No announcement yet.

The Kaiju thread (Godzilla and friends)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't collect Godzilla stuff anymore, but I saw this and it's pretty awesome.

You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
      I don't collect Godzilla stuff anymore, but I saw this and it's pretty awesome.
      In G-Fan, Steve Agin reported that they haven't made many of any the new Shin Godzilla toys (large or small). I want to get one at G-Fest (leaving tonight), but they might all be out of my price range.

Comment

• Balderdash. You can get one for free if you do a "special favor" for the middle-aged man driving the unmarked white van at the edge of the parking lot.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• It's not unmarked. I put balloons all over it.

Comment

• Is there also a hand-made "FREE ICE CREAM" sign on just one side? It's not legit if there isn't.

Comment

• Get out of my head!

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                Balderdash. You can get one for free if you do a "special favor" for the middle-aged man driving the unmarked white van at the edge of the parking lot.
                You'll make a great parent one day.

Comment

• You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the usually mythic Mothra will fit in the Legendaryverse.

On the sad side, at GFest, Higuchi (co-director) revealed that Toho releasing Shin Godzilla last year was essentially a fluke, a hole in the release schedule. Now, Legendary's release schedule takes precedence and Toho can't make a real Godzilla movie until 2021.

Comment

• Depending on your point of view, Toho made a deal with the devil?

Monthra better come with the tiny twins.

This is kind of old news, but Rodan & Ghidorah were teased about a month ago.

+ YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                        Depending on your point of view, Toho made a deal with the devil?
                        Well, while I personally think only the Japanese "get" Godzilla, I don't mind Toho trying to make the American dollars and I'll be there first day for the next Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Kong. I just wish the American studios didn't consider it some kind of conflict. Realistically, Americans didn't really know or care about Shin Godzilla except those who are pretty much guaranteed to buy tickets to both anyway. I just don't think it would be a real conflict if they had released a theoretical Shin Godzilla 2 in 2019 (right between Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. King Kong).

A couple G-Fests back the guy who made the suits for the last Japanese Godzilla movies to use them mentioned that Final Wars (which I think was their most expensive budget ever) cost less than a tenth of Legendary's budget. He pointed out that if Toho could just do some kind of double-release deal with Legendary, they could make a suit-animated Godzilla for nominally more than they already are spending. If they did that, Legendary could slap their name on it and get an extra release that's guaranteed to get the Japanese market and die-hard fans here.

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                        Mothra better come with the tiny twins.
                        I sure hope so. I feel like Skull Island really laid the groundwork for a less real-world approach in the next movies. A world with a hollow center and skull crawlers is probably a world that can have a mythical Mothra and Ghidorah.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-28-2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Are they making Ghidorah more mythical? I don't think I'd mind them working that angle a bit, but I still like the idea of him being a space monster, especially with a history of murdering entire worlds.

Comment

• They haven't said anything about it. Mythical was a bad word to use. It's just that Legendary's Godzilla was very earth-based and "real-world" and it's hard to imagine how that will fit with the more mythological Mothra or the more science-fictiony Ghidorah.

Comment

• In the last 2 weeks, I've watched Skull Island 3 times. What a great movie. I know I said this before, but I'm glad we finally got a *different* story instead of the played out "kidnap Kong and bring him to NY" plot line that was beaten like a dead horse. Honestly, the only thing I see that's a bit awkward with the film is Tom Hiddleston...he doesn't really seem to be giving his role 100% effort and he looks uncomfortable as who he is supposed to be. Sam Jackson, on the other hand, is pure gold. His facial expressions alone make me believe the character's depth and motivation. And John Goodman was pretty cool, too.

Comment

• I think I agree with every part of that, most especially it being a fresh take instead of the ape-in-NYC angle.

Funny enough, I picked the BD up new but haven't gotten to it yet. I really wanted to, but I decided to prioritize some Netflix movies fist. I should be re-watching it this week.

And yeah, it's weird, but I usually like Tom Hiddleston and he was just off in this one. Maybe they were trying too hard with him being a super soldier and all.

Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 07-30-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X