No announcement yet.

The Batman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing exciting, but in an article Justin Timberlake said he'd like to play the Riddler.

Comment

• Batman/Superman #3 was very enjoyable. I know the whole backstory between Earth-2 Bruce and Clark was a bit cliche/corny but I liked it. And I'm actually glad they had someone else draw those segments.

Batman Incorporated Special #1..this made me wish they had continued Batman Incorporated as an anthology book after Grant left...and who knew Nathan Fairbairn could write!

Comment

• I liked the kid story a lot. Felt kind of old school (like, "guess what the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight met when they were kiddies?").

Comment

• Read Poison Ivy #1, liked it. Art and story were good, but the cover is just mesmerizing.

Asked my store to pull Killer Croc as well when it comes in at the end of the month.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• With A Heavy Heart…
            Dear Batwoman readers -

From the moment DC asked us to write Batwoman — a dream project for both of us — we were committed to the unofficial tagline “No Status Quo.” We felt that the series and characters should always be moving forward, to keep changing and evolving. In order to live up to our mantra and ensure that each arc took Batwoman in new directions, we carefully planned plotlines and story beats for at least the first five arcs well before we ever wrote a single issue. We’ve been executing on that plan ever since, making changes whenever we’ve come up with a better idea, but in general remaining consistent to our core vision.

Unfortunately, in recent months, DC has asked us to alter or completely discard many long-standing storylines in ways that we feel compromise the character and the series. We were told to ditch plans for Killer Croc’s origins; forced to drastically alter the original ending of our current arc, which would have defined Batwoman’s heroic future in bold new ways; and, most crushingly, prohibited from ever showing Kate and Maggie actually getting married. All of these editorial decisions came at the last minute, and always after a year or more of planning and plotting on our end.

We’ve always understood that, as much as we love the character, Batwoman ultimately belongs to DC. However, the eleventh-hour nature of these changes left us frustrated and angry — because they prevent us from telling the best stories we can. So, after a lot of soul-searching, we’ve decided to leave the book after Issue 26.

We’re both heartbroken over leaving, but we feel strongly that you all deserve stories that push the character and the series forward. We can’t reliably do our best work if our plans are scrapped at the last minute, so we’re stepping aside. We are committed to bringing our run to a satisfying conclusion and we think that Issue 26 will leave a lasting impression.

We are extremely thankful for the opportunity to work on Batwoman. It’s been one of the most challenging and rewarding projects of our careers. We’ll always be grateful to everyone who helped us realize 26 issues: Mike Siglain, who brought us onto the project originally; Greg Rucka for inspirationally setting the stage; our amazing artists Amy Reeder, Trevor McCarthy, Pere Perez, Rob Hunter, Walden Wong, Sandu Florea, Richard Friend, Francesco Francavilla, Guy Major, Dave Stewart, and Todd Klein; Larry Ganem, for listening in tough times; and editors Mike Marts, Harvey Richards, Rickey Purdin, and Darren Shan.

And most of all, a huge thank you to everyone who read the book. Hearing your voices, your reactions, your enthusiasm every month was such a joy, so humbling, so rewarding. You guys rock! Because so many of you embraced the series, we were able to complete four arcs, and your passion for Batwoman encouraged us to push ourselves to do our best work with each and every issue.

Thank you for loving Batwoman as much as we do.

Goodbye for now,
            Haden & J H

Comment

• They need to get Greg Rucka and Jae Lee. ASAP.

Comment

• 1. I'm so sick and tired of creators airing their dirty laundry after they depart. Its completely unprofessional and irks me to no end.

2. Should have known shit was about to go down...When Batman shows up in a book where he isn't the star, shit is about to go downhill fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                  Should have known shit was about to go down...When Batman shows up in a book where he isn't the star, shit is about to go downhill fast.

I don't think truer words have ever been spoken...

Comment

• Comment

1. I'm so sick and tired of creators airing their dirty laundry after they depart. Its completely unprofessional and irks me to no end.
                      Yeah, but it's also unprofessional for DC to make such last minute changes.
                      MEH

Comment

• comics are always in a state of flux, anytihng can change at the drop of a dime. you'd think that the people that write and create them would know and understand that.

Comment

• To an extent, sure. But from a creative side, it would be incredibly frustrating. These are stories that you've been building up toward for years and now you have to change everything that was going to be the payoff to the story you've been writing? I'd quit too if it became too much.
                          MEH

Comment

• thats why you dont build an arc that plays out over years, the audience doesnt have near the attention span that they used to.

Comment

• That's clearly one way to go about it. Episodic adventures can be a lot of fun. I'd never compromise a story though because I think the audience doesn't have an attention span. If you aren't keeping the majority's attention, that's the fault of the writer or artist, not the reader. In fact TV is getting away from the more episodic story structure in favor of arcs. Audiences want more than a story that has no lasting impact on the protagonist.
                              MEH

Comment

1. I'm so sick and tired of creators airing their dirty laundry after they depart. Its completely unprofessional and irks me to no end.
                                As much as you think you're sick of people voicing their grievances against human-induced misfortune, it does not nor will it ever compare to the bottomless sea of utter loathing I have for decisions the likes of which DC has made.

Comics are in a state of flux? No shit. They're comics; anything goes in them.

But when you go bandying about that you're putting out quality work and especially when you hold a book of singular status (go on and show me a lesbian-led main-published comic other than Batwoman), and when you have extreme effort put into that book, and then you go about and change it drastically with virtually zero notice?

Yeah, no, you're clearly a dick.

DC is willing to churn out absolute garbage, e.g. Teen Titans, and bends over backwards to accommodate people like Snyder, but they intentionally squander the efforts of good writers who are actually fucking trying to be good writers. The way they run their ship, it makes no sense and is utterly amazing that Batman, Incorporated or Wonder Woman are even allowed to be published at all.

I'm not the only person here who recalls that "Future Events Timeline Wall" that Bendis put into an Avengers issue years ago. How many of those events have come to pass? Most of them, wasn't it? Why can't DC let writers like Haden and JH have as thorough a planning and execution? They have no problem letting Morrison tie together every Batman era and character, even schmucks who appeared in a single panel 60 years ago. He's allowed to keep his little corner of the universe intact but nobody else? You're making shit up as you go with your entire universe, DC; you can afford some goddamn intellect, some fucking detail.

Did DC plan Villain's Month far enough in advance that they had to refuse an origin for Croc? Probably, since events are calender dates more than anything now. But I see no reason why Haden and JH couldn't have been allowed to have a portion of that cake and for others to build upon it. Don't believe me? Take a look at the person who wrote the first origin of the Cheetah, and then take a look at the person who is writing her exposition in one of this month's Wonder Woman issues.

I'm buying the trades up through their departure, but after that, Detective Comics is going to have a very hard time selling their product to me.
                                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X