• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variety: ‘Marvel’s Most Wanted’ Not Going Forward at ABC

Comment

• Can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
        FOX isn't nearly as desperate as Sony was to have a superhero franchise. Especially now that Deadpool is a household name.
        Desperate? No, you're right there. Deadpool worked because of the passion of the creators and Reynolds' involvement. And they own the X universe. The F4 though seem a bit limited in a world without the rest of Marvel's heroes. And the last two attempts at doing the F4 amounted to nothing. A similar agreement with Disney/Marvel could give everybody a win.

How could a new Fox/Disney partnered F4 work where the last two attempts didn't? You could introduce them in the Marvel Cinematic Universe proper, similar to Spiderman in Civil War. Disney could co-produce a new F4 film afterwards similar to Spiderman Homecoming, and allow Fox to use couple of their characters for appearances in F4 [I'd use Hulk for a Hulk vs Thing if it were me, even though Hulk is also on loan]. Then Disney could continue using the F4 in their films sparingly.

Galactus could be the big bad he's meant to be, same as the Skrulls. As mentioned before, the Inhumans could be introduced in a way closer to the comics. Maybe Reed discovers the Inhumans' city and then appears in a scene or two of the Inhumans flick? In a universe spanning crossover film Spiderman and the Human Torch could finally become friends under the larger Disney umbrella in something akin to Infinity War.

The Fantastic Four NEED the rest of the Marvel U. to be important. The only thing the Marvel Cinematic Universe needs to keep doing is making moves and partnerships in Hollywood to keep characters like Hulk and Spiderman in the loop.

I'm still waiting for Ghost Rider to get a reboot film or a Netflix series.

~M~

Comment

• Kinberg Hopes For "Brighter, Funner" "Fantastic Four" Sequel With Same Cast

Fox's most recent attempt to bring "Fantastic Four" to the big screen did not work out so well; the film flopped in theaters, opening at #2 and only earning $56 million domestically. Fox later pulled the planned 2017 "Fantastic Four" sequel from it's schedule.

"FF" producer Simon Kinberg still holds out hope for more of the franchise, as he revealed in an interview with Den of Geek -- and he's well aware of the response the first film received.

“We didn't make a good movie, and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly," said Kinberg, adding that Fox "made many mistakes" with "Fantastic Four" -- "mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.”

Kinberg hopes that the "Fantastic Four" gets another chance on the big screen -- and he wants to keep the film's cast intact. “We want to make another 'Fantastic Four' movie. We love that cast -- I mean if I were to say to you now Michael B. Jordan and Miles Teller, and Kate [Mara] and Jamie [Bell] are great actors -- we love that cast. I love the comic, I mean I love it almost as much as X-Men.”

The producer added that a sequel would not be as dark in tone as the 2015 film, and would instead "try to be truer to the essence of the tone of Fantastic Four" which is "brighter, funner, more optimistic." Kinberg added: "I think we tried to make a darker Fantastic Four movie, which seemed like a radical idea but we were kind of messing with the DNA of the actual comic instead of trusting the DNA of the comic.”

No official update has been given regarding a "Fantastic Four" follow-up, but Kinberg says he's "working really hard on figuring that out. Nothing would make me happier than the world embracing a Fantastic Four movie.”
          I was watching part of the movie last night, and I like the cast too. I like the way the Thing looked, but I definitely put pants on that guy. Despite not having genitals, the Things should still wear pants.

However, I'm not sure if most fans would give Fox another chance to get this movie right.

For me, dark and gritty wasn't the problem. The problem was the movie drags on too long before the characters get their super powers, and it was horrible that Sue Storm was sidelined (in part) when they got their powers. And I hated the fact in the Fantastic Four films they tie in Doom's origins with the F4. It's lame and lazy writing. And course, the ending of the film was weak sauce.

I did enjoy elements of the film. I actually did like the science/experiment gone wrong aspect of the film.
          Darth_Primus
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Darth_Primus; 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM.
          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• DAMN IT! Now I'll never know if Jarvis caught that flamingo.

I'm actually kind of surprise by this news considering Agents of SHIELD set up the spinoff to happen.

Well, I'm hoping that Bobbi can crossover into the MCU proper at perhaps in the Netflix MCU. I'd like to see Mockingbird get her propers.
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Fantastic Four: Simon Kinberg wants same cast for “brighter” sequel
              Mired by rumours of behind-the-scenes problems and released to a hostile response, 2015’s Fantastic Four was far from the franchise reboot Fox wanted. Indeed, the removal of Fantastic Four 2 from the studio’s schedule (it was once slated for the summer of 2017) might suggest that a sequel’s out of a question.

According to producer and co-writer Simon Kinberg, however, there’s still appetite for a sequel at Fox - even if they have gone back to the drawing board for now. When we brought the subject of Fantastic Four 2 up at the junket for X-Men: Apocalypse, Kinberg made no secret of his feelings about the 2015 film and its dramatic departure from the comics.

“We didn't make a good movie,” Kinberg said, “and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly. And you can't make a good movie every time out - not everybody does. We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. But I think we made many mistakes when we made that movie - mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.”

At the same time, Kinberg said that the desire to make another Fantastic Four at Fox still remains - and with the same core cast of the last film:

“We want to make another Fantastic Four movie. We love that cast - I mean if I were to say to you now Michael B Jordan and Miles Teller, and Kate [Mara] and Jamie [Bell] are great actors - we love that cast. I love the comic, I mean I love it almost as much as X-Men.”

If it happens, the next Fantastic Four movie would, Kinberg adds, be closer in tone to the comics - so far less of the Cronenbergian body horror than we got in Josh Trank’s reboot.

“We'll try to be truer to the essence of the tone of Fantastic Four, which is completely - well, not completely, but largely - distinct from the X-Men, which is brighter, funner, more optimistic tone. I think we tried to make a darker Fantastic Four movie, which seemed like a radical idea but we were kind of messing with the DNA of the actual comic instead of trusting the DNA of the comic.”

At this stage, it’s far from clear whether another Fantastic Four film will happen, though Kinberg seems upbeat about its chances.

“We're working really hard on figuring that out,” he said. “Nothing would make me happier than the world embracing a Fantastic Four movie.”

More on this as we get it.
              "GAMBIT" MOVIE WAS DELAYED TO GET THE SCRIPT RIGHT, PRODUCER SAYS]
              Although many fans were disappointed earlier this year when Fox's much-discussed "Gambit" film was pulled from October release, executive producer Simon Kinberg assures the move was made for all the right reasons.

"We've gotta get the script right," he told Flickering Myth while promoting "X-Men: Apocalypse." "We just didn't get the script to the place that we all felt like that movie deserved, so we're still working on the script -- we're very close, actually, to being done with the script."

Kinberg added the goal is for the film to begin production by the end of this year or the beginning of next, once there's an opening in star Channing Tatum's schedule.

"I think one of the things that I've learned on all of these movies -- and maybe the lesson was best learned for me on 'Deadpool' -- is the most important thing is getting the tone and the voice right," he said. "That the storytelling, the actual plots, are sort of interchangeable and disposable, ultimately. If I ask you what your favorite movies are, you're not going to tell me the plot, you're going to tell me you love this character, and so what we've really tried to do with 'Gambit' is make sure we get the voice of that character right, and the tone of the comics 100 percent on the page."

"There was a moment where we were going to shoot the movie at the beginning of this year, and then we felt it just wasn't ready," Kinberg continued. "So, knowing -- hoping -- that 'Gambit' is, like 'Deadpool' was, the start of a new franchise within the X-Men universe, we want to make sure to get it right."

Doug Liman ("The Bourne Identity," "Edge of Tomorrow") was at one point attached to direct, but reportedly boarded another project amid the "Gambit" delays. It's unclear whether he'll still be involved with the adaptation.
              THR: Michael B. Jordan Joins Marvel's 'Black Panther'
              Michael B Jordan will reteam with his Creed director Ryan Coogler for Marvel Studios’ Black Panther, inking a deal to join movie's buzzy cast, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

This would be the third time that Jordan will work with Coogler, who is helming the comic book movie as well as writing the script. The first time the duo came together was for the indie drama Fruitvale Station.

Chadwick Boseman is toplining Black Panther while Lupita Nyong’o is in negotiations to star alongside him.

It is unclear who Jordan would play but one source told THR that it could be a villain. Marvel had no comment.

Boseman and Black Panther were introduced in Captain America: Civil War, which crossed the $700 million worldwide mark in under a week and a half.

The character, whose name is T’Challa, is the warrior king of Wakanda, Marvel’s fictional African nation that is rich in an unbreakable alloy called vibranium.

Black Panther has a Feb. 16, 2018, release date, with production set to start in early 2017.

Panther won’t be Jordan’s superhero movie debut. The actor last year starred as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch in Fox’s Marvel franchise, The Fantastic Four.

Jordan is currently developing a remake of The Thomas Crowne Affair as an acting vehicle. He will also produce the remake along with the Joe and Anthony Russo.

Jordan is repped by WME, MGMT Management, and Bloom Hergott.

Comment

• MARVEL’S STAR WARS: DARTH VADER COMIC WILL END WITH ISSUE #25

Comment

• Huh. At least it gives me the chance to read the full series and not risk falling any farther behind, and have the entire thing collected.
                  Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• It's pretty weird that it's being cancelled, Darth Vader was the 6th best selling book in March.

Comment

• Can't say the same strikes me, since Gillen did emphasize that the book was limited in premise to begin with and it was never his intention to exceed said premise. He's written a story about recovery and a large degree of ascension, and it's done incredibly well.

If Marvel wants to push it beyond that with a second run, hopefully they'll grab a team that's as good and set things between Empire and Jedi.
                      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by -M- View Post

How could a new Fox/Disney partnered F4 work where the last two attempts didn't?
                        I don't doubt that it could work, Marvel has only two or three movies that I haven't enjoyed so I certainly think Feige and his team could make it work.

Originally posted by -M- View Post
                        The Fantastic Four NEED the rest of the Marvel U. to be important.
                        ~M~
                        I don't see how you can be a fan of those characters, have read that Hickman run of the comics and still utter those words.

Good for Michael. He's a great actor and I'm glad he'll be getting a bigger stage to work with. Hopefully he's not bombarded with FF questions after this.

Comment

• Marvel’s ‘Inhumans’ Movie Is Still Happening, Once They Figure Out Where to Put It

Comment

• BRYAN SINGER: Next X-MEN Film Could Go Into Outer Space

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                              I don't see how you can be a fan of those characters, have read that Hickman run of the comics and still utter those words.
                              The Fantastic Four comics were where folks like the Inhumans, Black Panther, and Ronan got their start and made their first appearances. All of those are being used by Disney. The Skrulls and Galactus seem infinitely more badass when they take down the Avengers and everyone else leaving the F4 to save the day. And I know I'm not the only one who'd love to see the Hulk and the Thing go at it in a movie somewhere. Without the F4 we wouldn't have half the stuff being pushed to the media forefront. The team just seems more important when its in the same universe as the other characters.

~M~

Comment

• I don't think that the dark and gritty Fant4stic was the films problem. I actually liked the Cronenberg approach to the film and experiment gone wrong. When the team got their powers, it was the most dramatic and compelling part of the film. It's the rest of the story, especially, the "one year later" time jump that killed the film.

Josh Trank was over his head with this film.

Translation, Deadpool made over $700 million worldwide on a $35-$50 million budget. Gambit reported $150 million budget is insane. Change the script to lower the budget.

I think it has to do with Agents of SHIELD. I think it has probably 2-3 season left at best, but probably just one more season as Agent Carter and Most Wanted were recently canned. However, I'd like to think that the Inhumans will be part of Phase IV where it will spin out of Fantastic Four.

No more Bryan Singer, PLEASE!!! This franchise need someone else other than Bryan Singer. Get Tim Miller (Deadpool director) or Mathew Vaughn back for the next X-Men flick.

Comment

Working...
                                X