Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    IF you ever get a chance, check out Corman's take on the Fantastic Four. It's free on Youtube and I am positive this is the point where Comic fans worldwide started "shipping" Richards and Doom. LOL
    Watching now, and good lord is it low-brow.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• AVP:R

Ms. Yutani: "The world isn't ready for this technology."
      Col. Stevens: "But this isn't for our world, is it, Ms. Yutani?"

If the first AVP film was the shiny, polished PC child, then Requiem serves as its bigger, uglier, done-jail-time brother. The Sound of Music it ain't.

Being the lowest on the totem pole of either the Aliens and/or Predator franchise, this film got seriously ditched by critics and audiences alike for so many reasons that I won't bother going into detail, so I will tell you what I didn't personally like: The film was too friggin' dark. And by dark I mean BLACK. There were many a scene where I honestly didn't know what was going on because I'm squinting my eyes trying to make out minute detail that would clue me in, but it just wasn't there. Also, said blacked-out scenes were displayed way too fast (y'all film makers gotta take your time with us older folk) that it just wasn't worth the effort of trying to distinguish what the hell was going on. Lastly, there was one scene involving pregnant woman that I felt hit way below the belt. It was just kind of seriously sick.

Both the Alien and Predator franchises flirt on that line sci-fi and horror; none of the films belong solely in one camp; however, R has its roots mostly in gore and blood. And this is exactly what franchise-specific fans wanted from the first AVP, so they got what they asked for. In all this huge bloodbath of a title match, we got a few gems, such as a new hybrid, a glance at the Predator home world, and a Predator that didn't go by the morality rules of Friday the 13th. No one was spared except for the few that survived, and it was only their intelligence and pure luck that ensured their survival. In that vein, we see a kid get a chestburster, some really graphic kill scenes, and a total lack of empathy for a town that was utterly removed from the planet.

Aside from my grievances aforementioned, I did like this film, and usually watch it once a year. It is a direct continuation of its predecessor, and gives you the ultimate rush in adrenaline if you like the franchises as much as I do.

Comment

• It is too dark (in lighting), but my biggest gripe is that I think the hybrid is ugly and stupid looking.

Predator world is pretty cool. I also liked that it is in the great northwest, a part of the country I'm fascinated by (the Redwoods are great scenery). I also like that they had the cajones to kill a kid (it's always a reach when adolescents miraculously survivor a monster slaughter).

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
          I also liked that it is in the great northwest, a part of the country I'm fascinated by (the Redwoods are great scenery). I also like that they had the cajones to kill a kid (it's always a reach when adolescents miraculously survivor a monster slaughter).
          Now that you mention it, yeah, the woodlands were beautiful. I like them, also, and try to take regular walks on the protected forest that abuts our land at least once a year.

RE: the kid: only acceptable if he had already lost his innocence, which was never established, but looked like he still had his IMO. Good kids live, Bad kids get the machete.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
            RE: the kid: only acceptable if he had already lost his innocence, which was never established, but looked like he still had his IMO. Good kids live, Bad kids get the machete.
            The old Puritan slasher rules, eh? No wonder The Exorcist bothers you so much.

Comment

• Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)

"Life's a joke, then you croak."

Another 80s slasher I missed until now. This one was awesome. I'm pretty sure I like it a lot more than #1 (despite Curtis' role in that), but that's okay because it's a name-only sequel. This is actually about a 1957 slutty prom queen who dies in a prank gone bad and comes back to possess the current students of Hamilton High three decades later.

There's a bunch of references to horror themes and names. There's also some really cool dream sequences and supernatural stuff that would have fit in a NoES movie, including drowning in a blackboard and a spooky rocking horse that comes alive.

Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 04-15-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• All you horror fans have got to see Unfriended!!

and It Follows as well!

Comment

• I've heard multiple good things about It Follows. I just might have to see that while it's still in theater. I so rarely go compared to what I used to, but I Netflix everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    I've heard multiple good things about It Follows. I just might have to see that while it's still in theater. I so rarely go compared to what I used to, but I Netflix everything.
                    It Follows is one of the best horror flicks I've seen in years and Unfriended is pretty good too

Comment

• I saw It Follows in the theater. I really enjoyed it. My wife did not. She thought it was lame and I thought it was really effective at building tension and creating a sense of dread and impending doom. And it felt like a great metaphor for sexually transmitted diseases. In a way that the F13 films used sins of youth, but not campy and much more adult about it. It's very much there that the subtext is about the fear of diseases, but they don't do it in a way that the audience is in on the joke like other franchises do.

My only problem with it is it felt like they didn't know how to wrap the movie up and give it a proper ending. After the sequence that is inarguably the climax of the film, the movie kind of meanders and goes on for a few more scenes and gives you the what seems like the best thing they could come up with. I feel like if the last several minutes of the film were redone this movie would be a classic.

Still, I'd highly recommend seeing this, either in the theater or renting it.

Comment

• watched jason takes manhattan yesterday............ i only saw it once as a kid and yea its fucking horrible
                        .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                          watched jason takes manhattan yesterday............ i only saw it once as a kid and yea its fucking horrible
                          Gotta admit though, the boxing match was hella cool.

Comment

Gotta admit though, the boxing match was hella cool.
                            you know the whole boat idea wasnt bad but jason in nyc is what messed it up for me .

for some fucked up reason i had this image where jason throws the leo charachter from titanic overboard after slicing him up.....

i refuse to watch jason goes to hell because it sucks beyond belief. i have a good memory on how terrible that was
                            TazzMission
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by TazzMission; 04-22-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• I really liked JGTH because the opening scene in itself was worth the price of admission alone. Actually the only thing that bothered me about the movie was that it needed more Jason.

The NYC concept was good for a laugh, but since most of the movie was about the boat trip, that's what made it suck for me, but I like all the F13 movies anyways. Except for the first one.

Comment

I really liked JGTH because the opening scene in itself was worth the price of admission alone. Actually the only thing that bothered me about the movie was that it needed more Jason.

The NYC concept was good for a laugh, but since most of the movie was about the boat trip, that's what made it suck for me, but I like all the F13 movies anyways. Except for the first one.
                                really? i thought the boat part was the only good thing of the film.

now i will agree the opening to jgh was good but after that guh trash beyond belief.

they could have done so much more with the whole sister voorhees thing and i felt that was a wasted oppertunity

Comment

Working...
                                X