What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    You don't realize how many books I have untouched, do you? It's literally in the upper double-digits, and a lot of those are thick-ass novels. Years to read something is a common thing for me.
    I understand that. I'm on my twelfth book of the year and that's because I'm purposely trying to read more and a little faster. But I think I have more unread books in my collection then I could read in my life (unless I completely gave up movies and video games). Buying a book does not mean that I'm ready to read it or even that I will definitely read it within the next five years.

Comment

• Oh, and I was an English Lit major in college. That's a shit-ton of reading right there, and while they are by no means bad literature, Great Expectations and Jane Eyre (among a number of others) are far from a breeze to get through. I only sped through Eyre once, and at that point it was my second time so I knew what was coming each chapter.

Reading so much for school kills the desire to read for pleasure.

And then there are the Warhammer/40k books I'm reading now in droves.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• ^I love both of those books and I agree that they take more time than reading some random modern paperback. I read Eyre twice, not because I liked it more than Dickens, but because I too was a lit major and it was required for two different classes.

Comment

• Steve Alten's MEG series >>>> all other books

Comment

• Finishing up Notes From Underground for the first time. Dostoevsky is probably my favorite writer of fiction, and this is a fantastic book, but I think my favorite by him is the Idiot.

Comment

• Started and finished this while I was at jury duty today:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                Started and finished this while I was at jury duty today:

Love that book, bought it the day it came out. Movie wasn't bad either imo.

Me:

Adonais by Shelley

Comment

• Yikes! Time to catch up with y'all

So, since my last mass post, here's what I've read:

Jurassic Dead 3
                  by Rick Chesler and David Sakmyster

Decent. Standard end-of-the-world-saved from zombie dinosaurs story.

by Jake Bible

I love everything Jake writes. He's just all around good B Horror story telling.

Boring.
                  The House of Lost Souls
                  Brodmaw Bay
                  The Waiting Machine

all by F.G. Cottam

Mr. Cottam has the most beautiful phrasing of characters and life during any time period. It's almost like reading poetry. I tried the first novel on a recommendation, and although the conclusion/show-down was two paragraphs long (something common with most his books) and I just wanted more.

You only thought you knew Kaiju. Mr. Robinson has created the beast to end all beasts. Dead serious about that.

Kronos Rising: Kraken
                  Max Hawthorne

Comment

• Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                    Yikes! Time to catch up with y'all. So, since my last mass post, here's what I've read:...
                    How long does it take you to read a 300 or 500-page novel?

Meanwhile, I'm stalled on the Price book. I don't dislike it, but I've been sidetracked (with lesson prep, comics and magazines, but mostly just not reading enough) and am not even half way through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      How long does it take you to read a 300 or 500-page novel?

Meanwhile, I'm stalled on the Price book. I don't dislike it, but I've been sidetracked (with lesson prep, comics and magazines, but mostly just not reading enough) and am not even half way through.
                      Honestly, I can't give you a straight answer on that. There are so many factors involved. I could stall on a 250 book for two weeks just to finish it, or I could fly through a 600 pager in 4 nights. With the current book I'm reading, I'm flying through it because:

1. Since reading the original Kronos Rising, I was speaking with Mr. Hawthorne one on one via Facebook, and his posts just gear you up for Marine fiction based on marine fact.

2. The anticipation of the sequel has been building in me for over a year. (You think that's bad, wait till I read the new MEG novel. I swear I will shut down the Internet in my house if I have to.

3. The subject matter is extremely interesting to me, and based on the first book, this sequel is going to do great. I can feel it in my gut that Mr. Hawthorne is destined for King-level greatness. He just needs to shut his mouth about his political views.

4. I have been staying up til 3 or 4 in the morning to read this. That's effort and dedication on my part. And Kraken is about 600 pages long.

Comment

• Comment

• Finished Kharn: Eater of Worlds (Anthony Reynolds)

It's good, but it feels incomplete, which in turn makes it feel overpriced.

The plot focuses on the remaining World Eaters legionaries and how they're struggling to find a direction after the failed Siege of Terra and the end of the Horus Heresy (this takes place during the Scouring, when Loyalist forces are hunting down the Traitors).

Dreagher, a captain desperate to hold the Legion together as it splinter into warbands around him, butts heads with several other senior members and keeps holding out hope that Kharn will wake from his coma (he was seemingly killed on Terra, and is now barely a human vegetable) and pull everyone together.

Things taken their darkest turn (for the 40k fans who know their lore) when an assassination plot is attempted against the comatose Kharn. He wakes and kills his attackers, and things briefly improve as the Legion's fragmentation is paused before they run into another Traitor Legion, the Emperor's Children. The two armies attempt negotiations for resupply but things go horribly wrong, resulting in all-out war between them (though this was inevitable really, as both Legions are claimed by rival Chaos Gods). The book ends with the World Eaters landing on a planet the Emperor's Children have claimed and Kharn declaring it to now be theirs.

Fans of 40k will know that the final breaking of the XII Legion happens after this book ends, and no doubt Black Library has a mandate that the event will be portrayed in another novel of the Horus Heresy line, but the absence of that event here makes things feel inconclusive. Given that Aaron Dembski-Bowden wrote a very excellent World Eaters/Word Bearers story in Betrayer, it's possible he'll be tasked with the job, but Anthony Reynolds does a solid job in his place.

For the book's content, length, and price, there isn't enough balance, I feel. It's not a bad book (graphic violence, despair, treachery, all the hallmarks of a Chaos Space Marine tale), it has great characters, and it depicts some of the most pivotal moments (especially at the end) in World Eaters history. It's a little short, the main story topping at 247 pages, with an excerpt from John French's Ahriman Unchanged novel, so for $16 USD ($17 CAN), it might feel like an overcharge to some readers. If you can grab it a little discounted then that's great, especially if you have to have it shipped in from somewhere.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• ns2
                            Your Clash At Demonhead
                            Last edited by ns2; 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM.
                            Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

Comment

• Finished:

Comment

• Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters by August Ragone

A book about the life of the cinematographer and special effects supervisor best known for designing Godzilla and creating Ultraman. I've been liking this more than I expected

Comment

Working...
                                X