X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Perfect Getaway (2009)

"Nothing bad ever happens in Hawaii, right?"

I figured the mystery out but admittedly only about 10 minutes before the reveal. I think they misled too much (to the point where I went back to see if a previous scene worked with that reveal and I think it's a stretch), but it was still pretty good and tense.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

"Something stinks in suburbia."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    Haven't seen Axe Murderer since I was a kid. Guess that's another one I'll have to revisit.
    Objectively, it's probably not a great one but it has a certain charm for me. It gets extra points for the San Francisco setting and Scottish jokes.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 08-01-2018, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Batman Harley Quinn - This effort felt like a movie-long commercial to endear you to the Harley character and buy her merchandise, but for me, it did the opposite. More than anything, Harley came off as annoying and a caricature of her original animated version and the forced comedic skits and musical numbers didn't help. I don't need cheap sex, dick and fart jokes in my animated Batman movies. In addition, the animation was sloppy in spots and the ending was stupid.

This was a poor effort on Timm's part. Good thing I only paid $6 for it during Black Friday.

Comment

• (Rifftrax) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982/2011)

"These guys should really keep better track of where they keep their evil dictators."

St. Vincent (2014)

"Yes, you get the idea. We celebrate all the religions of the world in this room, Oliver. I'm a Catholic, which is the best of all the religions, really, because we have the most rules. And the best clothes. But among us, there is also a Buddhist, agnostic, we have a Baptist, and we have a 'I don't know,' which seems to be the fastest growing religion in the world."

Very good. It's nice that the characters start and end flawed even as good things happen.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 09-11-2018, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Plotwise it's probably a bit confusing, but I don't go to these films for integral plots, I go to them for the action, and this one delivers. It's very entertaining from start to finish, and to see Cruise in his 50's still doing his own stunts is just amazing. Dude's a real pro. The few fights in this film in particular are quite excellent, and terrifically choreography, as well.

Comment

• Kill Me Three Times (2014)

"I don't die, I thrive."

A decent (not superb) black comedy about overlapping plots of insurance fraud and hired revenge killing.

Into the Grizzly Maze (2015)

"This one's smarter than the average bear."

I've seen better and worse man vs. nature flicks. The worst part is how many of these supposedly experienced woodspeople make basic mistakes.

Cup of My Blood (2005)

"Is it safe?"

Anguish (1987)

"What are you looking at with those little eyes?"

A pretty strange, but pretty good meta-fictional horror. Recommended for people looking for different kind of 80s horror.

Hang 'em High (1968)

"When you hang a man, you better look at him."

Another good flick turns 50. Actually, I used to find this one somewhat on the boring side of Eastwood (probably compared to the more intense spaghetti westerns), but it has a good cast and story. There are also a couple plot elements I like but forgot were from this western specifically (the desert crossing and the lady who examines prisoners for her husband's murderers).
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2018, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• Ip Man 3 - I swear, the more IP Man movies they make, the worse they get. Tyson's role in this is just... random and misplaced just to get a cheap appearance out of him, and even worse, they dubbed over his voice, which is comical! The martial arts sparring was decent and Yen was good as always, but the story was all over the place.

Comment

• Fright Night (1985)

"What could be more important than my autograph?"

Baskin (2015)

"Hell is not a place you go to. You carry Hell with you at all times. You carry it inside you."

A pretty good, but surreal Turkish horror.

The Seven Vampires (1986)

"There's nothing you can do for me; thank you for your interest, anyway."

A mediocre Brazilian horror comedy. Ivan Cardoso's work (this is the third film of his I've seen) is hard to describe. He outright steals things (this, for instance, uses a Hitchcock clip and Psycho music and I feel like they probably didn't pay for it). Apparently, the title/concept came after a pop song of the same name, which probably accounts for the lack of seven actual vampires.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

"Don't call me 'Tiny.'"

Still in a Trek mode. Not sure if I'll watch any more of the movies, but I think of 2 & 3 like one story (even though there's a tonal shift and quality drop), which moved to followup the riffed WoK with this (they haven't done a riff yet). There's actually a lot I like in this movie, unfortunately 95% of it is in first half.

Suburbicon (2017)

"Yeah, you been in this business as long as I have, you develop a nose for hanky panky."

Has the Coen brothers feel (due to them co-writing it) but without the full payoff. Not as bad as some people seem to think, but certainly not up to the level of Clooney's dramas.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2018, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• Somehow I wish Christopher Robin would have done better. Kids not appreciating something like Winnie the Pooh is exactly part of the problem of today's youth if you ask me.
                  Mister.Weirdo
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 08-29-2018, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                    Somehow I wish Christopher Robin would have done better. Kids not appreciating something like Winnie the Pooh is exactly part of the problem of today's youth if you ask me.
                    Have you seen it? Is it as good as the books? I agree it would be a shame if kids can’t appreciate Winnie the Pooh, but I’d only take this film’s performance as evidence of that if it was actually faithful to the source material. I really want it to be, but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.

Comment

• Dark Angel [aka I Come in Peace] (1990)

"I'm a team player.
                      -Well, your team sucks."

Dolph Lundgren plays a no-nonsense cop who ends up on the trail of an alien who ODs random people to steal their endorphins to sell on the intergalactic black market. A fed and a space cop join him along the way.

The Scarlet Scorpion (1990)

"This angel is a devil."

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

"When should I call her?
                      -You like her?
                      Yeah
                      -Yeah, you definitely don't want to call her.
                      When is the next Olympics?"

I guess I hadn't seen this because raunchy comedies are often more annoying than funny, but this one (while still raunchy) was funny and the characters kind of charming.

Being Flynn (2012)

"I'm doing the same thing here as you are, gathering material.
                      -No, I'm not gathering material. This is my life.
                      Life is gathering material."

Rifftrax: 300 (2006/7)

"The slowmostrians are coming!"
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Christopher Robin - It's a very nice film. It's nothing groundbreaking, and won't but for a kids / family film I really enjoyed it, and even got quite teary-eyed. Plus I find it impossible to hate Winnie The Pooh - 7.5 / 10

Comment

• We'll probably see it when it comes to the bargain theater. We're big fans of the Winnie-the-Pooh books (and to a lesser extent the older animated films). Eeyore is our favorite, I think. I love how he's so pessimistic, but generally not bitter about it. He expects the worst, and accepts it so matter-of-factly.

Comment

• 976-EVIL 2 (1991)

"Help me, Zuzu!"

Better than I expected. Actually, most of it was middle-ground horror sequel but the director and/or was clearly a horror fan and film buff. The best bit is a ghost kill that mixes It's a Wonderful Life and Night of the Living Dead. One scene made it clear that they were Sam Raimi fans and another came close (between the set-up and the music) to ripping off Terminator 2.

Commando (1985)

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast."

Bizarrely, I was planning to watch this last night already (even e-mailed a friend about it) when Cinemassacre chose that day to do a retro video review of it. I wanted to see it again (even though I'm real familiar with it) because I want to watch the Russian knock-off of it, which won't have subtitles. Speaking of which . . .

Den D [D Day] (2008)

"Schwarz would have jumped."

Despite that quote (which I got from a review), I couldn't find a subbed (let alone a dubbed) version of this knock-off, but since it was so close, I feel like I got most of it and it was fun. Dave would like the motivation: the director/actor was tired of what he called modern cinema's reliance on metrosexual heroes and decided the answer lay in the more manly men of Schwarzenegger movies. Of course, he did this all without permission (which I suppose is equally ballsy), which is why I don't expect to ever see an American release.

Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

"Nothing happens by chance."

Of Unknown Origin (1983)

"Keep it up. Just keep it up. I've got friends in Jersey."

I liked this one because it wasn't overblown. It's just about a corporate type who happens to be pressured to do a big project for a promotion while his wife and kid are gone when a very large rat moves in. It's unusually big (and a bit unrealistic), but not mutated or alien or anything. It's basically just a man vs. nature story.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                            Christopher Robin - It's a very nice film. It's nothing groundbreaking, and won't but for a kids / family film I really enjoyed it, and even got quite teary-eyed. Plus I find it impossible to hate Winnie The Pooh - 7.5 / 10
                            Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                            We'll probably see it when it comes to the bargain theater. We're big fans of the Winnie-the-Pooh books (and to a lesser extent the older animated films). Eeyore is our favorite, I think. I love how he's so pessimistic, but generally not bitter about it. He expects the worst, and accepts it so matter-of-factly.
                            Apparently, the Chinese censors finds it easy to hate Pooh: New Winnie The Pooh Film Denied Release In China for An Allegedly Dark Reason
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Heh. Anything Pooh related gets scrubbed because the leader is sensitive about protesters saying he looks like Pooh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                We'll probably see it when it comes to the bargain theater. We're big fans of the Winnie-the-Pooh books (and to a lesser extent the older animated films). Eeyore is our favorite, I think. I love how he's so pessimistic, but generally not bitter about it. He expects the worst, and accepts it so matter-of-factly.
                                Eeyore is great. His upside down negative attitude always got a laugh out of me as a kid.

I will say that it's hard for me to appreciate the new voices as much, like for Piglet and Rabbit. They hired British actors (British character of course, but still), and they just stick to their native tongues. It just took me a while to get used to Piglet not sounding the same as usual. Brad Garrett was perfect casting as Eeyore, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X