This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
    DC has been dark for the past decade or so, what's going on now is no different from say Forever Evil
    Seems darker to me. Forever Evil didn't reframe the entire universe to be darker at its core, it just had a bunch of villains. And did Forever Evil tarnish any heroes? I don't recall.

But yeah, I've been unhappy with the grimmer trajectory of the DC Universe for quite some time. Probably started as far back as Identity Crisis, which I thoroughly disliked. Nowadays, though, the darker tone seems a bit more universal and line-wide.
    Mister Ed
    Horse of a Different Color
    Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-07-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Batman: Metal is all i'm gonna say about this

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by IonFan View Post
        Batman: Metal is all i'm gonna say about this
        I didn't even read Metal. I could tell I wasn't going to like it, and thought it wouldn't be that important outside the event. The fact that I seem to have been wrong about the latter is part of why I don't like the direction the DCU is taking.

Comment

• I passed on Metal. Come to think of it the last event I think I DID take part in was Brightest Day. Just no interest in them anymore.

Comment

• Metal was decent, I will probably always like Capullo's art. I generally like Snyder, but his non-cape stuff is his best. Reading No Justice and Metal prevented me from getting into his Justice League run.
            Too many ideas at once, too much going on, too many words. I couldn't get interested.

Year of the villain isn't anything new to me and I am glad to skip it, though I much prefer bad guy Lex over heroic Lex.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
              Metal was decent, I will probably always like Capullo's art. I generally like Snyder, but his non-cape stuff is his best. Reading No Justice and Metal prevented me from getting into his Justice League run.
              Too many ideas at once, too much going on, too many words. I couldn't get interested. . .
              I read the whole thing and I still can't remember why what they did broke the source wall. I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I read the whole thing and I still can't remember why what they did broke the source wall. I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.
                ^ this, this right here, i too have read all 3 of the Metal books and at the end of the day i have no clue wtf i read wtf was happening and why i should care

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  ^I don't like how dark this coming year is looking to be between Year of the Villain and Leviathan. Justice League is already depressing, now it looks like everything is going that way.
                  Yeah, and don't forget the atrociously dark Heroes in Crisis.
                  To think that they had JUST celebrated their own return to lightheartedness with DC Rebirth.

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                  Seems darker to me. Forever Evil didn't reframe the entire universe to be darker at its core, it just had a bunch of villains. And did Forever Evil tarnish any heroes? I don't recall.
                  Well, it did turn Nightwing into special agent Grayson for a year or two. Which was still better than the current "Ric Grayson" arc.

But yeah, I've been unhappy with the grimmer trajectory of the DC Universe for quite some time. Probably started as far back as Identity Crisis, which I thoroughly disliked. Nowadays, though, the darker tone seems a bit more universal and line-wide.
                  Sometimes, I wish that DC would reset all of their books to New Year's Eve 1999 and claim that everything in-between had been a simulation by Brainiac 13. While the years after that had a few nice concepts and updates (I like Batwoman Kate Kane, Blue Beetle Jaime Reyes, Morrison's Seven Soldiers and Batman, Manhunter Kate Spencer and a few others, and the Rucka/Grayson/Brubaker/Vaughan-era of Batman/Detective Comics/Gotham Knights was choice), going back to pre-Infinite Crisis, pre-Our Worlds At War, pre-Green Lantern Rebirth, pre-New-52 etc seems like the only way I'll ever call myself a DC fan again. Every time I think they're getting their act together, they let me down massively. Every single time.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  I also still don't get who exactly The Batman Who Laughs is and whether he was the main baddie or not.
                  He wasn't the main villain of Metal, that was Barbatos. The Batman Who Laughs was the one who brought Barbatos upon the DC Universe though, with the help of the other multiverse Dark Knights, the Court of Owls and the mantling. One of the reasons we don't remember what happened to the Batman Who Laughs is that they never showed us in Metal. The last issue of Metal had a confrontation between regular Batman, Joker and the Batman Who Laughs, and then as the trump card, other Batmen from the "good" parts of the Multiverse appeared. Dark Knights Returns Batman, Leatherwing, Red Son Batman, Kelley Jones vampire Batman and others.
                  This huge "you need good Batmen to fight evil Batmen" splashpage was the last we saw of it, the rest of the issue dealt with other stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                    ...He wasn't the main villain of Metal, that was Barbatos. The Batman Who Laughs was the one who brought Barbatos upon the DC Universe though, with the help of the other multiverse Dark Knights, the Court of Owls and the mantling. One of the reasons we don't remember what happened to the Batman Who Laughs is that they never showed us in Metal. . .
                    Oh, yeah. Thanks.

Comment

• That sounds awful.

Comment

• Dark Knights Metal is an event that started with Kid Toyman building a Justice League Megazord to defeat Mongul. That sets a very specific baseline for the rest of the story.

Comment

• I can barely ever remember Kid Toyman even exists, and I wish Mongul didn't, he means so little to me. As for Metal (main), I didn't read the whole thing (issues kept selling out), so I need to get the full series and give it a proper read, but what I do remember I liked well enough. I clearly recall the tie-ins for the various Metal Knights to be very good, though.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Yeah, those evil Multiverse Dark Knights were a terrible concept, but the execution was insanely good. On most of them.

Comment

• This August, Warren Ellis unites with artist Ramon Villalobos for an action-packed new era of WILDCATS. Following his genre-breaking work reintroducing beloved superheroes from the WildStorm Universe, Ellis and Villalobos will take the covert team on a new adventure in a six-issue miniseries beginning August 28.

“The first line I wrote down for WILDCATS was: ‘Saving the human race from the human race,’” says Ellis. “It’s a team made up of people who have seen the worst in everybody and everything, and yet still put themselves in frankly absurd amounts of jeopardy just so tomorrow might be a little bit better. And it’s a short series, so I might just kill them all. Come and see what happens. The art is great.”

“Warren has created something truly spectacular with the relaunch of the WildStorm universe over the past two years,” says DC Chief Creative Officer and Publisher Jim Lee. “There are few visionaries in our business and few still who can elevate mythos with such vitality and spectacle. Paired with Ramon’s extraordinary artwork, I’m thrilled for fans to check this out come August.”

From the pages of THE WILD STORM, the piratical covert team are here to stop humanity from destroying itself. The black-ops team featuring Grifter, Savant, John Colt and Adrianna Tereshkova have discovered that the secret space program Skywatch has been performing medical experiments on abducted innocents for decades. And now one of those experiments is about to explode—revealing a new threat and level of danger that no one could have prepared for. The covert team may have thought the world was strange before, but they had no idea—and now the stakes might just be too high.

“From the jump, WILDCATS has always represented to me the most modern and cutting-edge approach to superhero comics,” says Villalobos. “I’m excited for the opportunity to draw fun and fashionable comics for the coolest and smartest audiences in comics. WILDCATS has a heritage of genius creators who have worked on these characters, so it’s pretty cool to be able to awkwardly put my name among theirs.”

WILDCATS from Ellis and Villalobos will build on Ellis and Jon Davis-Hunt’s 24-issue series THE WILD STORM, which kicked off in 2016. The series will channel the same breakneck energy and imagination, creating a thrilling new story for fans of the WildStorm universe.

WILDCATS #1 is available on August 28. You can check out the main cover and variant cover here.
                              Cover by Jim Cheung and Tomeu Morey

Variant cover by Chris Burnham and Nathan Fairbairn

Comment

• New Justice League logo:

Comment

Working...
                                X