Switch625's customs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Godmera View Post
    Another question on the silver paint, coverage. I've had problems with it covering well, I've had to use multiple coats or use a base under it (the light gray actually worked pretty well) how did you do it?
    The metallic FolkArt paint applies really thin so it take A LOT of coats. Sometimes I use a base coat, but for Abin Sur I did not. I just painted directly onto the figure. The trick is to keep working the paint once you brush it on. It isn't a "one and done" type of technique. I work the paint until the brush is dry and the paint I've applied is essentially one really thin layer. Then I keep patiently applying and eventually you start to get good coverage. I hope that helps.
    Switch625
    Sinestro's Sparring Partner
    Last edited by Switch625; 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I finally broke down and ordered J'onn off of Amazon last week. Fortunately I got one with two correct upper arms. The Martian Manhunter is a fantastic looking figure, only they didn't finish his cape. First I super glued the cape to the harness. Then I took two brads, snapped off the legs and glued them to the cape. Then I repainted the red rope and belt buckle and I think it turned out awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Switch625 View Post
        The metallic FolkArt paint applies really thin so it take A LOT of coats. Sometimes I use a base coat, but for Abin Sur I did not. I just painted directly onto the figure. The trick is to keep working the paint once you brush it on. It isn't a "one and done" type of technique. I work the paint until the brush is dry and the paint I've applied is essentially one really thin layer. Then I keep patiently applying and eventually you start to get good coverage. I hope that helps.
        Thanks that is what I figured, metallic and pearlized colors don't seem to cover well as regular colors.

Comment

Here's an easy custom that I've been wanting to do for awhile (even before recent events in the Green Lantern comics): Sinestro Corps Hal Jordan. Hal here has been slowly, but surely, working his way through all the new Corps lately and he's finally gone yellow.

It's nothing complicated, just a Hal Jordan head and hands on a Low/Maash body. The pegs in the hands had little pointed tips that I needed to cut off to get them to fit properly in the forearms of the body, but it was pretty easy. Matching the yellow in the mask to the yellow in the suit was a bit more problematic, but I got it done. There are some issues with the hands. They're clearly just flesh-colored gloves, but I can overlook that minute detail. Also, in the comics, Hal's wearing the ring on his left hand, not his right, but I don't have any spare left hands with rings, so I think I can live with this. I wonder what it is about the yellow rings and left hands? I didn't know left hands were the hands of fear.

Comment

Dude I want your Hal Jordan figures! Like Seriously I want them all. lol

Where did you get the Metallic paint?
            No Sir, I punched the viceroy in the stomach, then I headbutted him in the face. Sir.-Hal Jordan

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
              Dude I want your Hal Jordan figures! Like Seriously I want them all. lol

Where did you get the Metallic paint?
              It's the metallic line of FolkArt paints. You can find them at Walmart or any crafts store.

Comment

As everyone knows, there are three major problems with Green Lantern Classics Wave 1 Sinestro Corps Mongul: 1) scale, 2) lack of yellow rings and 3) that pink paint job. While there isn't much I can do about 1) or 2) right now, 3) was pretty easy to fix. While Mongul's appearance is not consistent during his stint as leader of the Mongul Corps, I went with what I thought was a good amalgam of his various looks. I blacked out his left eye, since he doesn't have it anymore, traded in the pink for purple, which helped a lot, and then also repainted all the blue and added some straps (painted rubber bands) around his upper arms and fists. I then added some gem things from the craft store to simulate his studded appearance. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Comment

Here he is, the Greatest Green Lantern... Sinestro!

He started out as a Black Lantern Abin Sur with Deadman's arms and Sinestro's head and hands. I compared the buck of BL Abin Sur and the Toys R Us Thaal Sinestro and the only difference is a slightly longer ab section. I don't like taking figures apart, so I decided to go with the slightly shorter BL Abin Sur buck. To me, the slight height difference was not worth the trouble of cracking Thaal open to swap out the crotch and legs. The green doesn't quite match the green of the DCUC Green Lantern, but I'm ok with that. For the first time I did some dry-brushing on the torso to bring out some of the details. I think it turned out ok. The mask was the most difficult part as my "tiny details" brush crapped out on me. I'm still not happy with how the eyes turned out and may try again with another Sinestro head I have. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Switch625
                  Last edited by Switch625; 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I love Sinestro in Green.. great work!

Comment

Got a pretty big post this time. I've finished up a few customs in the last month and thought I'd go ahead and post them all at once.

First up is G'Hu.

I needed this guy to complete Stel, but really have no use for any of the movie figures, so I decided to see if I could make him fit in with my DCUC Green Lantern Corps. The one good picture I could find of him showed a more humanoid physique with white gloves and boots. I don't know what it is about the color white but it's a royal pain to paint. I'm moderately pleased with the results. It could be better but this was a bit of an experiment, so I can't complain too much.

Next up is an easy one - Black Lantern Amon Sur.

Here he is with his Daddy, reunited in death. I really just repainted the gray parts of his suit silver and added some lines connecting the silver in the tunic to the silver on his thighs like in the comic. I also did some black dry-brushing to his head to bring out some of the deadness, just like I did for his father.

Next up is Blue Lantern Hal Jordan.

Since Mattel has given us so many Hal Jordans lately, I've decided to make full use of them by repainting him in the rainbow corps' colors. I've got White (custom, not the official release), Green (naturally) and Yellow complete, so it was Blue's turn. We never really get a good shot of Hal in a Blue Lantern uniform, so I had to improvise a little. I wanted this repaint to fit in with the DCUC figures, so I opted not to use a metallic blue. I'm relatively pleased with the results but I think I'm ready to take a break from painting Hals for awhile.

Last, and certainly not least, is one I've been wanting to do for quite awhile - Starfire.

I think everybody's in agreement that her uni-boob thing just wasn't working, especially in light of some of the more recent female figures that have been released in the DCUC line. What we have here is Cheetah's body with Starfire's head, arms and feet. I considered giving her heels, but every image I've seen has her wearing flats. This project became a bit more ambitious than I'm used to. Switching the feet was a total pain, but I got it done. I found a nice tangerine color for her new skin tone. It's a little on the bright side, but I always thought her original skin tone was a bit too dark. I'm not going to lie, I felt kind of weird, even borderline creepy, painting this figure because for awhile she was all orange and essentially naked. Repainting her facial features was tough, but I'm happy with the results. I went with a metallic purple for the suit and found a brad with red glitter in it at Hobby Lobby that worked perfectly for her belly jewel. I wanted her suit to be sexy, but not slutty and I think I accomplished that. I even went so far as to give her top a little more support with a strap around the back. While I was painting her up, her original collar piece fell on the floor where my dog promptly found it and chewed it up. Fortunately, I remembered I had an extra Sinestro's collar lying around and I got it to fit pretty well. It makes the head sit up a little higher, giving her a longer neck, which I think works out fine since she's an alien and all. The one thing she's missing is something I can't give her - a belly button. I'd still like to add some detailing to her boot tops, but I'm pretty burnt out right now and I'm ready for a break. I hope you like her as much as I do.

Comment

awesome stuff dude!

Comment

good looking!
                          I just wanna play.
                          I just wanna play a game.
                          One that you've never played before.
                          One you'll never play again I'm sure...

Comment

Nice stuff. Love what you did with G'hu

Comment

Love the Marvels....nice work!

Comment

Here's a quick and easy custom - rookie Green Lantern John Stewart.

I've always wanted Mattel to release this figure in DCUC - classic costume, mask and afro. Since it doesn't look very likely, I made one of my own. I took the GL 5 pack Stewart's head, placed it on the 5 pack Sinestro's body, painted the mask and filled in the hair. The slimmer Hal buck really makes John look a lot younger.

Switch625
                                Last edited by Switch625; 07-14-2011, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X