Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC Comics giving musician and writer Gerard Way his own imprint was one of the comics industry’s most surprising announcements this year, and the formation of Young Animal represents an exciting new phase for the publisher. Dedicated to reviving the stranger properties at DC Comics, Young Animal definitely has an early Vertigo influence in its initial lineup, which includes new versions of former Vertigo titles like Doom Patrol and Shade The Changing Man (which is now Shade The Changing Girl). The imprint debuts with the launch of Doom Patrol in September, and The A.V. Club has a first look at art from the new series written by Way with art by Nick Derington and colorist Tamra Bonvillain.

“DC’s Young Animal is first and foremost about the art of making comics: the teams and the collaboration and the desire of creators to do new and experimental things,” says Way. “It is a place for wild ideas, and these ideas become Comics for Dangerous Humans—those who seek an alternative to what is largely happening in mainstream comics and the media. We do this with honor to the past, while facing the future in a fearless way. I hope you check out these books—they are doing something different, they are forming something new. We are extracting the oddballs from the DC Universe and zapping them with invigorating life.”

Doom Patrol is the first oddball to get a Young Animal revamp, and it’s one that Way has a strong personal attachment to. “I grew up reading Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol and other books that paved the way for the Vertigo imprint,” says Way. “Stories that starred misfit characters from the DC Universe and people living on the fringes of society.” This new series reimagines established Doom Patrol characters like Robotman, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo, and Crazy Jane, but also introduces new figures like Casey Brinke, the EMT featured in these preview pages. Casey is the reader surrogate in Way’s story, and her intersection with the Doom Patrol sends her on a bizarre journey that forces her to come to terms with her own peculiar past.

“Telling great stories via words and pictures is the ultimate form of self-expression,” says Way. “I can’t think of a better place to tell the stories that represent the alternative zeitgeist than DC’s Young Animal.” Readers can tap into the alt-zeitgeist when Doom Patrol #1 debuts on September 14, but in the meanwhile, here is solicitation info and some preview images to whet readers’ appetites, including the cover for the first issue, the cover art for Diamond’s Previews catalog (the first time DC has commissioned new art for Previews), and two pages of interior art. The main cover is actually a sticker that reveals another image when the gyro is lifted, and as silly as the gimmick is, it establishes that Young Animal is taking a different approach to monthly comics.

DOOM PATROL #1
    Written by GERARD WAY
    Art and cover by NICK DERINGTON
    Variant cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
    Variant cover by SANFORD GREENE
    Variant cover by JAIME HERNANDEZ
    Variant cover by BRIAN CHIPPENDALE
    Variant cover by BABS TARR
    Retailers: This issue will ship with six covers. Please see the order form for details.
    On sale SEPTEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

The atoms are buzzing. The daydreams crowd sentient streets, and the creative team has been warned, “Turn back now or suffer the mighty consequence of sheer, psycho-maniacal mayhem.” Generation-arsonists unite—this is DOOM PATROL, and the God of the Super Heroes is bleeding on the floor.

A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.

“It gets weirder from here,” writer Gerard Way had to say about the book, with artist Nick Derington gripping tightly on the wheel of the ambulance. The pair’s only communication? Shouting out of the open windows while at high velocity. Who needs a new roommate? Who names a cat “Lotion”? And when do we get to see all those muscles?

Find your answers inside the pages of this comic book, as we set the stage for new beginnings, as well as the re-introduction of some classic DOOM PATROL characters, including Niles Caulder, Negative Man, Flex Mentallo, and Crazy Jane.

The debut title of DC’s Young Animal line kicks off with a removable sticker on its cover: Pull back the gyro to reveal its secrets, but be warned—there is no turning back.

Comment

SIX GODDAMN COVERS?!?!? SERIOUSLY DC?!?!?

Comment

I read up on the writer and he's apparently big into the whole transgender fad and considers himself transgender. This sounds like it's going to end up more Rachael Pollack than Grant Morrison. I've pretty much heard enough. Paying someone to mimic Morrison's run will just end up in disaster like Pollack's run did.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
          SIX GODDAMN COVERS?!?!? SERIOUSLY DC?!?!?
          Is Chippendale even a real artist or is that someone using a fake name to avoid double credit?

I read up on the writer and he's apparently big into the whole transgender fad and considers himself transgender. This sounds like it's going to end up more Rachael Pollack than Grant Morrison. I've pretty much heard enough. Paying someone to mimic Morrison's run will just end up in disaster like Pollack's run did.
          Yeah, I think I'll pass. I've never been a big fan of DP anyway and this doesn't look like the book to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            I'm feeling a little put out that DC may well have deliberately run a shorter initial run on this so they could jack the price on all subsequent runs once hype had built (partly from its "sold out" status). I'm also more annoyed that my LCS didn't pull it for me in the first place (though if the quantities were limited, they may not have GOTTEN enough copies to pull one for me).

Is anybody really demanding the fancier binding that supposedly accounts for this higher price? I doubt it.
            Well considering the book 200k+ on the first printing it looks like quantities weren't limited, you just had bad luck unfortunately.

Originally posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
            not a fan of this art, won't read Green Arrow due to this.
            Booo, but they are rotating artists.

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
            Titans: Rebirth #1 Preview
            Writer: Dan Abnett
            Artist: Brett Booth

This was a decent issue #0, I suppose kind of a DC Universe: Rebirth #1 2.5. I'll be reading the book since but I do wish they had paired a better colorist with Booth or just put a better artist on the book period.

Originally posted by Chosen
            I don't know what's gotten into Ben Percy, but Green Arrow is my book of the week!
            Percy's wordiness is still his biggest weakness as a writer, there were definitely times in the book where I thought the dialogue just came off as plain awkward. Plus I'm not super enthused with the direction of the plot as we just had something similar in Lemire's run on the title. That being said I'm very much enjoying seeing Black Canary and Green Arrow together so I'm still enjoying the book.

3.5/5.

On a related note Green Arrow: Rebirth #1 reportedly sold 90k+.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Yeah, I think I'll pass. I've never been a big fan of DP anyway and this doesn't look like the book to change my mind.
            I'm still excited, The Umbrella Academy was a great book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
              I'm still excited, The Umbrella Academy was a great book.
              I don't even remember the solicits.

Comment

Andrew Dalhouse has had these muted/dull looking colors since The New 52 kicked off. The only time I wasn't bothered by his coloring was on a Grifter issue during that alien takeover crossover they had early on.

Comment

TRINITY #1
                  Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL
                  Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

“BETTER TOGETHER” part 1! Together again for the first time! Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. The core of the World's Greatest Heroes…but with a new Man of Steel, the bonds these three share will be tested and redefined by super-star writer/artist Francis Manapul. In this premiere issue, see the trio travel from Metropolis to Gotham City and beyond to learn what forces launched their heroic careers. But how will this journey of discovery lead them to a new threat?
                  On sale SEPTEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Comment

DC Comics September 2016 Solicitations

Comment

Pair of DC’s Twice-Monthly Shipping Titles Experiencing Hiccups
                      One month after DC's kick-off of "Rebirth," some of the twice-monthly titles involved are already experiencing post-solicitations creative changes.

DC has informed retailers that July's Superman #3 will be drawn by announced Super Sons artist Jorge Jimenez (replacing series co-writer/artist Patrick Gleason on that issue), while Green Lanterns #3 artists Robson Rocha and Jay Leisten will be joined by Jack Herbert, Neil Edwards, Keith Champagne, Tom Derenick, and Tom Palmer.

This comes despite DC announcing rotating artistic teams for those titles. Doug Mahnke was scheduled to rotate with Patrick Gleason on Superman, while Green Lanterns had an announced rotating team of Rocha and Ardian Syraf.

As already detailed in DC's September solicitations , Batman #6 will feature fill-in art by Ivan Reis, while Riley Rossmo will draw at least the first part of the "Night of the Monster Men" crossover - Batman #7, giving the regular rotating artists David Finch and Mikel Janin a full month off.

In addition to those creative changes, DC's retailer email also reveals delays across several of the final "New 52" era titles. June 15's Harley Quinn #29 and Suicide Squad Most Wanted: Deadshot/Katana #6 are moved back to June 22, while June 22's Harley's Little Black Book #4 is bumped three weeks back to July 13. Sister title Harley Quinn & Her Gang of Harleys #4, along with Legends of Tomorrow #5, are both pushed from July 13 to July 20. The Hanna-Barbera title Future Quest #2 was also delayed, moving from June 29 to July 6.

Comment

DC has informed retailers that July's Superman #3 will be drawn by announced Super Sons artist Jorge Jimenez (replacing series co-writer/artist Patrick Gleason on that issue), while Green Lanterns #3 artists Robson Rocha and Jay Leisten will be joined by Jack Herbert, Neil Edwards, Keith Champagne, Tom Derenick, and Tom Palmer.

This comes despite DC announcing rotating artistic teams for those titles. Doug Mahnke was scheduled to rotate with Patrick Gleason on Superman, while Green Lanterns had an announced rotating team of Rocha and Ardian Syraf.
                        This won't be the title that gets the front burner treatment by DC. It will get shoved to the back one and have a lot of lower quality filler art within 6 months.

Comment

No notes, and favorite covers? Suppose I could do this once in awhile LOL

* Raven's finally getting her series? Awesome. Bout damn time.

* Batman Beyond is getting Terry back somehow, and I'm intrigued. But it's still in this weird Futures End future.. :/

* Even with Ted Kord flying around in his old Beetle ship as a mentor, I still don't find Jamie that interesting as Blue Beetle.

* 'Who Is Clark Kent' is looking to be my main reason for checking into Action Comics.

* Aquaman vs Superman. Booyah.

* Godspeed feels a lot like Zoom from the Flash tv series on the CW. Still wanna see more of him, and these 'citizen speedsters'.

Something that really bugs me post-Rebirth... no Hawkman? Seriously? ANYWHERE?

Sweet covers:

~M~

Comment

I would guess that they are saving Hawkman for the rollout of the JSA. He was always a better fit in the Society than the League.

Comment

No one cares about hawkman

Comment

So, I went to my LCS yesterday. They ordered the second printing of Rebirth, and were shorted their entire order. They literally got NONE. So I STILL haven't had a chance to read it, even at the new, jacked up price. I assume my experience MUST be atypical. You would think DC would want to make it EASY to pick this issue up, but given how instantly the first run sold out, and the fact that apparently the second run wasn't large enough to fulfill orders, I'm wondering what's going on...

Comment

Working...
                                X