No announcement yet.

The Kaiju thread (Godzilla and friends)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to see Kong again. I considered seeing it again today, but ran out of time washing and detailing my new truck and came home. I want to see it a second time to see how well the movie flows. I wasn't bored the first time at all and the two hours felt like they went by very quickly. Also, a chance to check out small details I may have missed the first time around.

Comment

• ^When I got home, I simultaneously wanted to watch the 2014 Godzilla, Platoon, and/or one of the Kong movies I haven't watched recently. But I haven't yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        So you guys liked it then!

Comment

• So, I watched Jackson's King Kong for only the second time (the first was the premier) the other night. And, yet again, I did start to nod off. This movie is just too damn long.

That said, I did find several bits impressive---it's a "pretty film" and Kong is probably his most apish here. The bit of him sliding on the ice in Central Park is fun. Actually, one of my favorite aspects of this movie is just recreating 1933 NYC including many sweeping wide angles.

This is funny considering my one little nitpick of Skull Island, but it pissed me off that the cabin boy (whom they established was not trained in weapons) could pick off the big bugs from Brody's body with a damn Tommy Gun while moving! There aren't a whole lot of guns worse for such precision work.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 04-23-2017, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              So, I watched Jackson's King Kong for only the second time (the first was the premier) the other night. And, yet again, I did start to nod off. This movie is just too damn long.

That said, I did find several bits impressive---it's a "pretty film" and Kong is probably his most apish here. The bit of him sliding on the ice in Central Park is fun. Actually, one of my favorite aspects of this movie is just recreating 1933 NYC including many sweeping wide angles.

This is funny considering my one little nitpick of Skull Island, but it pissed me off that the cabin boy (whom they established was not trained in weapons) could pick off the big bugs from Brody's body with a damn Tommy Gun while moving! There aren't a whole lot of guns worse for such precision work.
              Nodded off again?!? Old man! My pals like to give me crap because I'm always defending this movie, and the extended version of it. PJ's King Kong couldn't be long enough!

Comment

• As much flack as it gets (and in a lot of ways deserves), Jackson's Kong is actually worthy of a fair amount of praise. It even had a good tie-in video game, damn it.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Nodded off again?!? Old man! My pals like to give me crap because I'm always defending this movie, and the extended version of it. PJ's King Kong couldn't be long enough!
                  Oh come on, now you're taking the Mickey. Don't tell me you watch that stuff about her uncle or whoever sneezing and think "man, I can't get enough of this?"

I really did try to like it this time and there were bits (mentioned) below that I genuinely dug, but I'm still glad I got it for like $3. And if there's a longer version than what I watched I don't need it.

[Oh, I liked how they did the sexist dialogue from the original as the fictional movie they're filming in this.]

I much prefer De Laurentis' version to Jackson's. It's not as "pretty," but it's much better paced and I care more about the characters. It also feels less like bestiality. I won't bother to compare it to the original. That would be pointless.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                  As much flack as it gets (and in a lot of ways deserves), Jackson's Kong is actually worthy of a fair amount of praise. It even had a good tie-in video game, damn it.
                  That one James and Mike played? I need to track that down. It looked like fun. I probably avoided it at the time because I didn't like the movie.
                  Is there a tie-in for the current movie? KK seems like it has good potential for video games.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 05-04-2017, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Oh come on, now you're taking the Mickey. Don't tell me you watch that stuff about her uncle or whoever sneezing and think "man, I can't get enough of this?"
                    Man, they could have done a whole movie on that guy! I need to know what happened to him when he left NYC when the theater closed down!

Comment

That one James and Mike played? I need to track that down. It looked like fun. I probably avoided it at the time because I didn't like the movie.
                      Is there a tie-in for the current movie? KK seems like it has good potential for video games.
                      They haven't done a video game tie in for the new Skull Island movie. The PJ Kong tie in wasn't bad. Pretty much follows the movie plot. It's a 1st person which kind of irritates me as I much prefer 3rd. Okay game as far as movie tie ins go.

Comment

Man, they could have done a whole movie on that guy! I need to know what happened to him when he left NYC when the theater closed down!
                        He went back to Chicago and played a vaudeville act, but in the first show he was caught in the crossfire of a gangland hit. Damn beer war; taking our best professional sneezers.

Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 05-04-2017, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• G-Fan is reporting that Yoshimitsu Banno (director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah/aka Smog Monster) has died. I can't get a confirmation article, but he was a guy who dropped out of the spotlight and I trust G-Fan's Japanese sources. Guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

Comment

• Good BD/DVD release news. Kong: Skull Island is due next month and Shin Godzilla (yes, it includes a dub) the month after.

KONG: SKULL ISLAND Arrives on Ultra HD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital

Format: Ultra HD
                            Packaging Type: BD COMBO PACK O-Sleeve BD Case
                            Disc Configuration: BD 66, BD 50
                            Number of Discs: 2
                            Street Date: July 18, 2017
                            MSRP: $44.95

Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
                            Resolution: 2160p
                            Languages: Dolby Atmos English, Latin Spanish, Canadian French,
                            Brazilian Portuguese
                            Subtitles: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Canadian French,
                            Brazilian Portuguese

Special Features:
                            • Director’s Commentary
                            • Creating a King
                            o Realizing an Icon
                            o Summoning a God
                            • Monarch Files 2.0
                            • Tom Hiddleston: The Intrepid Traveler
                            • Through the Lens: Brie Larson’s Photography
                            • On Location: Vietnam
                            • Deleted Scenes
                            ================================================== =====

SHIN GODZILLA English Language Blu-ray/DVD Details and High-Res Artwork

Release Date: August 1, 2017
                            Rating: TV-14
                            Disc Configuration: BD 50 (Region 1|A), DVD9 (Region 1, NTSC)
                            Number of Discs: 2
                            Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (2.39:1)
                            Resolution: 1080p HD
                            Languages: Japanese Dolby TrueHD 3.1, English Dolby TrueHD 3.1, Japanese Dolby Digital 3.1, English Dolby Digital 3.1
                            Subtitles: English
                            Running Time: Main Feature 120 Minutes, Special Feature 34 Minutes
                            SRP: TBA

Special Features
                            • Theatrical Trailers
                            • Godzilla vs. the Nerds
                            • Funimation Previews

Comment

• I knew the street date for Kong, but thank you for posting the details of the bluray. Sounds like some good special features.

Comment

• I'm probably picking them both up day one. Ironically, Skull Island comes out the week I return from G-Fest in Chicago (which is featuring a talk on it and playing it at their theater).

Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-06-2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X