X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Creature (2006)

"I would wear a mask if I were you."

New Zealand alternate-history vampire movie, where in a kind of steampunk 1960s vampires are religious leaders, but don't prey on people, except one, who starts a plague. It's weird how many pandemic-type references I've come across accidentally in my entertainment during lockdown.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    Mortal Kombat (1995)

"I wonder what the bathroom looks like.

I should've saved this for the 25th anniversary coming up in July, but I'll be away and I always get in the mood to re-watch the movies when I'm into playing an MK game (as with #11 now)...
    So, when I posted this Monday was the planned day to return from GFest in Chicago. Since that didn't happen, I figured I'd 'celebrate' the anniversary anyway (despite it only being 6 months).

Comment

• It's sad/funny to see how Dougray Scott's career has tanked since he made the decision to play a villain in a Tom Cruise movie instead of Wolverine in the first X-Men film.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Grizzly (1976)

"But there's something I'm not doing!
        -Sure, you're not killing the bear."

Love this movie. How can you not respect a PG movie where a little kid gets his leg taken off by a bear? And the next night, I Tubied it with riffs.

[Rifftrax:] Grizzly (1976/2017)

"That sounded like her arm hitting the ground."

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
        It's sad/funny to see how Dougray Scott's career has tanked since he made the decision to play a villain in a Tom Cruise movie instead of Wolverine in the first X-Men film.
        I never heard that. I like him and he does seem underrated.

Comment

• Claws has a better opening credits sequence than Grizzly, but Grizzly is to me the superior film (insofar as ripping off Jaws allows for any degree of genuine quality).
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

"Don't you ever say anything encouraging?
            -I encourage you not to die."

Redeemer (2015)

"Cowboy up."

Chilean revenge flick. Not sure how it got in my Netflix queue, but it was alright.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Claws has a better opening credits sequence than Grizzly, but Grizzly is to me the superior film (insofar as ripping off Jaws allows for any degree of genuine quality).
            I don't remember Claws well, but do recall liking Grizzly more.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• A great follow up, even though the adaptation begins showing some flaws.

Comment

• Clueless (1995)

"I want to do something for humanity.
                -How about sterilization?"

Turned 25 today. Forgot how funny it was.

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                [Rurouni Kenshin]
                Easily the best live action adaptation of an anime/manga to date.
                Plus it's just a generally fantastic samurai film, to boot.
                Today I happened to watch a Youtube video where a real katana master evaluated movie (and one TV) samurai fights and he covered that film too.

+ YouTube Video
                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 07-18-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Sherlock Holmes: Terror by Night (1946)

"Teapots!"

A valuable diamond is targeted by thieves, and the owner's son employs the Great Detective to protect the jewel, but things get dark when the son is murdered and the jewel stolen.

Reminds me of Murder on the Orient Express. I was watching this a while back on my phone but never got very far, and decided instead of a horror film that my dad and I would see this, and one YouTuber uploaded a colorized version which wasn't too shabby.

Stock footage was a little meh, some of the model train shoots were actually good though. Other than the absurd shouting match between Watson and the math professor, I found the film pretty enjoyable (okay, the shouting match put Watson on the hot seat which I was a little glad to see, he's full of himself in this series, but again that's just bad writing).

One character vaguely resembled William H. Macy, and the murder tool is actually fairly clever.
                  Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Arachnophobia (1990)

"Would anyone object if I tore this floor out?
                    -I would.
                    False alarm then. Lead on."

30th anniversary. Really enjoy this one. Goodman is great here.

Comment

• Fantastic finale to the trilogy. It probably could've been longer, but hey, it's not like there wasn't a 95 episode anime with 3 OVAs and a movie already.

I heard they were planning to do a prequel, tackling the revolution in line with the Trust & Betrayal OVA, but I don't know if that's every going to happen. I'd personally like to see them do it alongside the Reflection OVA, as the two stories are so tied together, that you could functionally tell the former via flashback to the latter. But whatever we eventually get should be good, regardless.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Today I happened to watch a Youtube video where a real katana master evaluated movie (and one TV) samurai fights and he covered that film too.

+ YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                      Neat.
                      Parrylakks
                      Neko Samurai
                      Last edited by Parrylakks; 07-19-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

"Some things, you can't control."
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Oh, snap! I just looked it up out of curiosity, and that Kenshin prequel/sequel is actually happening. Well, not happening, it's done. It was due out this year, but was pushed to next due to the pandemic, but still, it's way further along than I thought, lol. And surprise surprise, it seems they ARE doing exactly what I mentioned, telling the Reflection story with the Trust & Betrayal story in flashback. And it's going to be two films, like the Kyoto arc was (movies 2 & 3). That's stellar! I'm actually super excited about that now.

Comment

• Slow West (2015)

"All I'm saying is there's more to life than just surviving.
                            -Yeah. There's dying."

Feel conflicted on this one. 90%+ it was an excellent revisionist western with sometimes very poetic dialogue; but a couple bits (one slap-in-the-face bit of symbolism in particular) were annoyingly heavy handed.

[Rifftrax:] Feeders (1996/2019)

"There's no way this movie wasn't made on a dare."
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 07-22-2020, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• Absolutely brutal anime, yet packed with emotion.

After enjoying the movies so much during my first ever rewatch of them recently, I've decided to go back and rewatch all the Kenshin anime stuff, too. It's been a really long time since I've done so -- easily over a decade -- so it should be fun.

Comment

• Mississippi Grind (2015)

"The journey is the destination."

A down-on-his-luck compulsive gambler meets a drifter he takes to be his lucky charm and convinces him to stake him on a road trip to earn a major poker buy in. Liked it.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

"What did you do to the droid?
                                -What did you do to the Falcon?
                                The Falcon is in a lot better shape than he is.
                                -BB-8 is not on fire.
                                What's left of him isn't on fire."

From word of mouth, I was expecting this to be the worst of the sequels, but my family and I felt pretty much the same indifference (actually I might've been more annoyed by the middle one--forget the title and much of the plot now) as with all the sequels and spin-offs. I won't swear it, but this is my intended break off point. I don't even care enough to see new Star Wars for free (or one mail Netflix slot as the case would be).
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 07-25-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X