This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Instead of greedy, I'd say overconfident. That's also the reason they poured all that money into the Green Lantern movie.

Geoff's reinvention of the property just wasn't what they thought it was. It was a flash in the pan.
    Most likely both. They figured all they had to do was just modify the GL logo slap it on a different colour t-shirt and fans would buy it. And they did.

GL:The Movie wasn't that bad. It should have just focused on Hector Hammond as the villain. Parallax was something that they should waited until they could have introduced Guy,John and Kyle and they all take him down. Having Parallax be a fart cloud that was beaten very easily despite being built up as the big bad didn't help.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
      Most likely both. They figured all they had to do was just modify the GL logo slap it on a different colour t-shirt and fans would buy it. And they did.

GL:The Movie wasn't that bad. It should have just focused on Hector Hammond as the villain. Parallax was something that they should waited until they could have introduced Guy,John and Kyle and they all take him down. Having Parallax be a fart cloud that was beaten very easily despite being built up as the big bad didn't help.
      Yes, Hammond should have been the villain (as he is in The Ravening Pit down there), and having a cloud be the main bad guy was a bad blunder. Hammond was an obvious choice for the first movie. But I think at that point everyone was intoxicated by the sales of Geoff's endless space epic. Earth-based GL stories must have seemed old-school and frowsy to DC then.

They could have kept the costs down too. Why the hell did Hal's uniform have to be CGI? It didn't even look good. They should have just sent Ryan Reynolds to the wardrobe department.
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-29-2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
        They definitely got greedy after Sinestro Corps. War. They saw money money through merchandising and damn the consequences story wise. Since we're heading for another War of Lights hopefully they'll finally get it out of their system. Hopefully those scenes of Natu and Arkillo and the other Yellows abandoning the Yellow to become Green Lanterns [again for Natu] comes to pass sooner rather than later.
        Yes, I like that idea. DC laid enough groundwork in New Guardians to show that Arkillo was a morally complex character despite his fearsome look. There was a time that I would have sneered at the idea of him being heroic at all, but not now. We've also seen numerous SC members question Sinestro's ultimate ends, so the idea of them being absorbed into the Greenies isn't so far-fetched.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        Looking back, GL rose and fell pretty damn fast didn't it? From 2005 to 2011 was a HELL of a time to be a fan. I wish we could recapture that magic.
        I agree, and I still think WB is dragging its feet. They could slowly reacquaint the non-reading public with the GL mythos by putting some of the heroes and villains on Supergirl or Flash, but the studio seems far too gun-shy about the GL '11 film.

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        Yes, Hammond should have been the villain (as he is in The Ravening Pit), and having a cloud be the main bad guy was a bad blunder. Hammond was just an obvious choice for the first movie. They could have kept the costs down too. Why the hell did Hal's uniform have to be CGI? It didn't even look good. They should have just sent Ryan Reynolds to the wardrobe department.
        I didn't mind the costume's look as much as I was bothered by the fact that it was so unnecessary. GL should have one of the easiest costumes to adapt, and the GL costume department could have made something perfectly acceptable without going the expensive CGI route. Big Daddy Dave once said that the movie costume should have looked like the Sideshow 1/6 Hal Jordan figure, and he was right about that. It would have been easier, cheaper, and looked better.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post

I didn't mind the costume's look as much as I was bothered by the fact that it was so unnecessary. GL should have one of the easiest costumes to adapt, and the GL costume department could have made something perfectly acceptable without going the expensive CGI route. Big Daddy Dave once said that the movie costume should have looked like the Sideshow 1/6 Hal Jordan figure, and he was right about that. It would have been easier, cheaper, and looked better.
          I don't think the Hulk should be CGI either. They could find another huge bodybuilder like Lou Ferrigno and put green makeup on him, and he'd look fine.

Comment

• If one were to publish two comics a month, it's just going to cost what it costs for labor and print for two comic books.

DC's strategy is that, instead of printing something like Prez, which DC may have been making no money on, they're using the money it would cost to make Prez and using it toward printing something like Action Comics twice a month. Also, on the books with a big profit margin, like Batman, they're getting that twice a month. So they win there.

Also, I think the suit in the Green Lantern film was one of the worst parts of the movie. And that is REALLY saying something. It was incredibly unaesthetic to me.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-29-2017, 06:07 AM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post

DC's strategy is that, instead of printing something like Prez, which DC may have been making no money on, they're using the money it would cost to make Prez and using it toward printing something like Action Comics twice a month. Also, on the books with a big profit margin, like Batman, they're getting that twice a month. So they win there.
              Yes, the idea that someone here keeps claiming Jim and Dan "copied from Marvel" and that most people at CBR airily dismissed has worked just fine. In fact it's worked so well that now Marvel is going to do it too.

Anyone who wants to see more variety in DC's titles should get behind the proposal that Jim and Dan made here:

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=24494
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-29-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                Yes, the idea that someone here keeps claiming Jim and Dan "copied from Marvel" and that most people at CBR airily dismissed has worked just fine. In fact it's worked so well that now Marvel is going to do it too.

Anyone who wants to see more variety in DC's titles should get behind the proposal that Jim and Dan made here:

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=24494
                The recurring mini-series idea isn't bad. However, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that if DC was to use it, someone over there thought of the same thing, or, who knows, got the idea from some other fan on some other message board.

But like I said in another post, even if DC does get some of their ideas from you (and I'm inclined to believe they don't), it isn't really going to get you anywhere. DC would never acknowledge you for the ideas, no one will ever believe they're your ideas when there are so many other possibilities for how DC got them, and DC wouldn't let you write Green Lantern based on posting on a message board, unless maybe you were some kind of Jesus poster and millions of people showed up to read your posts and universally loved them.

I just don't see what the end game or goal of all of these repetitive posts is supposed to be, if there is one. You should know by now that no one is going to give you credit for DC using these ideas, so why continue? At this point, it's just clogging up the forum with all the same discussions taking place in numerous threads.

90% of discussions around here now seem to boil down to Hal Jordan becoming a race car driver, getting rid of constructs, and Trey Strain giving DC all their ideas.

Can this stuff at least be contained to one thread or area?
                Star-Lantern
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-29-2017, 02:54 PM.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't mind this thread being a little more tightly focused on the sales themselves, but it's a public thread. We get all this tangential stuff and next thing you know you have to go back a couple pages just to check the sales from the last couple months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    Well, I wouldn't mind this thread being a little more tightly focused on the sales themselves, but it's a public thread. We get all this tangential stuff and next thing you know you have to go back a couple pages just to check the sales from the last couple months.
                    Me too. (And I'm not trying to "get anywhere" with DC. I don't need a job. I want them to be competitive with Marvel though, and I want Green Lantern to stop sucking.)

I thought this was kinda interesting on the previous page, but maybe I was the only one. Does anyone know why JLA has crashed and burned? It used to sell in the same range as Batman. And does anyone miss the low-selling titles that Jim and Dan disconnected from life support?

Meanwhile, why are Titans, Teen Titans and Red Hood doing so well?

And does DC just not care how poorly Cyborg sells? Why cancel Batman and Superman but keep publishing Cyborg? I imagine that a lot of the sales from Superman and Wonder Woman shifted over in the twice-monthly publication of Wonder Woman, so that move turned out OK.

BATMAN #52

JUSTICE LEAGUE #50

SUPERMAN #52

DETECTIVE COMICS #52

HARLEY QUINN #28

ACTION COMICS #52

BATMAN SUPERMAN #32
                    N/A

GREEN LANTERN #52
                    34,140 (HJATGLC)

FLASH #52

WONDER WOMAN #52

SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #29
                    N/A

BATGIRL #52

GRAYSON #20
                    38,230 (NIGHTWING)

NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #20
                    40,940 (SS)

ROBIN SON OF BATMAN #12
                    N/A

AQUAMAN #52

DEATHSTROKE #18

GREEN ARROW #52

TEEN TITANS #20

BATMAN BEYOND #12

SWAMP THING #5
                    N/A

EARTH 2 SOCIETY #12
                    N/A

ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL #1
                    23,814 (SUPERGIRL)

RED HOOD ARSENAL #12
                    26,410 (RHATO)

STARFIRE #12
                    N/A

CATWOMAN #52
                    N/A

SINESTRO #23
                    N/A

MARTIAN MANHUNTER #12
                    N/A

CYBORG #11
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-29-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• We could condense threads or guide everyone to stay on topic, but at this point just having the traffic and conversations keep rolling is what is working here. At least everybody here is still talking! This is a long period of a low point for the GL books and I'm just riding it out with the rest of the hardcore fans.

If WB does happen to get that GLC movie off the ground, you can expect DC to put a lot more effort into the comics again and traffic here to be heavy like it used to be when the fair weather fans return.

Comment

• Let me point out that DC is still making a profit from Cyborg with sales of just 13K. But it would make a lot more sense to reassign those creators to a Batman and Superman comic.

Comment

• I bet that if a GLC movie goes into production, WB will force this site to change its name.

Comment

• LOL, we'll see about that.

Comment

• Still no numbers for May.

Comment

• ^Yeah, I've been checking once a day for the last few days. Often ICV2 posts them a day or two before Comics Chronicles and I wait because I can't cut and post them from the former. But right now, neither has them posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X