"Collateral Damage"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Collateral Damage"

Had it for a while, but actually just now really sat down and read it.

Awesome! Howard Chaykin really "gets" Guy, and here we see him at his finest. It's all pretty hilarious, especially the chemistry and back-and-forth insults with Guy and G'Nort -- they really hate each other!

* We see a rebuilt Warror's bar. Actually, we see a rebuilt Warrior's, then we see Warrior's get trashed again, then we see it rebuilt again!

* Guy trying to pick up chicks. Lots of chicks. And even trying to talk two ladies into a three way.

* G'Nort, back in the Green and back in action and ringslinging next to Guy for pretty much most of the two issues.

* Plenty is said of Guy's time as Warrior, and we even see the last of the Vuldarian race. In the end, it's literally Guy trying to save the last of them.

* Guy kills. Just once, but it's quite brutal.

I don't know what the problem with the art is, I rather like it. Sort of Miller/Varley-esque, little rough and gritty around the edges but in a good way.

The story was OK, I guess. I didn't think it was as bad as some others, but I have to disagree with you on the art. I'm just not a fan of chaykin's style. The poses always look awkward, and the facial expressions...ugh. I really think thats my biggest problem with the art, the faces. They're just so ugly and even look off center sometimes.

I think he killed more than once though, not that I have a problem with that. Off the top of my head I remember him blowing up a helicopter with terrorist guys inside and blasting a hole right through an aliens head. I'm pretty sure there's another, but cant remember the specifics. The blowing up the helicopter was more of an indirect kill, but he still caused it using his powers.

Comment

My major grip with it is G'nort..... G'nort is a Dog, he should look like a Dog when I saw that image for the first time I did not even realize it was G'nort and my wife asked who the Monkey GL was ??? perhaps if not for G'nort I would have liked it ...... come to think of it I didn't like the way Guy was drawn either, It just is not on par with the rest of the artists DC is using
      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

I didn't like it that much. Some reasons...

1.) While I didn't mind the Warrior POWERS, the Vuldarian backstory always seemed stupid to me, and every time they had issues focusing on that, I always cringed. And this one doesn't even stay consisten with THAT, since Guy was supposed to be the LAST Vuldarian, by a few millenia. Yet in this, it doesn't seem anybody is particularly surprised, even, that there are still Vuldarians around.

2.) G'nort didn't seem like G'nort, either visually OR personality-wise. Not sure why they used G'nort at all, if they weren't going to make him recognizable in some way.

3.) Guy took a giant leap backward. In this he was back to being a total, misogynistic jerk just for the sake of being a jerk. He didn't seem like he could care less about doing the right thing, but was just in it for the chance to look macho and blow stuff up. I thought we had left that shallow interpretation of Guy behind.

I much prefer Guy as we see him now. Heart of Gold under a rough exterior, and when he acts like a REAL jerk, you can tell he is doing it mainly to push somebody's buttons (usually somebody that the reader feels deserves it, too), not because he is really that big a jerk.

Comment

I agree with Mister Ed on this one for the most part. There were some enjoyable moments to it, but for the most part it felt a little hollow. I didn't really *enjoy* it, nor did I feel that Chaykin really *got* Guy (Or G'Nort for that matter. Uh, wtf- I already miss old school, bumbling, big-schoolgirl-crush-on-Guy G'Nort D: ).

Also, the art was ugggh. Although I admit that back in the 80's, Mr. Chaykin was responsible for one of my favorite Guy images:

Comment

Maybe I'm way off, then. I liked that it gave us a glimpse of the old Guy, if a bit more restrained, and even gave us back the "Warriors" bar... surely it can't be that bad, if only for that?

The Vuldarian thing though... huh, come to think of it, yeah... I thought he was supposed to be the last of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              I didn't like it that much. Some reasons...

1.) While I didn't mind the Warrior POWERS, the Vuldarian backstory always seemed stupid to me, and every time they had issues focusing on that, I always cringed. And this one doesn't even stay consisten with THAT, since Guy was supposed to be the LAST Vuldarian, by a few millenia. Yet in this, it doesn't seem anybody is particularly surprised, even, that there are still Vuldarians around.

Offically he was supposed to be the last of the Vuldarians. Considering Guy was able to regrow a heart [ he had 2] and rebulid himself from scratch after OWAW and in GG:W annual #2 is shown still alive 100s of years later I really didn't think it would be that big of a stretch to believe that some other Vuldarians could of survived too. Now after the events of CC#2 he is the last of the Vuldarians again. I hope they don't drop the plotpoint of him taking the urn of Vuldarian DNA to safguard it.

Comment

You know speaking of Warriors being rebuilt we need a return of the Green Lantern bar night. You know during Kyle's run as GL, John, Guy, Alan, and Kyle would meet up at Warriors once a month and just shoot the breeze talk shop, tell stories. Those were great moments. Just cause the Corps is back and Hal's alive doesn't mean they should have stopped that.

Meh random rant off.

Comment

Originally posted by Nived View Post
                  You know speaking of Warriors being rebuilt we need a return of the Green Lantern bar night. You know during Kyle's run as GL, John, Guy, Alan, and Kyle would meet up at Warriors once a month and just shoot the breeze talk shop, tell stories. Those were great moments. Just cause the Corps is back and Hal's alive doesn't mean they should have stopped that.

Meh random rant off.
                  I loved that, too. It would be a good tradition to restore, now more than ever (well, after Kyle is Kyle again and all, but you know what I mean).

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                    I loved that, too. It would be a good tradition to restore, now more than ever (well, after Kyle is Kyle again and all, but you know what I mean).
                    Yeah! that'd be nice to see again!

Comment

Anyone into Howard Chaykins other work? I didn't care for Collateral damage, but I find that more often than not I enjoy his writing and art. My favorite story of his might be his Blackhawk mini series, Blood And Iron. Black Kiss was pretty cool, and I liked most of American Century.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                        Anyone into Howard Chaykins other work? I didn't care for Collateral damage, but I find that more often than not I enjoy his writing and art. My favorite story of his might be his Blackhawk mini series, Blood And Iron. Black Kiss was pretty cool, and I liked most of American Century.
                        Was he the artist on this? Because I didn't like the art on this.
                        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                          I love Bite Club far more then anybody should. It's as disturbing as it is brilliant. I can't wait for the combined trade of both mini-series that's coming out.

-Erik

Comment

hey guys, is CD part of Continuity? havent read it yet..

Comment

Originally posted by Tons T View Post
                              hey guys, is CD part of Continuity? havent read it yet..
                              Apart from there still being Vuldarians alive, I don't see why it shouldn't be. It's pretty clear by reading it that it's intended to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X