Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which it won't and shouldn't be considered.

Comment

• Possible early storyboards of the movie

http://www.blastr.com/2013-2-6/see-g...r-actual-movie

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...l-space-battle

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaolinlantern View Post
        The story boards were interesting, but I would have like to know the plot of the Marc Guggenheim's version of movie.

I think Green Lantern failed on my many levels, but scene where Hal meets the Abin Sur wasn't one of them.
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
          The story boards were interesting, but I would have like to know the plot of the Marc Guggenheim's version of movie.

I think Green Lantern failed on my many levels, but scene where Hal meets the Abin Sur wasn't one of them.
          Yeah, that scene could have been better, but what we got did work really well, lots of emotion in it.

Comment

• Damn. Fuc-k Warner Brothers.

"Turns out director Marc Guggenheim".

Marc Guggenheim is not a director. Screenwriter Greg Berlanti was supposed to director originally though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
              Only read about half and those are more nitpicks than true holes.
              True. The things that bugged me fell into two categories, but I'm not sure that they constituted "plot holes" per se.

The first category was unfortunate, but common, SF movie errors of scale.

The whole driving force behind the narrative was the fact that Romulus was destroyed by a Supernova. But it wasn't their OWN star that went Supernova, it was some OTHER star. Of course what this means, in a universe with FTL travel, is that NOBODY on Romulus would have died as a result, since they would have had YEARS (at least) before even radiation (much less a physical shockwave like the one they showed) reached Romulus- plenty of time to evacuate or find some way to shield the planet. The laughableness of this event kind of marred the drama that it was to inspire.

Similarly, Spock was able to see Vulcan's destruction with the naked eye on Delta Vega. Which means that Delta Vega would have to be SUPER close to Vulcan. Yet somehow it wasn't.

The second category was the result of them refusing to actually reboot, but trying to maintain the conceit that all the differences we saw were the result of a change to the timeline. Unfortunately, there were a great many things for which that explanation made little sense. Had this been a reboot, this problem wouldn't have existed, but they kind of tried to have their cake and eat it too.

Of course, neither of these kept me from enjoying the movie. The first just gave me a couple of unintended laughs, and the second just made me enjoy it more as a SF action flick than an actual Trek movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                Of course, neither of these kept me from enjoying the movie. The first just gave me a couple of unintended laughs, and the second just made me enjoy it more as a SF action flick than an actual Trek movie.
                Jackpot!
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

• but you still harp on about the huge plot holes which arent really plot holes.

Comment

• Except that they are. They conflict with plenty of canon Trek, even if you take the alternate universe into account. (They especially conflict with Enterprise, which would've been untouched in the new universe.)

Comment

• I think the point that Robinson is trying to make (and pardon me, Robinson, if I'm wrong on this) is that inconsistencies with other canon Trek aren't really plot holes in the movie. A plot hole, technically, would be something internal to the film, I think. Something within the film's plot that was internally inconsistent or unexplained.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with that, while still maintaining that, whatever the correct term for them are, they are still grounds for criticizing the film, at least from the point of view of a Trek fan. I can certainly see how a non-Trek fan wouldn't care at all.

Comment

• Good point. Yes, there are massive inconsistencies with other Trek. As far as plot holes within the film, there's plenty of those, too; you mentioned a few of the biggest ones.

Comment

• Yeah pretty much.

I'm a trek fan, more tng that original, but I liked the reboot but imo the in story explanation of an alternate universe releases it from any canon inconsistensies that take place after the kelvin is destroyed. Anything prior to that like conflicts with Enterprise(which i never watched) then i got nothin.

Comment

imo the in story explanation of an alternate universe releases it from any canon inconsistensies that take place after the kelvin is destroyed.
                            Understandable, but for me that explanation can't really cover things like characters being different ages (Chekov is too old), Vulcan's sky being a different color (and having completely different architecture), Spock having a relationship with Uhura. That those kinds of changes would be caused by a ship being blown up a couple decades back definitely makes me scratch my head. I'm not a real subscriber to the butterfly effect, not over that short a timespan and that vast a distance. In that few a number of years, I prefer there to be a bit more of a logical cause and effect for changes.

But that's just me. I don't have any problem with other people being satisfied with that as an explanation, as long as they don't try to tell me I'm wrong to be UNsatisfied with it.

Comment

• How is Chekov too old, I cant find anything that states the originals age when he is assigned to the ship and in the 09 film he's 17. Cant get much younger than that.

I think picking on things like architecture and color of sky from something that was shown 40 years vs. something made recently is a little unfair. Budgets and such are why things looked the way they did in the OS, remove that limitation and things would have looked different even then.

Comment

How is Chekov too old, I cant find anything that states the originals age when he is assigned to the ship and in the 09 film he's 17. Cant get much younger than that.

I think picking on things like architecture and color of sky from something that was shown 40 years vs. something made recently is a little unfair. Budgets and such are why things looked the way they did in the OS, remove that limitation and things would have looked different even then.
                                The sky color was not due to budget. It was an artistic choice, and one that was maintained pretty faithfully through shows and movies up until this one. The architecture was shown far more recently than 40 years ago, on Enterprise.

The director had a new creative vision for what Vulcan would look like, I get that, but I would have found such a dramatic departure a bit easier to swallow had it been a reboot, as the differences could not really be logically explained by their catchall in-story explanation.

As to Chekov's age, oops, I fell prey to swapping the timelines. Movie Chekov is actually too OLD. Chekov's birthdate in the original series was in 2245. In the movie, just so that they could have him hanging out with all the other regulars, they moved his birthday BACK to 2241. Otherwise he would have to be 13 years old. Apparently the destruction of the Kelvin caused him to be born 4 years earlier, and a lot smarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X