No announcement yet.

GLC: Rise of the Dark Lantern or RIP Sinestro [Rest in Pieces]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's sure nice to see Kyle out on his own without the Guardians or rest of the Corp around him.
    This "new" enemy seems to me like Oblivion 2.0 ... hope it doesn't end like Sentry/Void!!

can't wait for the new chapter!

Bring on CHAOS, bring on MY HAPPINESS, bring on rage ..Rage ..RAGE!!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y

Comment

Chapter 6

Dark Lantern Chapter 3: Fear of the Dark

“My name is Kyle Rayner. I’ve been in the superhero business for a few years now. I’ve been a Green Lantern with and without the ring the Guardian called Ganthet gave me all those years ago. I’ve absorbed the ring into me once again along with some of the Starheart energy that powers both Alan Scott and his daughter Jade. It transformed me into the Dark Lantern….” Kyle thought sitting in Radu’s coffee shop.

He took a drink of his coffee and sat it down. He had a newspaper sitting in front of him with a headline reading “Insomnia Sweeping the State.” In the reflection of Kyle’s coffee he saw what appeared to be Oblivion. A few moments later it was gone.

“It is good to have you back in city, Kyle.” said Radu coming to pour Kyle another round of coffee.

“It’s good to be back. I really missed this place.” Kyle replied as steam came from the top of his cup.

“Radu was my landlord when I first moved to New York a few years back. He knows I’m a superhero.” Kyle thought as Radu glanced down at the newspaper.

“Are you having the nightmares too, Kyle?” Radu asked.

“I’ve had them for awhile now. I just now read that this is apparently going on all around the region.” Kyle said taking a sip after pouring some sugar packets into the hot drink.

“It is like something is stealing the life away from people, like that movie about man in hat with the claws.” Radu said glancing out of the front window now.

“I doubt it’s somebody like that. This doesn’t feel right at all. I’ve had this sickness in my stomach for the last few days and the dreams are becoming more intense. Black Lanterns, Sinestro, Monsters…. Hell, I’m surprised I haven’t seen Krueger.” Kyle thought.

Later that night…..

Kyle looked at his bed from the bedroom door. He was still wearing his jeans and a white t-shirt and looked exhausted.

“I’ve scanned all of the east coast, visited areas with mystical origins, I even asked some of the other people in Radu’s about their own nightmares. One of the people at Radu’s was an old neighbor from when I lived in the building, Li. She said something that definitely put my guard up, something about a tall dark figure with horns and a cape.” Kyle thought as he began setting up a video camera.

“This might help me figure out what’s going on.” Kyle said finishing up and jumping onto the bed.

He stared at the ceiling for a few moments before shutting his eyes. He opened them and to his surprise he was still in his room. He sat up in bed before noticing several shadows in the room come together as one and then take a three dimensional shape. It was Oblivion, mostly hidden under his large cape, standing ominously with red eyes and large horns.

“Am I dreaming, is this real?” Kyle asked out loud before noticing the camera was on behind the behemoth.

“It is NOW.” replied Oblivion.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH” Kyle screamed as the monster attacked with some sort of psychic ability.

“You know I feed off of your negative emotions. It was only a matter of time before I would return. I am surprised it took this long.” Oblivion taunted looking at the surroundings and holding a picture of Kyle’s mother in his hand.

“What do you want, why are you causing the entire east coast to have nightmares?!?” Kyle asked as his eyes flickered green and his costume burned into existence.

“With all of the new Lanterns running around emotions are running more wildly than ever. The Starheart energy I’ve stolen from you helped me feed on millions. I don’t need you anymore to exist, Kyle….” Oblivion said removing his mask to reveal another Kyle underneath with a mean look in his eyes.

“I am going to BECOME you!” Oblivion screamed as the Dark Lantern lunged forward.

Suddenly Kyle was in a void. It looked like space, but this was a reality crafted by the imagination of Oblivion. He was back in his jeans and a white shirt. Another Kyle in a black t-shirt came up from behind and grabbed the real Kyle. The two fought hard, punching and kicking, going at it like a couple of professional fighters.

“I have all the darkness I need. Doesn’t matter how many people you’ve fed on, you’re going down!” screamed Kyle in the white shirt.

Back in the top floor apartment, Kyle was laying asleep in the floor in his white shirt. The battle went inside of his mind. The shirt slowly became black and Kyle sat up and opened his eyes. They were red in the iris and he had that evil looking smile on his face. He walked out to the balcony and took a deep breath and looked out at the water. The evil Kyle looked around and noticed Jasmine was on her balcony as well smoking a cigarette in short shorts and a spaghetti strap top. His smile grew….

Kyle’s mind….

The white shirted Kyle was alone now. In the middle of an empty city, he looked around not knowing what to think before his Dark Lantern costume melted onto him.

“Don’t hide from me, Oblivion. This can only end one way!” Kyle screamed walking door to door and looking in through windows for clues.

“Where are you, you bastard?!?” he screamed looking through another window with green energy flickering from his eyes.

A mental image came to him as he saw the black t-shirted Kyle in what appeared to be Jasmine’s apartment.

“No! I have to find Oblivion!” Kyle shouted running door to door now kicking them in.

Back in Jasmine’s apartment, the black shirted Kyle sat on the couch of the young woman. There was a red glow now in her eyes as well as she pranced around in gothic-looking lingerie showing off her tattoos.

“My name is Kyle Rayner…. And I can do ANYTHING I want!” thought the evil being with that smile and look on his face once again.

In his eyes the image of the Dark Lantern looking through a glass window from the outside was visible.

To be continued!

~KL~

Comment

HOLY SH!T THAT HAD ME AT THE EDGE OF MY SEAT KID

nicely done, always was a fan of Oblivion, good to see him back (in a way ) if it really is him that is

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Oh it's him all right. The one part of Circle of Fire that stuck with me was the scene where Kyle basically argued with himself. One was in a white shirt and the other in black.

Oblivion is somewhat like an entity at the moment. He's a sentient being now, but he wants the body of Kyle. He sees it as his true home since he came from the nightmares in Kyle's mind. But after brainstorming tonight where I'll take it from here.... LOL

If you think this one kept you on the edge wait till you see how the meeting of dark Kyle and Jasmine affects Kyle's life in the near future. Oh, and there's still an Alpha on it's way.... I meant to throw that into this chapter but it can wait one more.

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
            Oh it's him all right. The one part of Circle of Fire that stuck with me was the scene where Kyle basically argued with himself. One was in a white shirt and the other in black.

Oblivion is somewhat like an entity at the moment. He's a sentient being now, but he wants the body of Kyle. He sees it as his true home since he came from the nightmares in Kyle's mind. But after brainstorming tonight where I'll take it from here.... LOL

If you think this one kept you on the edge wait till you see how the meeting of dark Kyle and Jasmine affects Kyle's life in the near future. Oh, and there's still an Alpha on it's way.... I meant to throw that into this chapter but it can wait one more.

~KL~

1) so he's like Onslaught or Apocalypse now, cool

2) oh i already know how that's gonna end, with lots and lots of sex duh

IonFan says

Comment

Man... this was awesome , you're getting better with each one. It's weird, it doesn't look that scary written down but when I envisioned oblivion appearing i sorta scared myself . I like what you're doing here KL, everythings pretty good, the pacing , dialouge , the action. You create a good buildup to the next chapter too.

Can't wait till the next one

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
                1) so he's like Onslaught or Apocalypse now, cool

2) oh i already know how that's gonna end, with lots and lots of sex duh
                1.) IDK what they've done with Onslaught or Apocalypse, but from what I know of them you could say he's sorta like Onslaught. But that will also be dealt with as we see more and more of the secret origin of Oblivion. You think he's like Onslaught now, he won't be much longer.

2.) There will be a scene off panel. But it won't bring good things for the real Kyle Rayner afterwards. Against my own views on how comics should be aimed more at kids [with less ID Crisis type situations, cussing, and gore] .... this title will get dark for a few moments with Oblivion behind the wheel. But that's been the standard MO for most of the good stuff that DC puts out lately....

Originally posted by LanternJake View Post
                Man... this was awesome , you're getting better with each one. It's weird, it doesn't look that scary written down but when I envisioned oblivion appearing i sorta scared myself . I like what you're doing here KL, everythings pretty good, the pacing , dialouge , the action. You create a good buildup to the next chapter too.

Can't wait till the next one
                I'm glad you think so! I actually got some constructive criticism from a friend so I'm trying to step up and fine tune the process and make the best flowing story I can. I will admit though, I'm more of a character over plot driven story kinda guy so I'm a sucker for a good scene with more emotion.

Just to give you guys a tidbit to keep your interest up.... the next baddie is my first completely original villain. I read once that when Geoff was handed the Flash the original deal was for every two established rogues he used he had to create one original. Mine will be in the form of a man from the not so distant future who stumbles upon a device capable of going backwards in time. After coming back roughly 40 years the man grows young again and decides to make a life of crime with his newfound power to gain all the things he never had as REWIND. He can literally rob a bank with an unlimited amount of second chances with his power to move backwards in time. Ever see the movie Groundhog Day? LOL

~KL~

Comment

1) Apocalypse is more of a force of nature now a days and Onslaught is the real entity if you will, and from your story i'd like to think that Oblivion is like both of them combined

2) you already have me just put the sex in there already

IonFan says

Comment

Nicely Done TKL.

Hopefully Oblivion can get his own body "created" and then we'll get a great fight between Kyle and Oblivion

Comment

Oblivion will get his own body later on but the next chapter he's gonna take Kyle's out for a night on the town.... but AFTER he's done hanging out with Jasmine.

I let Ionfan read the 7th chapter to give me a little feedback and based on his response, I think you guys will enjoy the direction of the story. Prepare for a glimpse or two from Kyle past and some elements of the story that will have long lasting impacts on the future of the fanfic series.

I may go ahead and post the new chapter before I head into work in about an hour and a half....

~KL~

Comment

Chapter 7

Dark Lantern Chapter 4: Lip Gloss and Black

Kyle Rayner walked around in a woman’s apartment. His shirt was on the floor, there were scratch marks on his back. His eyes still glow red with pain, power, and control.

“I am Kyle Rayner now… and this body needs fluids.” the twisted artist thought.

After several moments of drinking beer and liquor left in the kitchen, the red eyed villain walked back into the girl’s living room and put his black shirt back on. The girl looked like she had been roughed up. A black eye and a busted lip graced her purple haired head as it lay on the couch. Her clothes were ripped. She began coming back to consciousness but her eyes were no longer red.

“Kyle….?” she muttered not knowing what had taken place as he walked out her door.

Kyle’s mind….

The Dark Lantern was tearing buildings apart now in the world crafted by Oblivion with large anime style robots. The city remained empty until Kyle noticed a young boy [about five or six] with black hair in a white t shirt in one of the buildings.

“What the hell?” the Dark Lantern commented with green energy spewing from his eyes as the constructs dissipated.

Kyle flew down to the boy and stopped the energy leaking from his eyes.

“Are you okay?” Kyle asked.

The boy didn’t hear the hero. He was focused on a demonic looking book. A black and evil looking book, like something out of a Wes Craven movie that was inside of a beaten up box, now had the attention of both the hero and the boy. The Dark Lantern gasped as the surroundings changed into the home of Maura Rayner. He watched in awe as the boy ignored his mother in the next room.

“Stay out of those old boxes, Kyle!” said the voice nearby.

The young boy reached toward the book that managed to sling itself open and flip through the pages in mid-air. The boy’s eyes turned red for a moment as he began speaking in tongues. After the trance was over the book fell back into the box and the boy’s eyes turned green again. Soon after the young Kyle passed out. The Dark Lantern was still speechless.

Back in the real world the red eyed Kyle stumbled up the sidewalk in Brooklyn.

“I need more sustenance. That place looks like it could serve a few more of those drinks like the girl had.” thought the evil Kyle as a wicked smile stretched across his face once more.

Minutes later….

The sloppy drunk Kyle gets thrown out of the bar. He stayed on the ground for several moments as people walked by around him. He got up, walked away mumbling something, and then the bar was engulfed in flames. He came up to a homeless man asking for change.

“Spare a little pocket change...” the man began to say before being punched out by the red eyed Kyle.

Sometime later the black shirted drunk found his way into a nude bar. His tongue hung out of his mouth like an animal, and his smiles were ever so wicked towards the women.

Even later on, Kyle was in a jail cell for detox after getting arrested and having no ID. He sat next to hardcore drug addicts, other drunks, and a couple drunken men who also looked homeless. His power was growing. You could see it in his eyes. Negative emotions were everywhere. Fear. Hate. Greed. Soon the eyes of all the inmates in the detox cell went red and the men grew violent. One inmate began to fight another and a riot ensued. The dark Kyle, Oblivion, remained calm and seated still sporting a large grin.

Back in the mind of Kyle Rayner, the Dark Lantern witnessed another moment in his life. A moment right after he got the ring. His girlfriend Alexandra DeWitt is stretched out on her couch, Kyle is sitting in a chair in shorts and a white t-shirt with a black leather jacket and a NIN shirt on the floor beside him. He sketched costume ideas on a piece of notebook paper.

“Some of these sketches look good, Kyle. More dynamic color breaks are always a plus, and I like the idea of your symbol being off center. Even if you don’t have one drawn out, I’m assuming that’s what the empty circle is representing in this one?” Alex asked handing one of the sketches back to Kyle.

“Yeah, I’m still trying to come up with something different. I just don’t know what yet….” he replied.

Time went on as he continued to draw various different ideas. Alex eventually fell asleep and long into the night Kyle could barely hold his eyes open enough to draw. There was a green symbol drawn large on one page, and another in black on another. About the time Kyle fell asleep at the wheel his head popped back up and the irises in his eyes turned red yet again. He grinned big and ripped the sketches in half and threw them up in the air. As his eyes turned back to green he fell back to sleep in an instant and his head fell on the chair arm. The pieces of paper fell in a way that half of the green symbol fell into place beside of the black one.

The Dark Lantern still watched in awe as he realized the monster Oblivion was inside of him for years and his surroundings changed once again into an empty void of space and stars. He witnessed several green constructs come together as one and begin to shape into something a little more human in appearance. A cape fell from the shoulders and horns sprouted out of the sides of the head. The creature faded to black from green and then it’s eyes turned red….

“First the book, then red eyes and crazy talk…. I don’t have to be Batman to figure out Oblivion must be some sort of demon!” Kyle said out loud in the void.

His Dark Lantern costume dissipated and he was back in a white shirt and jeans. The black shirted Kyle reappeared to taunt him.

“You think you have it all figured out now, don’t you?” the twisted Kyle asked floating around the real Kyle.

“I’m having too much fun in this body to give it up now, you can’t have it!” he screamed lunging once again at the real Kyle Rayner.
                        The Police Station….

The evil smile of Kyle was only the beginning. Guards finally opened the cell to try and regain control, but the inmates were too much.

“Stupid humans….” the evil one thought.

“You’ll have to do better than that!” he continued thinking as tear gas was thrown into the cell, but Oblivion atomized the spewing can and the guards were outnumbered.

Their eyes quickly turned red as well and they began beating the inmates without mercy. One officer pulled his gun and shot two before being taken down. Kyle grinned and stood up from where he was sitting. He only had to move his head once to avoid being hit on the way out of the cell and continued to walk out of the station unharmed. After walking for a few moments and ducking into an alley the creature fell to it’s knees.

“Noooooooooo!” he screamed as his eyes began burning green.

Kyle started vomiting, and it seemed the real Kyle was taking control of his body.

“Your name is Kyle Rayner. You are in control….” Oblivion thought for Kyle giving the human a false sense of security as the pool of vomit grew and a red flash came from Kyle's right eye.

To be continued!

~KL~

Comment

I missed chapter 6 so I got to read 6 and 7 back to back and I'm glad I did. Great work Kid I can't wait for more.

Comment

Good stuff ,had to reread last bit of the last chapter again to get into it but i think you did a good job.I like the Idea that you were sort of letting the evil kyle taunt the real one and this one's really wicked and twisted .Reminds me of parallax but more human.
                            It wasn't as good as the last chapter if i'm being honest simply because it was very ...contained in the sense there was no real action.
                            Action's not always necessary in a chapter like this but it felt like it was just filler until oblivion decides to take real action or kyle took action.There wasn't the same feeling of the last chapter teasing more and leaving you to want more.

I've had a couple of drinks...I'll read it again tomorrow and tell you my real thoughts.I thought it was a little quick to be up already tbh. take your time, no ones rushing you.

Comment

Yeah.... this chapter was more about Oblivion getting into some stuff in Kyle's body and Kyle finding out just where Oblivion came from in the deep levels of his psyche. More action when Oblivion is purged from Kyle's body in the next chapter.... plus there's still that run-in with an Alpha on the way. And Rewind!

Thanks for reading guys! Ionfan, anything else you wanna add about this chapter or should I just repost the IM you sent me? LOL

~KL~

Comment

Wondering if Oblivion will take a Yellow, Red and maybe Orange ring into his possession to become a DARL GUARDIAN himself!!

He seems to be ruling those emotions pretty easily....

Comment

Working...
                                X