This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InterestingJohn View Post
    Haha, Larfleeze has a very distinctive voice in my head when I read him.
    Mine too. Basically in my mind he sounds like a mix between Gonzo and Jar-Jar Binks without all the dumb "meesa meesa" but in the same tone....

Comment

• 'GREEN LANTERN: The Animated Series' Press Conference Coverage

With that, it was time for them to move on. We were joined by the “Green Lantern” creative unit, Bruce Timm, Giancarlo Volpe and Jim Krieg. Timm took point for most of the discussion. He was honest from the get-go that because the show is so early in its development stage, there wasn’t much he could actually say about the show.

“I’d prefer to not reveal anything and just have everyone watch the show when it airs, but I understand that we have to talk about stuff. But it’s very early [for our show],” Timm said.

He did describe the show as a “kick-ass adventure show,” and said without the Ryan Reynolds live-action movie due out in Summer 2011, the animated series likely wouldn’t exist.

Krieg and Timm described Hal Jordan and Kilowog (who will have a prominent role) as the Riggs and Murtaugh of the show, cosmic cops who have their own way of doing things. As for the storylines, Timm said don’t expect blow-by-blow adaptations of familiar comic stories.

“There are some stories that are really close, to the Geoff Johns GL stories,” Timm said. “Others are close in spirit to Johns’ universe, but I think people would be bored if we were just rehashing what you’ve already read.”

“ There won’t be as much of Hal Jordan in civilian clothes. Probably 98% of the show takes place in space.”

Timm also mentioned that there wouldn’t be an origin episode. “We’ve done the Hal origin in “New Frontier, in the animated film [“Green Lantern: First Flight”] ...they’re doing it in the live-action movie. We hit the ground running here.”

There will be crossover appearances with other DC heroes, but not Batman and Superman.

It’s so early in the creative process, Timm said theme music hasn’t even been discussed. “We haven’t even started thinking about the theme music, who will write it. It’s too early. We’re still building up our assets. “

Timm hinted that voices have already been cast, but said he can’t talk about it yet.

The producer expects “Green Lantern” to debut as a one-hour special in Fall 2011, with the series launching in 2012. “If the world hasn’t been destroyed,” joked Timm.

Volpe said Hal Jordan is a bit of a wise ass in the show, as opposed to the more buttoned-down GL Corps.

Because the show will focus on inter-galactic spectacle, Timm says the full spectrum of the ring’s powers will be on display, sometimes in fun ways. Which means don’t be shocked to see Hal use a giant green boxing glove to take down a baddie.

Also, there will be new Green Lanterns making their debut in the cartoon. Something else you’ll see: male and female Guardians.

“We had a long discussion about changing the gender of some of the Guardians, and decided to have the Guardians be men and women. It will allow us to tell different types of stories,” he said.

The fact that “Green Lantern” will have computer-generated animation has led to much more work than any of the producers anticipated.

“We had to do so many turnarounds on these characters...it’s just learning how to...maximize your manpower and man hours you have, to create as good a show as possible,” said Timm.

Volpe added “there’s a tendency with a show like “Green Lantern” to load it up with as many Lanterns as possible, but with CG it’s more challenging.”

“ The visual aesthetic for the show is not photo-realistic at all,” Timm said. “We weren’t trying to make it look real. Our goal has been to ... embrace something that doesn’t look quite as real. And it’s really helping us reach our goal of creating the look of the show.”

Because he’s the main villain in the movie, the show is staying away from Sinestro...for at least the first 26 episodes.

“We may allude to him, we have to find out if we can and how much we can, but he won’t be showing up as a villain,” Timm said.

The Manhunters will be addressed in the show, somehow.

The producers have written the first 9 episodes, and plotted out the first 13 episodes.

There you have it. Give credit to Timm, Krieg and Volpe for being forthright about what they could actually discuss. It can’t be easy to try and promote a show that is literally in its initial stages.
      Full article at Newsarama

Comment

• “We had a long discussion about changing the gender of some of the Guardians, and decided to have the Guardians be men and women. It will allow us to tell different types of stories,” he said.
        Uh, that's a little troubling to me. It's one thing to have them be male and female. That's the way it is in the comic. However, the "allow us to tell different types of stories" comment implies that male and female Guardians will actually BE differentiated in some meaningful way due to gender. THAT is rather different than what we see in the comic, where the Guardians' gender is pretty much irrelevant, and discerned only visually.

Comment

• Bruce Timm Talks 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' And 'Emerald Knights' Movie

Green Lantern is poised to have a big year in 2011, but the live-action film starring Ryan Reynolds as hotshot hero Hal Jordan isn't the only upcoming project with an emerald hue.

Back in June, word got out about not one, but two animated projects in the works featuring Hal and the Green Lantern Corps: "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" and "Green Lantern: Emerald Knights," an animated movie that many speculated would be a sequel to 2009's "Green Lantern: First Flight."

With both projects poised to make 2011 a very good year for DC's ring-wielding hero, I spoke to producer Bruce Timm to get a few more details about each project.

"[The animated series] doesn't follow the direct continuity of the [live-action] movie or 'First Flight' or anything that we've done before, but it doesn't contradict them either," Timm told MTV News. "They're all pretty consistent in terms of Hal Jordan being the Green Lantern and so forth, so hopefully by the time our show comes on, people will have seen the 'Green Lantern' movie — several times, hopefully — and they'll know the backstory, so we can go off from there."

According to the veteran writer, artist, animator, and producer, the creative team on the "Green Lantern" animated series saw no need to retell the hero's origin story, given everything else that will be in theaters — and hitting the shelves a second time — when the series premieres.

"We've already done the origin story in 'First Flight,' and I'm sure we'll be re-releasing that to take advantage of all the 'Green Lantern' publicity next year," he said. "The movie itself is going to be his origin story, so people will know his origin story and we don't have to waste time with it yet again."

Timm indicated that the series will generally involve standalone episodes, but the "broad arc" for the first season (26 episodes) will feature the rage-fueled Red Lanterns. For those who aren't up on their Green Lantern mythos, the Green Lanterns' power comes from each individual hero's willpower and ability to overcome fear, while the Red Lanterns' powers are fueled by the ring-wielders' rage.

However, if you're hoping to see the full spectrum of Lanterns, you might have to wait a while.

"We don't get into the whole Black Lantern thing," said Timm, citing DC Comics' recent "Blackest Night" crossover event that featured a massive war involving every color of Lantern and much of Earth's superheroes. "Hopefully the show is a big hit and will go on for six or seven years, and we'll do the Black Lanterns somewhere down the line, but for now we don't have any plans to go down that route."

Oh, and don't expect to see Superman or Batman making cameos in the series, either. According to Timm, almost the entire series is set in space, with the story beginning on Earth but going cosmic almost as soon as the series begins.

"It's a science-fiction show, so this means Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, they're not showing up," he said. "It's all about the Green Lantern Corps."

As for the other animated Green Lantern project on next year's calendar, Timm confirmed that "Green Lantern: Emerald Knights" is indeed planned for a 2011 release — though he stopped short of calling it a "sequel" to 2009's "First Flight."

"This one focuses directly on the other members of the Green Lantern Corps," he explained. "It's similar in format to the "Batman: Gotham Knight" movie we did a couple of years ago, with six individual stories all tied up in an overall arc. ['Emerald Knights'] is similar in that each of the individual stories focuses on one of the other Green Lanterns."
          via MTV
          W.West
          Last edited by W.West; 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• 2011 is gonna be great; Hal fans have been waiting for ever for some animated love!

Comment

• He makes a good point about not doing the origin again.
              I think First Flight shouldn't have been an origin story since they knew the movie was coming out.

Comment

• when first flight was conceived i'm not sure the movie was fully greenlit yet.

Comment

• First Flight differs enough from the classic GL that I'm not too hung up on what happens in it or by them redoing the origin in it. I'll be happy to buy the semi sequel to it, but that's just extra to me.

I'm more excited for the animated series. THAT looks like everything I ever wanted in a GL cartoon.

Comment

• I'm really excited for the animated series!

Comment

• theres gonna be so much gl stuff soon im gonna go nutz lol

Comment

• So am I.

Comment

• I'm going to have to build/buy new shelving units for the new merch.

If the animated series is a hit we can expect a Ring and battery set to hit the shelves of the local Targets.

Comment

• from ComicsContinuum.com

GREEN LANTERN ANIMATED ROUNDUP

The Manhunters will play a significant role in the second half of the first season of the upcoming Green Lantern series, The Continuum has learned.

Green Lantern is currently in production at Warner Bros. Animation. The show will air on Cartoon Network, with a sneak preview likely in the fall

Although episodes are individual in nature, there will be larger arcs to the show.

In other Green Lantern animated news:

* The CG look of the show will be sylized, rather than a realistic approach of humans.

* Look for the show to open with a two-part episode.

* Saint Walker will appear in the first season. Sinestro likely will not appear, especially not as a villain.

* Voice recording is well under way.

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Nice find on the Walker bit.

Comment

• yeah, sadly Sin.'s not going to be in it at all ()

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                                X