is that the show is over.

Many ingredients went into this TV series. From the dedicated cast that breathed these characters to life, led by Matt Ryan as the comic-made-flesh embodiment of John Constantine, to the exceptionality talented crew that put unreal images on screen, to the original Hellblazer writers and artists who gifted us a universe.

As a general principle, writers don’t choose a writing career to achieve stardom. Whatever demons or insecurities drove them to find freedom of expression through written words generally keeps writers comfortably obscure behind their words. Nor do people choose writing as a means to financial freedom. I’d venture to guess that most who set out to write professionally never receive a paycheck for their hopeful scribbles or key strokes.

In fact, nobody I know ever chose a writing career — it chose them. You write because that’s what you do. Like breathing, it just happens and you have to do it and you just hope that someday somebody out there notices what you’re trying to say.

If that’s the dream of writers, than the writers of ‘Constantine’ lived the dream, because we’re leaving behind wild and passionate fans who believe in and were moved by what we tried to do. To leave such a significant, dedicated and active fan base on the table — that’s the real sadness. You all deserve many years of the series we set out to make, and we’re disappointed that we couldn’t deliver that to you. The good news is that ‘Constantine’ will live on for years in many more forms. But our time as caretakers has ended.

Thank you for letting us in.

Daniel Cerone

This statement from Cerone is essentially the last nail in Constantine’s coffin, and caps a one-season run of a show which had a small, rabid fanbase, and yet it suffered from uneven writing and a format which was accused of aping monster-of-the-week shows like Supernatural rather than drawing from the less cut-and-dry comic book.

Matt Ryan as Constantine1 Constantine Showrunner Confirms Show Is Officially Dead

NBC’s midseason admission that they leapt aboard the comic book TV bandwagon sounded cynical at the time and was the first clear signal that the network was not looking to throw its weight behind the show, a horror-themed entry airing on Fridays, which already had Hannibal and Grimm, the former a proven critical darling and the latter a consistent ratings success.

While Gotham and The Flash found their narrative footing early on (albeit with plenty of rookie season snags along the way), Constantine recast a key role after the series’ pilot was shot and was still finding a groove when the finale aired, the end of a prematurely shortened season. Star Matt Ryan has continually expressed a desire to reprise the role of John Constantine on the big screen, potentially within DC’s inter-connected movie universe, but this always felt more like wishful thinking than anything truly possible.

Still, Crimson Peak director Guillermo del Toro still periodically talks up his long-gestating Dark Universe project – based on DC’s Justice League Dark universe – and has commented that he’d like to see Ryan play Constantine. The show may be dead and gone, but could Ryan’s version of the character live on as part of a larger ensemble? That might actually be for the best.

Constantine will officially no longer air on NBC.

http://screenrant.com/constantine-officially-canceled/
    .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• NEW HERO COMING TO THE FLASH SEASON 2

A report is stating a new hero is coming to The Flash Season 2.

TV Line has it The Flash is casting a "season-long role of a classically handsome, square-jawed hero in his 30s to early 40s, a slightly cynical man 'with an edge.' "

It's noted the casting call lists the character as "John Clark," which they state is a nod to the DC Comics letterer of the same name and suggest the hero may be a character the letterer has worked on.

One character already hinted at in The Flash that DC Comics letterer John Clark has worked on is Jay Garrick (The Flash season finale featured Jay Garrick's helmet).

Other potential characters may include Hawkman (especially considering Hawkgirl is a part of the spinoff DC Legends Of Tomorrow); Doctor Fate, Hourman (series has been said to be in development at the CW), and maybe Green Lantern.

TV Line also reported Barry will get a new love interest in Season 2 described as:

• ...a major recurring role of Wendy, a “spunky, fun and funny” romantic interest

• A cop for the Central City PD, Wendy is described as bright and scientific-minded — more specifically, “Think ‘Felicity Smoak’ from Arrow,”

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conten...flash-season-2

Comment

• WB To Show SUPERGIRL Pilot & VIXEN Animated Series Details at SDCC

Comment

• Report: CW Developing "Hawkgirl" Solo Series Starring Ciara Renee

Comment

• dont hate it but i am suprised they didnt buy constantine

Comment

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshua...b_7606318.html
              Another reason the film didn't work the first go around was because Hal Jordan's character was unfamiliar to many of the film's target audience members.
              Yeah because a character has to be familiar for their movie to work. I mean look at the Guardians of the Galaxy, that film was so successful because audiences were so familiar with those characters.
              Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

• Rumor: GREEN LANTERN Reboot Will Focus on Hal Jordan and John Stewart

2011’s Green Lantern was a major disappointment, and now Warner Bros. has put the character in time-out for almost a decade with the reboot not coming along until 2020. While I expect the character will make an appearance before then (probably in either Justice League Part One or Part Two), the studio might be taking a radical and welcome approach when it comes to his solo movie.

What We’re Hearing

Keep in mind that the movie is still in early development and a lot of things can change, but we’re hearing that the new Green Lantern movie will focus on more than one human Green Lantern. There are plenty of “Green Lanterns” across the universe, as they’re an intergalactic police force who wield powerful rings whose energy is derived from their user’s willpower. Their only weakness is the yellow energy of fear.

The most popular Green Lantern is Hal Jordan, who was the main character in the 2011 movie. However, Guy Gardner and John Stewart later followed Jordan, and they weren’t the last in the comics. But we’re hearing possibly two or all three—Jordan, Stewart, and Gardner—could be the leads of Warner Bros’ Green Lantern reboot.

Furthermore, the franchise will continue to focus on different Green Lanterns and never on just one, so really the Green Lantern movies look like they’ll be more about the Green Lantern Corps, which is an interesting approach.

But before we get there, the plan is just to focus on these two or three human Green Lanterns, and there’s a real possibility that Warner Bros. will introduce the Green Lanterns at Comic-Con this year at their panel in Hall H on Saturday. And if WB does bring on multiple Green Lanterns, then presumably one or more of them will pop up in Justice League.

So where do intergalactic space cops fit in with the DC Cinematic Universe’s more “grounded” take on superheroes? It actually shouldn’t be much of a problem. Man of Steel, the launching point for the DCCU takes place on an alien world for the first 20 minutes, so there’s no reason that aspect can’t return for future movies. Warner Bros. can leave the gritty realism back on Earth and go for something more sci-fi and fantastical if they go to other planets but they keep their serious approach intact.

If this big Green Lantern plan is true, how early will we see him/them? I doubt Warner Bros. will wait until 2020 to introduce Green Lantern(s), especially since they’re already cramming Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash into Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. I’ve heard speculation that the way Justice League will go down is that Part One will feature our heroes dealing with an Earth-based threat, and then at the end, Green Lantern will fly in and alert them to an intergalactic menace (most likely Darkseid) for Part Two.

But as I said before, this is all in the distant future, and Warner Bros. still seems to be struggling with what to do for Wonder Woman and Aquaman, which are due to open in 2017 and 2018, respectively. Green Lantern isn’t the most pressing concern in terms of chronology, but it’s a big deal in how Warner Bros. can launch a franchise that’s drastically different than anything else they have going in the DCCU.

So what do you think about putting more than one Green Lantern into the Green Lantern reboot? Who would you cast in these roles?

http://collider.com/green-lantern-re...al#speculation

Comment

• Just posted that up in the GL news section. Anyway nothing really groundbreaking or surprising here. I think most of us knew the Green Lantern reboot would feature more than one Earth GL. Though I think having 3 of them to start out with is too much. Personally I would like to see the reboot be like GL first flight where is starts as sort of a Hal/Sinestro buddy-cop movie and then in the end Sinestro goes yellow and fights Hal. And then the sequel would be like the Sinestro Corps War and more GL's would be needed so bringing in John & Guy would make more sense. But I guess I'm okay with seeing them together on the big scree to start, but we all know there will be one star of the film and we'll just have to wait and see who that is.

The question I still want answered is who will be the GL in the Justice League? I still hope it's Hal and I have a good feeling it will be. That right there will pretty much answer who will be the star of the standalone GL movie. Hopefully we get some GL casting at Comic-Con this year!
                  Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

• Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
                    Just posted that up in the GL news section. Anyway nothing really groundbreaking or surprising here. I think most of us knew the Green Lantern reboot would feature more than one Earth GL. Though I think having 3 of them to start out with is too much. Personally I would like to see the reboot be like GL first flight where is starts as sort of a Hal/Sinestro buddy-cop movie and then in the end Sinestro goes yellow and fights Hal. And then the sequel would be like the Sinestro Corps War and more GL's would be needed so bringing in John & Guy would make more sense. But I guess I'm okay with seeing them together on the big scree to start, but we all know there will be one star of the film and we'll just have to wait and see who that is.

The question I still want answered is who will be the GL in the Justice League? I still hope it's Hal and I have a good feeling it will be. That right there will pretty much answer who will be the star of the standalone GL movie. Hopefully we get some GL casting at Comic-Con this year!
                    i believe i beat you to it. either way or that dosent matter i just hope they dont fuck up again

Comment

• Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
                      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshua...b_7606318.html

Yeah because a character has to be familiar for their movie to work. I mean look at the Guardians of the Galaxy, that film was so successful because audiences were so familiar with those characters.
                      That was a clueless thing for Adams to write. He obviously defines Green Lantern solely by the JL 'toon, which is only a sliver of GL's history. He cites that John Stewart is the "only Lantern" that a "whole generation of millenials" knew. If that's the case, then that group of people think 1) they're the only group to ever love a DC cartoon about JL members, 2) were too lazy to ever pick up a DC comic about the JL or GL, 3) don't really know John Stewart very well since the JL/JLU cartoon barely scratches the surface of his character.
                      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Besides, JL and JLU have been off the air for years. Much of the teen and tween audience they'd want don't know it.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-25-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Plus a whole new generation of people could have known who Hal and Guy better if CN didn't cancel the damn cartoon.
                          I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• Comment

• And I actually enjoyed Riders of Berk but immediately stopped watching it when it replaced GL and YJ. It's not the show's fault but I was just that mad lol.
                              I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

• I've harbored a great deal of ill will for the CN with the way they've treated their DC shows, sans that piece of crap show, TTG. I never understood why they would only air JL, JLU, YJ and GL Animated ONCE, but run those other shows into the ground. Adventure Time is on at least 4 times a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X