Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Though if you can find the right head for a swap the Hal from the TRU Ultimate Construct pack (the figure in the middle of the pic) pretty much has John's uniform.

In blackest day or brightest night,
    ...Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda,
    Erm...superstitious and cowardly lot,
    With liberty and justice for all! - Duck Dodgers

Comment

• Since K-Mart has GL on sale, I decided to take a ride up to one that I've never been to see if I could nab some goodies I'd not seen before.

Upon arriving, I see that their toy section is at least 4 times larger than the one I normally go to. I felt like a kid again... until I found out that their action figures don't even cover two sides of an aisle. All of their singles were stuff I'd seen before, so I dejectedly picked up a Scorpion Assault Tomar-Re and a Moto-Jet Kilowog, not wanting to walk away empty-handed (although it bugged me that it looked like ol' TR had a 'stache instead of a beak, I still wanted to get my mitts on one).

Just before I was ready to head out of the toy section, I saw it - an endcap! Glorious, glorious endcap! Nothing new in the singles, but they did have Battle Suit Hal, which I'd only seen once before and failed to grab, and the ever-elusive Test Pilot two-pack! This actually made up for my failed attempts to get a Krona from K-Mart before.

I get 'em home and open 'em up, first Tomar, and everything checks out, then Hal and Martin. So far so good.

I get to 'Wog. Now I'm not much of a big vehicle/accessory guy since I have limited space and am fond of displaying, but I picked it up because K-dub's sculpt was noticeably different. I'm all ecstatic until I realize that KW can't stand. At ALL.

I'm far from an articulation whore and was even willing to overlook the lack of artic on the singles since I liked the sculpts, but this is where Mattel's scrimping has bitten them in the ass; I've now got to find of an inventive way to display him next to my other Jee-Ells because he's permanently fixed in a sitting/kissyourassgoodbye position.

So I'm a bit bummed, but I'm thinking to myself "good haul still overall". I get to the big ol' mecha, pull out Hal and...

Zero f**king points of articulation. Sure, he can stand, but he looks like a damn Green Lantern boner with Ryan Reynolds' head on it, an apt analogy that I'm sure some lass has no doubt just swooned over.

Surely, though, this totem pole Jordan is built because there's no way to get the regular thing into the cockpit, right? Well, that's the thing... I took a standard Hal, squeezed his legs a bit, and got him in just fine (no homo). He's at a bit of an angle, but he fits and the dome shuts perfectly. All they had to do was shift a bit of the mech's internal structure (which from what I can see, would have been totally doable), and you could get original recipe Hal in there with zero effort.

Now see, I remember as a kid, even if a figure was designated to go to a specific vehicle, I still had fun putting other figures in them. I put the Shredder in the Party Wagon, had Magneto ride Wolvie's motorcycle, and even Superman flew the damn Batplane. This was fun, I was using my imagination, and I was happy as a clam. I want to be able to put my other Lanterns in these vehicles if the mood so strikes me - maybe not Polly, but the smaller ones at least.

I know action figures aren't as big these days as they were in my day (except in price... Lord did these total up, even on sale), but for those kids that do want the figures, they're getting put through the ringer. These GLs are much more attractive on the shelf than their main competition, Captain America and Thor. The packaging looks better, the sculpting is better on most of them, and there's a wild assortment, not to mention considering the Lantern powers and how many are in the Corps, almost endless possibilities. Yet the Marvel figs have GL beat in two very important areas; they can bend their elbows and knees.

I've bemoaned the death of DC's Infinite Heroes line across the web while its Marvel counterpart still thrives, not because I hate Marvel Universe, but because DCIH's potential was nearly completely untapped. I thought maybe these figures would herald a rebirth to the line, but when the figures have less articulation than your standard Heroclix, it's hard to see that future.
      Green Lantern Ninja
      Kilowog's Recruit
      Last edited by Green Lantern Ninja; 06-10-2011, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I noticed the articulation was weak to none of those and I figured it was so they could fit their vehicles - but if they can't do ANYTHING when they're out of the vehicle, what's the point? And, yeah, if the constructs are compatible across figures, then these should be built to be, too (for the most part). What a stupid waste. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenLanternFan5289 View Post

Has anyone spotted those "minis" figures yet?

Comment

• Only one I've seen is Hal/White Lantern Sinestro. None of the WM exclusive movie figures yet.
            In blackest day or brightest night,
            ...Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda yadda,
            Erm...superstitious and cowardly lot,
            With liberty and justice for all! - Duck Dodgers

Comment

• You know the Walmart exclusive 2-packs with the guardians?

I have seen the 2 packs with Hal Jordan, Thaal Sinestro, and Kilowog, but what are the other 3 two-packs?

Comment

• Originally posted by LanternJordan2814 View Post
                You know the Walmart exclusive 2-packs with the guardians?

I have seen the 2 packs with Hal Jordan, Thaal Sinestro, and Kilowog, but what are the other 3 two-packs?
                Abin Sur, Green Man and Tomar Re, don't know the Guardians yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muthasucka View Post
                  Abin Sur, Green Man and Tomar Re, don't know the Guardians yet.
                  Thank you.

Comment

• Has anyone seen the Hal and Martin Jordan 2-pack at K-Mart yet? And if so, how much did it cost?

Comment

• I think mine was $11.99 on sale when I bought it last week.

Comment

• A local walmart had the Abin Sur escape pod. The figure does not move but the escape pod is pretty cool and transforms into a robot.

Comment

• Originally posted by LanternJordan2814 View Post
                          Has anyone seen the Hal and Martin Jordan 2-pack at K-Mart yet? And if so, how much did it cost?
                          the MSRP is 14.99
                          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by gl2814h View Post
                            A local walmart had the Abin Sur escape pod. The figure does not move but the escape pod is pretty cool and transforms into a robot.
                            Cool! I didn't know they were making that. I will have to hunt for that one!

Comment

• Hey guys, start hitting up your Wal-Marts. I found singles of Zed, Hammer Jordan, and Tomar this weekend! I hit up two different stores around Boone NC, trying to find out if it was a fluke. Its not, their out. I couldn't get maskless Jordan or Max Charge Wog from the wave. Prolly sold them quick. Zed is awesome! He's got moveable fingers!
                              I have a complete CNC Arkillo that I would like to trade
                              for a complete CNC Stel. Please PM me if you're interested.

Comment

• They're also all at Amazon for those of you without easy Wal-Mart access.

Comment

Working...
                                X