X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Switch625 View Post
      It just seemed like the closest I could come to replicating the way it looks in the comics.
      yeah, but what and how did you do it!? Enquiring minds need to know

Comment

Originally posted by ricky_stream View Post
        yeah, but what and how did you do it!? Enquiring minds need to know
        Oh! Sorry, I misunderstood. I went to a crafts store and found a clear (they didn't have white), 7/16" button with a flat back and a raised edge on top. I also tried a 9/16" button of the same kind, but decided it was too big. Scale-wise, I think the button's a little too thick, but they cost $1 for 6 so it was pretty cheap if I ever want to try and find a thinner one. I gave it several coats of the same green paint I used for the figure and then printed out a GL symbol that was small enough to fit in the center. I don't have glossy paper or anything, so I have a trick of using clear packing tape and laying it over the symbol. Gives it a nice laminated look. I cut the symbol out as best I could and glued it to the button. I was concerned about glue ruining the paint job, so I used a nice dab of green paint on the figure's chest to "glue" the button to the figure. I doubt that's a very secure bond, but it's held just fine thus far.

Hope that helps!

One cool thing about how the paint job turned out, which I didn't plan at all - in dim lighting, you can't make out any of the sculpted details of the body in the black parts of the costume, kind of like in my signature.
        Switch625
        Sinestro's Sparring Partner
        Last edited by Switch625; 03-27-2010, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Here's my latest custom, the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. I know about the original version back in 1958 and I know about the "drugged-up Bruce" version that just recently showed up in Batman: R.I.P., but it wasn't until I saw the recent Batman: The Brave And The Bold episode with Kevin Conroy that I decided to do this custom. Since I'm not a sculptor, I did the best I could with the shoulder pieces. They're just pieces of poster board that I cut, painted and glued into place. Until I learn a better way to do it, or some way to hide the overlap, that will have to do. They hinder the shoulder articulation some, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Comment

Thanks

Nice work!!
            I Make my Own T-Shirts

Comment

Here are a couple of new, quick repaints that I recently did: Dr. Fate and Guardian. I really thought Fate's helmet should be gold, so I painted it and the medallion. I think it really looks nice and will be a good, silver age, contrast to "modern" Dr. Fate, whenever I get one. I also thought Guardian's look was a bit too simple and that the helmet and shield should be shiny. But I didn't want to go with the same gold I used for Captain Marvel and Dr. Fate, so I found a Metallic Inca Gold, which is more like a metallic yellow. You can't see it, but I also painted his belt. I think it turned out really nice.

Comment

That Dr.Fate is nice.

Comment

Nice work, but now I just have to add a Dr Fate to my custom list

Comment

wow those are amazing great work keep it up.

Comment

Here's my latest custom: Cyborg Superman.

This one took quite a journey. This is the figure from the Cyborg Superman/Mongul two-pack and this is how it originally looked:

I preferred the Cyborg Superman from DC Direct's Return Of Superman line, so I decided to put that one on display instead. I figured an inevitable Sinestro Corps repaint was quite a ways off, so I decided to repaint this figure and give him a version of the costume he had while he was a member of the Sinestro Corps:

Then Cyborg Superman was released in said Sinestro Corps costume as a part of DC Universe Classics' wave 11. I now had a problem on my hands. I was going to get the wave 11 release so I could complete Kilowog, so I was either going to put away or sell my custom figure. I also decided I would retire my DC Direct Cyborg Superman since it would be the only DC Direct figure left in my collection, once wave 13's Superboy and the inevitable CnC Doomsday comes out.

Rather than buy a new one on eBay, I decided to make good of a bad situation and strip down my custom Sinestro Corps Cyborg Superman and try to bring back the original paint job. That didn't work all too well, as in stripping the paint, I also stripped down some of the original paint job. So I made a project out of it.

I always thought the original DCSH/DCUC Cyborg Superman's colors were all wrong. The reds were more burgundy and that really bothered me. I also hate the DCSH style s-shield. It's too fat and not the "classic" s-shield I love so much. I wanted a Cyborg Superman as he appeared in the comics:

I completely repainted the figure with the proper red and blue and gave it a custom S-shield that has the red/burgundy fade of the comics (it's a subtle fade and the camera flash makes it hard to make out, but it is there). I also added a yellow shield to the capes of not only Cyborg Superman, but Steel and Eradicator as well.

With "Regeneration Suit" Superman, Steel, Superboy (DC Direct) and Eradicator:

I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Comment

Good shit man, great job!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Here's a quick teaser of my new custom project. It's a race to the White Power Battery and the winner becomes the White Lantern! I wonder who will get there first???

This project's actually been fighting me the whole way. The paint hasn't gone on as well as I'd hoped and my brushes started leaving little hairs all over the figure. And my first attempt turned the whole thing silver. We'll see how it turns out.

Comment

Here's the winner of that race: White Lantern Hal Jordan!

If I'd had another Sinestro, I probably would have done him first, but I don't. Even so, his Sinestro Corps/classic collar and boots have details that are not on his White Lantern uniform.

I'm sort of pleased with this one. I definitely got the look I wanted but it wasn't easy. First I primed the figure and battery with steel gray. Then I started to go over it with a metallic pearl white. I used a metallic green for my modern Hal Jordan repaint and so I wanted to stick with that look here. Unfortunately, the parts I painted then looked silver, so I decided I'd first paint the costume parts and the battery white.

Hal's White Lantern uniform is basically the same design as his Green Lantern uniform, except the green parts are now white and the black parts are now a silvery metallic white. The white paint fought me the whole way. I don't know if I got a bad bottle of paint or what, but I'm less than satisfied with it. Once I had the costume painted, I then went over the entire figure with the metallic pearl white. It made the gray parts silver and the white parts shiny white. I kept adding coats to make the silver more and more white since the uniform is essentially white on white. I also painted Hal's eyes silver to help distinguish them from the white mask.

Then I added final touch - the button badge like I did before. The pics don't really show it, but this sucker is SHINY! It's really got that heavenly glow that the White Lanterns seem to have. I'm not quite finished with it yet. There are still some minor details in the silver trim on the gloves and boots that I need to add, but this is pretty much it.

This is not my final White Lantern. I intend to follow this up with at least Superman, The Flash and Wonder Woman, whenever she gets an All-Star release.

Next up will be Hal Jordan, Hal Jordan, Hal Jordan, Hal Jordan and The Flash.
                              Switch625
                              Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                              Last edited by Switch625; 04-23-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Coolness!

Talon

LOD

Comment

Working...
                                X