This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 144 Larfleeze 7 $2.99 DC 13,950
    Goddamn, do they have to have a house dropped on them for DC to get the point that fans don't want this title?

Comment

• Huh, Batman was the only comic to break the 100k mark...no es bueno.

Comment

• GL drops below 50k for the first time since Kyle was the star of the book which was over 10 years ago, nice job DC. And at the pace that Venditti is going I would be surprised if by the end of the year we're looking at GL below 40k which would be a disaster. DC need to smarten up and put someone on the book that knows how to write Hal and GL because the fans are speaking big time about the current run.
        "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

• Originally posted by Raker616 View Post
          GL drops below 50k for the first time since Kyle was the star of the book which was over 10 years ago, nice job DC. And at the pace that Venditti is going I would be surprised if by the end of the year we're looking at GL below 40k which would be a disaster. DC need to smarten up and put someone on the book that knows how to write Hal and GL because the fans are speaking big time about the current run.
          I suspect the drop has as much to do with the fact that Geoff Johns' name isn't on the cover anymore as it does with anything Venditti has or hasn't done. Whatever people might feel about Geoff's run on GL, it does seem like his name sells comics.

Comment

GL drops below 50k for the first time since Kyle was the star of the book which was over 10 years ago, nice job DC. And at the pace that Venditti is going I would be surprised if by the end of the year we're looking at GL below 40k which would be a disaster. DC need to smarten up and put someone on the book that knows how to write Hal and GL because the fans are speaking big time about the current run.
            Big names sell comics, nothing new here. Unfortunately DC has driven off most big name writers by now...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              I suspect the drop has as much to do with the fact that Geoff Johns' name isn't on the cover anymore as it does with anything Venditti has or hasn't done. Whatever people might feel about Geoff's run on GL, it does seem like his name sells comics.
              I agree with you that names sell books, but Geoff's run was on fumes and dropping rapidly. I think the same thing would be happening with the continuation of the skittles corps and the roving star(Sinestro/Baz) crap He was doing.

Comment

Another case of fans casting rocks at Green Lantern while conveniently ignoring an industry wide decline in sales. I guess stuff like that happens when people get spoiled by having the biggest name in comics writing the title for so long.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                  Another case of fans casting rocks at Green Lantern while conveniently ignoring an industry wide decline in sales. I guess stuff like that happens when people get spoiled by having the biggest name in comics writing the title for so long.
                  Right. It's not like Grant Morrison didn't have one of the biggest names in comics. Oh wait he did and yet Scott Snyder is blowing his stuff out of the park.

I was under the impression that the new 52 brought in all these new readers? Are you saying it just drove away all the loyal ones? GL was one of the main titles in DC and a sales driver, now it's not and the whole of DC is suffering except Batman. Maybe, Geoff wasn't boosting the title before he left and now Venditti is taking his bad idea and driving four major titles in DC into the ground. 4 going on 5 titles of 52 that was driving the company now stink and aren't drawing in readers. coincidence?

Comment

• You know what would be cool? If one of you guys compiled the sales list for each of the GL titles' history in separate columns. One for each title since Rebirth. It'd be interesting to see the history right in front of me.

You know, if one of youse guys 'r bored or something...

Comment

• Well, I don't have time to do it all right now, but if you'd like to see just the main title since the relaunch every January, here you go:

January, 2006: Green Lantern #7 sells 84,694 in 5th place
                      January, 2007: Green Lantern #16 sells 66,101 in 23rd place
                      January, 2008: Green Lantern #27 sells 67,546 in 25th place
                      January, 2009: Green Lantern #37 sells 65,536 in 11th place
                      January, 2010: Green Lantern #50 sells 106,444 in 2nd place
                      January, 2011: no Green Lantern released; GLC 56 sells 53,646 in 13th place
                      [The next month, Feb. 2011, Green Lantern 62 sells 71,517 in 1st place]
                      January, 2012: Green Lantern #5 sells 97,878 in 5th place
                      January, 2013: Green Lantern #16 sells 72,884 in 16th place
                      January, 2014: Green Lantern #27 sells 48,831 in 26th place

As for the industry during that time:
                      olumn A = Unit Sales for Diamond's Top 300 Comic Books from each month (est.)
                      Column B = Dollar Sales for Diamond's Top 300 Comic Books from each month (est.)

2005 76.13 million copies $221.73 million
                      2006 81.85 million copies $252.18 million
                      2007 85.27 million copies $270.00 million
                      2008 81.34 million copies $263.00 million
                      2009 74.88 million copies $257.88 million
                      2010 69.20 million copies $245.72 million
                      2011 72.13 million copies $248.44 million
                      2012 80.55 million copies $285.02 million
                      2013 84.51 million copies $308.71 million
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 02-13-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        January, 2012: Green Lantern #5 sells 97,878 in 5th place
                        January, 2013: Green Lantern #16 sells 72,884 in 16th place
                        January, 2014: Green Lantern #27 sells 48,831 in 26th place
                        Wow. That right there is pretty telling. What a bummer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                          Wow. That right there is pretty telling. What a bummer.
                          No, not really.

Most comics that aren't named Batman, Spider-Man or X-Men seem to drop. Green Lantern was going to drop because of the writer change anyway.
                          Mister.Weirdo
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 02-13-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• The fact that there is a drop is not news, the news is that the drop seems to not have a stop date. The book right now is horrible and Venditti who DC took a major chance on only seems to be turning fans away to the whole GL line. GL has gone from DC's top book and franchise to one that is on a major decline and unless something is done to shake things up again we could see the whole GL line become irrelevant.
                            "If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                              Ditto the quoted comments.....I wonder if the "Golden Age" started by Johns with Rebirth is slowly reaching it's end? We'll see with the Sinestro title, but you have to wonder if a Johns-less GL Universe can support 6 titles.....
                              “You were electrocuted by a Giant Moth. That kind of thing will scramble your brain right good." -- Boxer (in Godzilla #6)

Comment

• A change will be in the winds for DC the day that the logo "The New 52" drops off the front covers. Geoff Johns does things in cycles of 52. Countdown to Infinite Crisis (52 issues). 52 itself (52 issues). Trinity (52 issues). 52 Monitors at the time of Final Crisis, right? As long as Johns is creative director (and, at last glance, he still was), and as long as DC is committed to keeping at least 52 titles in print (and, at last glance, some of them don't deserve to be), the top 52 titles will be continued. Let us hope the GL titles stay ahead of that.

Favorite title with a GL right now? Injustice, Gods Among Us. Hands down.
                                Evergreen City
                                Corps Den Mother
                                Last edited by Evergreen City; 02-18-2014, 05:49 AM. Reason: doing it by the numbers

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Working...
                                X