Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is absolutely my favorite Christmas movie about incestuous neo-Nazis attempting to create a world-dominating race of mutant elves only to be opposed by an ex-detective store Santa.
    I'll take "Words I Never Thought I'd Hear" for $1000, Alex.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Elf (2003)

"Not now Arctic Puffin!"

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

"On Dasher, on Dancer on... the other ones?
      -Firebolt? No... that's Harry Potter's broom.
      Oh no. We can't hang out anymore. You're too sad. You've hit like, peak sad."

Didn't love this as much as I thought I would considering it's a Scottish Christmas musical set during the zombie apocalypse (the music all sounded modern and alike), but it was definitely worth the watch and I will probably re-watch it on a future Christmas.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

"Can you float through the air when you smell a delicious pie?"

Did really like this as I heard I probably would. It was much more the side characters than Morales (though that story was fine too) that grabbed me. Particularly loved Peni Parker to the point where I Googled her to see if there was a trade from which I could learn more, but it sounds like the Japanese/anime influence is more from this movie than the comics. Marvel fans, correct me if wrong.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

"I know it is a little early for Christmas, Edward, but; I have a present for you."

30th anniversary. It had been quite a while for me, but I recently picked it up on BD and waited when I saw the anniversary was coming up.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-24-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• MST3K: Lost Continent (1951)

"Oh. We're in Hell. Neato."

The USAF loses a rocket during testing and sends Cesar Romero (in a pre-Joker role) to search for it, but he and his companions end up stranded on a remote island where they must climb the forbidden mountain to recover the rocket.

I'm gonna be honest, I swear I've seen this before, because a lot of it seems really familiar. Maybe it recycles footage from The Lost World, because I have seen barely any Joel episodes (I started watching after the film when they relaunched the series with Pearl as the villain).

My dad said he started watching this and quit because it was so goddamn boring, and he was right, it was pretty bad (arguably as bad as The Snow Creature, and that didn't have jokes to lighten the load).

But seeing this makes me want to get a copy of the old version of The Lost World, which I used to watch all the time on VHS as a kid.

Comment

• Santa Claus (1959)

"No, you know stealing is evil, and I don't want to be evil."

[Rifftrax Live] Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (1972/2016)

"Cheer is what predicaments are all about."

A Christmas Carol (1999)

"Poke it, sir."

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

"You know what Santa does on Christmas Eve, don't ya?"

Usually watch this (my favorite Christmas horror) on Christmas Eve, but since I added #2 to the list, figured I'd watch them in order and spaced out.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-24-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Wonder woman 84. It was Richard donner cheesey but i enjoyed it. I wish it was more fantasy . Cheetah was good max lord was eh kind of woman they stuck with only cheetah. Theres a post credit scene . The movie is long but overall i say its a 7.5. I still think the first one was the best. I just love gal gadot in this role.
            .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

• Batman Returns (1992)

"Life's a bi**h, now so am I."

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

"Haven't you heard of peace on earth and goodwill toward men?
              -No!"

Although I watch a slew of Christmas movies and specials every year, for the last few years I have also focused on a particular subject (2017 was Rankin/Bass; 2018 was the Silent Night, Deadly Night Series; and 2019 was MST3K/Rifftrax). So, this year, since I was already watching Scissorhands for the anniversary, I decided to watch Burton's Christmas 'trilogy' (and, yes, I know he didn't actually direct TNBC). [And, yeah, I technically watched more Rifftrax and more Dickens this year than Burton, but since he only did the three, it was exhaustive.]

Scrooge (1951)

"We Spirits of Christmas do not live only one day of our year. We live the whole three-hundred and sixty-five. So is it true of the Child born in Bethlehem. He does not live in men's hearts one day of the year, but in all days of the year."

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (1987)

"This movie's so bogus. It really is."

Comment

• I really should get around to checking out the Sim version of Carol; I've seen people aside from you recommend it on other sites and I know I've never seen it before.

Anyway, checked out my newest Blu-ray at my dad's last night:

Deathstroke: Knights and Dragons (2020)

"And so the Knight rode on, into legend, into lore."

Slade Wilson moonlights as a professional killer while his wife and son think he's an honest man, but a terrorist organization kidnaps his boy to force him to work for them. After barely saving his child, Wilson leaves his family but the villains return for a second attempt years later.

Honestly, this was fairly well done for something cramming a ton of material into 80-odd minutes. We have Slade's own military history, his marriage and son Joseph, HIVE trying to recruit him, his work as a mercenary, his affair and daughter Rose, and whatnot, all contained within a sub-90-minute run time. That's a lot to cover in less than two hours, or even less than two full-length films.

Slade himself is good as a father (this doesn't even touch the whole Teen Titans element, only villains in this film). He does care about his family and him reading to Joseph is touching (I kind of wish that book they read together was real, because it's actually got appeal). He does feel guilty for his family being dragged into his murderous alter life but completely screws up dealing with it and only compounding the issues, which the comic version is notorious for. On the other hand, as Deathstroke, he's a mixture of unstoppable super-assassin with incredible talent and Deadpool, where he tanks hits that frankly he wouldn't take if he didn't have to in the comics; I'm not sure that's for the best but I'm also unsure it's for the worst, so I'll just say I would personally have portrayed him a little differently but that his portrayal here isn't exactly bad.

The villains, mostly the Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination, provide the standard service but their overall plot is actually fairly good, and the amount of scheming and backstabbing that goes on is exactly what you'd expect from a villain-focused story. I think the only real criticism I had was Lady Shiva being included, not because I don't like her character, but because she is extremely dangerous in the comics and her portrayal here is much less threatening; I don't know enough second-string assassins to recommend a replacement but I don't think Shiva should have been used because it diminishes her to build up Slade and Company.

Wintergreen is still English but less White Guy Alfred and more English Morgan Freeman Lucius Fox as Alfred. He's enjoyable but you know he's a nod to another person.

The real surprise was actually the bonus feature exploring the character, as it includes interviews with Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Manu Bennet, Michael Chiklis (who did Slade's voice in this film, to my pleasant surprise), and maybe a couple others. Goes into some interesting detail about how Perez and Wolfman created Deathstroke and fascinating notes about him questioning himself and his motivations for doing things. Honestly was a rather good mini-doc. It even has me wanting to watch Arrow to see Manu's full time as the character.

Overall this is a solid entry in the DC Animated Movie lineup, and I have to recommend it for anyone curious in the character. Not perfect but quite respectable.

Comment

• [Rifftrax:] Lycan Colony (2006/2020)

"Didn't have the budget to break a real piece of glass."

This movie was so bad and the riff so funny.

Jersey Boys (2014)

"I'm from wherever I happen to be."

The Toxic Avenger (1984)

"And you can tell all your scum friends that things are gonna change in this town. I'm not just another pretty face."

It's a Wonderful Life (1947)

"No man is poor who has friends."

Comment

• Finished cobra kai season 3. Fantastic. Now to knock out the final season of sabrina than finish the expanse

Comment

• The Godfather (1972)

"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."

The Godfather Part II (1974)

"If history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone."

The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (1990/2020)

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."

My family and I all seemed to agree this is a better (though not radically different) cut of the third film.

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                      Finished cobra kai season 3. Fantastic. Now to knock out the final season of sabrina than finish the expanse
                      Well, neither of those are films, but at least they allow me a spot to post some more movies.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 01-04-2021, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        The Godfather (1972)

"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."

The Godfather Part II (1974)

"If history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone."

Well, neither of those are films, but at least they allow me a spot to post some more movies.
                        Imo they should merge tv and film into one thread.

Comment

• The Way of the Dragon (1972)

"In this world of guns and knives, wherever Tang Lung may go to, he will always travel on his own."

Daggers 8 (1980)

"I've still got a few more. Should I take my pants off as well?
                          -No need."

Occupation (2018)

"So what's the plan?
                          -Create a diversion, rescue your friends, save the f***ing planet."

An okay B flick about a small Australian town during an alien invasion. As others noted, it's basically Red Dawn with aliens.

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                          Imo they should merge tv and film into one thread.
                          Well, I suppose you/we can since neither thread is as popular as they used to be and I don't think the mods are going to crack down on something like that. [And it's not my thread. I just happen to post here more than anyone else (apparently more than the rest of the board combined now).]
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 01-13-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• MST3K: The Terror from the Year 5000 (1958)

"It's the Shroud of Suzanne Summers!"

"And he likes to dress in men's clothes!"

Didn't have a film to watch on hand as usual, so once more took to YouTube to save my bacon at my dad's. I had wanted to watch Prince of Space but decided this film's title was more appealing (and meant it would be even wilder as an episode). We weren't disappointed.

A scientist and his brash non-scientist assistant are running experiments and eventually summon a small statue which they send to a museum curator the scientist knows. The statue is carbon dated (because that was the hot new thing then) to not exist for another three thousand years. This compels the curator to visit the lab where the assistant pushes things too far and summons another being from the future, which proceeds to cause havoc.

I won't lie, the basic idea of the film is good, time travel and temporal manipulation in general and the compounding ramifications of radiation on both man and nature, but the execution is once again heavily flawed (cliched writing mostly, but some of the performances are honestly not bad). The film also suffers in pushing the hell out of the love triangle, because the scientist's daughter is engaged to the assistant (even though he's a colossal dickhead the entire time we see him) but she is, for example, seated next to the curator in one scene and not her fiance, which is absurd beyond the realm of foreshadowing. There's also the pervy old groundskeeper angle, which is just dumb and I suppose the writers did that to both spice up the film/pad the run time and to make the audience feel less awful about him getting killed by the monster.

And as for the monster, she's an interesting sort. A disfigured woman, one of many in future leper colonies the normal people created to exile those born with radiation mutations. She needs fresh genetics to course correct her people but of course, the writers pushed a sketchy angle (she hypnotizes the assistant while exposition takes place, which the daughter points out as being dishonest and a sign she's evil). But that's just bad writing because we already see her bad blood, we see a dead mutated cat, so why demonize an innocent woman as a she-monster and lose focus of the film warning of unchecked scientific fallout? Because it's a 1950s monster flick just as much as it is a narrow-focus sci-fi flick. While the riffing by Mike and the Bots is hilarious, this is in my eyes just a moderately less entertaining This Island Earth: not a bad film but not a particularly great one, just okay at best.

But my dad did bust a gut at those two quoted jokes, and I got some good laughs too. Definitely worth checking out.

Comment

• G.I. Joe Retaliation (2013)

"Drive it like you stole it!
                              -As your good friend, you need a new catchphrase."

[Rifftrax:] Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009/2011)

"Harry Potter terms that sound absolutely filthy in isolation: parseltongue, splinching, Nimbus, Barty Crouch, Chocoballs, Griphook, Bagshot ..."

[Rifftrax:] Superargo and the Faceless Giants (1968/2016)

"Middle-School Gym Class: The Motion Picture."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                              MST3K: The Terror from the Year 5000 (1958) . . .
                              Didn't have a film to watch on hand as usual, so once more took to YouTube to save my bacon at my dad's. I had wanted to watch Prince of Space but decided this film's title was more appealing (and meant it would be even wilder as an episode). We weren't disappointed. . .
                              I know this makes me a fanboy, but I seriously don't dislike any MST3K episode. Even the weakest (for me, the early public-access ones) have some pretty funny bits and the riffs make even the films that would be unwatchable on their own (Red Zone Cuba; Robot Monster; Manos) well worth it. IMO, they got better (faster paced and more tightly written) as they went on, but the early stuff is worth it too.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Man the expanse is amazing. Anyone who likes sci-fi really should check it out. About to start season 4. Season 5 is currently airing on Amazon. This is probably the closest ill get to a live action Mass effect series
                                TazzMission
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by TazzMission; 01-04-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X