Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost of Tsushima came out tonight, and it's genuinely amazing.
    I've already decided to go for the platinum; it's that good.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Reached 100 (well, 104 or whatever, but I maxed it) for season pass, so now I'm being much pickier about which bounties I go after. Means I have more time for Banshee to hoard upgrade modules, enhancement cores and mod components, and to devote more time to Shadowkeep on my alts. Also helps that Beyond Light is delayed until November.

I got the Outlast pulse rifle, decent roll...and was not happy at all with it. Which really sucks because I love pulses and was looking forward to that one being in my collection. I'll hold onto it as I clear more shit from my vault.

Almost done the Matchbook catalyst, thank fucking Christ; Bungie really dropped the ball on that one. The Chaperone quest is almost done as well, I now need 15 Gambit Guardian kills so it looks like I'm going to have to step up my game.

Still looking to get a new headset (probably Astro, because I like this one I'm looking at, price is decent for refurbished by manufacturer, and Datto on YouTube has promoted them a lot over the years) and a new PS4 controller.

I'll send you a message/FR sometime this weekend.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• I'm debating getting the Disney Afternoon Collection on XBox One. It includes the '89-94 show-based NES games (Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers etc.).

For the next couple days it's on sale for $5, which seems a good price. The only reason I didn't do it is because I really don't want to charge more stuff this month and I don't have a lot of download space left.

Anyone have an opinion on those games? I remember Mike Matei saying good stuff about the Ducktales game.
        FDIT:
        I did it. It’s 6 of them for $5:33 and they’re only a dew dozen MB.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-19-2020, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Enjoy the bundle. I'm waiting for Aladdin/Lion King to go on sale again because it's been a couple months or more since I saw them on offer. I'll probably get Bloodborne tomorrow.

Finished the Matchbook quest...only to receive an incomplete catalyst that I now have to grind out. Thanks, Bungie. Bad enough the quest bugged out and removed itself and had to be patched, but to salt the wound the reissue was the exact same grind (exact length and everything, because the first version needed 400 points but the points were boosted to seem like less of a grind, but then the patched version had 100 points at a 1:1 ratio, meaning the entire quest line took twice as long as it should have).

At least I got the Vanguard emblem/shader from Zavala for the season, in the process discovering that I die usually once if not a handful of times during each attempt at A Garden World's nightfall even on adept difficulty (though I rack up a shitload of kills). I did complete that nightfall's special challenge (Minotaurs are not shielded more than 90 seconds or something). Also completed Toland's memory quest thanks to Escalation Protocol, which I've been again with public randoms (need several weapons and the helmet for my Hunter).

Going to try and grind out Interference, Savathun's Eyes, and a few other things tomorrow.

Comment

• Well, I ended up doing all sorts of things except for the Eyes.

1) Thanks to Parrylakks, did four successful Reckoning runs to upgrade my Gambit Synthesizer to mid-level. Reset is in two days and then I can enjoy another step forward on my Hunter. At the moment I'm trying to advance my alts to the same page (and complete the Gambit Prime quest to side with the Vanguard and complete the lore book).

2) Only need the Relic version of Interference and that triumph is complete. Also need the Taken Pyromaster from Contact and then I can get that Pyramid Ship emblem.

3) Got all 7 of Drifter's tapes. Depressing stories, although given that Toland's Ghost was also insane, I can't say I didn't see some of this coming.

(PS -- I love loading into a Prime match where the enemy Primeval is almost dead, barely any motes in our bank probably because of shitloads of blockers, and I'm the third and last player arriving).

(Also can't have more than one weak mote in my inventory at the same time, so I guess I have to do Reckoning on my Warlock first before I can synthesize a weak mote with my Titan).

Need to clear out my vault some more, got too much shit.

Comment

• Got through Act 1 of Ghost of Tsushima, and it's very much making a case to be heralded as the best game of this console generation. It's telling an amazingly emotional and gripping story with well developed interesting characters. Plus, it's gorgeous to look at, proving to be the first ever photo mode that I actually use, and I use it regularly. It's easily the best game I've played in a very long time.

Comment

• At Recaster rank 18, should hit 21 next week and then I can stop giving a damn about that thing (aside from related triumphs).

Finally beat the Taken Pyromaster in Heroic Contact in Io, so my Warlock has a new regular emblem. My Titan has one too, since I barely crawled through Adept-level Corrupted. Goddamn that strike is absolutely horrible as a nightfall, the enemies significantly stronger than before even at the lowest difficulty and in such immense numbers that it's frightening. The randoms on my team stuck with it until the end despite numerous wipes and the final score for us was a painful 3,000. I didn't even get a decent Horror's Least so I'm going to have to go in there again. I don't even want to begin to imagine doing it on harder settings.

I have the 3/100-cap nightfalls and 60 rocket kills remaining for that stage of the Truth quest. Still need to do Whisper.

I decided to use Jade Rabbit in Crucible to grind out its catalyst while doing bounties. The magazine is way too damn low for a scout rifle, but that aside I'm doing better than I feared and have had some surprise kills at times. Only 17 kills so far but I'll get there eventually.

Need to do the first Reckoning runs on my Titan and Warlock to complete that stage of their quests. Apparently I can't have more than one mote at a time so I'm going to have to slog through this back-to-back, and I haven't masterworked their weapons yet so that'll be for tomorrow to set myself up better. And also need to get the final level for my Hunter's synthesizer.

I did manage to complete last week's Ascended Challenge from Petra, and stunningly accomplished its time trial. I have the rest to do and I'll probably need to get a squad for them because I just know I'm in for a chore.

I downloaded Bloodborne since it had a "complete" bundle with the Old Hunters DLC for less than $20. I'm going to have a heckuva time working my way through all that but I intend to do it. (On a related note, Mortal Shell is looking good).

At some point I'll get back to Hitman 2.

Comment

• Finished Act 2 of Ghost of Tsushima tonight; insanely emotional. The writing for this game is really well done. I applaud it for some of the stuff it's pulled off already, and I've still got the final act to go.

Comment

• New headset (Astro A10, refurbished by manufacturer) arrived today and looks sexy with its red trim on the black plastic. Vendor on eBay had Xbox green, PS4 blue, PC red, Call of Duty olive drab, and Legend of Zelda black with gold logo/patterns. I almost got the Zelda one because it actually looked really nice but I'm not a serious Zelda fan so I chose to let someone else have a shot at getting a nice headset themed for something they love.

...The instructions that come with it are a medium-sized fold-out double-sided extravaganza. Shit you not, Astro gets points for having lots of language options to cover a wide range of buyers, but the number of diagrams is probably unnecessary (because it isn't that hard to do all this, aside from the split jack needed for some PCs due to audio card reqs). Gonna have to test this out over the weekend, but it'll at least be much comfier to wear than the previous model I used.

For Destiny 2, I cleared 5 heroic missions for EDZ and then cleared (again! because they inexplicably respawned) three missions on Mercury. Now I need Mercury and Io to become flashpoints again soon so I can complete those triumphs and never do them again. I need to start doing the 25 Survival matches, seriously, so I can be done with this quest.

Comment

• Well, I finished Ghost of Tsushima yesterday, and earned the Platinum trophy shortly thereafter, as I hadn't missed much for it. Absolutely fantastic game. I stand by the claim that it may very well be the best game of this console generation. My only complaint is that there isn't a New Game + option. I'm still gonna play it again, though; Kurosawa Mode beckons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        I'm debating getting the Disney Afternoon Collection on XBox One. It includes the '89-94 show-based NES games (Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers etc.).

For the next couple days it's on sale for $5, which seems a good price. The only reason I didn't do it is because I really don't want to charge more stuff this month and I don't have a lot of download space left.

Anyone have an opinion on those games? I remember Mike Matei saying good stuff about the Ducktales game.
                        FDIT:
                        I did it. It’s 6 of them for $5:33 and they’re only a dew dozen MB.
                        I picked this up for PS4 for the same price of $5.

The Ducktales games are fun. I think Chip and Dale and it's sequel were the only two player games. I didn't know there was a sequel and Tailspin was new for me also.

There was some slowdown here and there, not sure if it was the emulator or what, but it was kind of annoying. Otherwise it seemed a fair price for the content.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                          I picked this up for PS4 for the same price of $5.

The Ducktales games are fun . . .
                          It took me days to beat the first land (Amazon) in Ducktales. It's pretty hard. I'd get a section down then the next part would get me, I'd figure that out and have trouble with the first part again. Damn bees.

Comment

• Completed the Shadowkeep story with my Warlock, now I need to finish with my Titan. Of course, this doesn't include doing Forsaken, which will take a little while longer since I want to focus on other things right now.

Managing to do Heroic Contact much better now that I know the mechanics, but there isn't much point to doing it since I have the emblem and all three Interference types done. I only really did it multiple times today to grind out Cabal-on-Io kills for Invitations of the Nine.

Just got done the Savathun Eyes on Titan. I'll grind the rest of them out over this week.

Had another super-close call in Gambit Prime: enemy Primeval was down to a sliver of health, ours had a chunk left, and amazingly we managed to kill ours first. Other team must have been absolutely furious, especially since they repeatedly invaded with fairly good success.

After brief consideration and looking at the reqs, I'm probably going to aim for the Forerunner title as I have most of the Arrivals triumphs complete (only missing four, two of which are unknown).

I'm thinking about getting MK11 as it's bundled with Aftermath and the Kombat Pack for $42, but Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is also on sale. Payday this Friday can't come soon enough.

Comment

• Started Kurosawa Mode yesterday, and it's quite the experience. At times it really looks like one of his classic films, leaving me half expecting Toshiro Mifune to show up. I'm also noticing some things that I hadnt before, mostly little this, but some fairly central to the game. That's why it's always fun to play through games again -- noticing what you missed before. All in all, it's fun to go through it again, and at least I know which abilities matter to me this time around.

Comment

• Got my Warlock past the Reckoning first time step in the Gambit quest, and chose Vanguard over Drifter to finish unlocking the Aunor logs. Need to do my Titan next, but at least I can have both Hunter and Warlock do the daily Prime Civic bounties to hoard synths.

But hey, good news! Just a short bit ago I tried again at the 750 Corrupted Nightfall Ordeal and my teammates must have been packing serious weapons (one guy was using Sunshot, I'm damn sure of it) and it was not as difficult as last time. I used Ether Doctor in my kinetic slot so that I could use Riskrunner for mobs especially during the boss fight with those endless Taken Psion waves. We ended up with a score of 54k and I got the curated masterworked version of Horror's Least. (Don't got any dexterity mods right now so boost handling as Aztecross suggested so I'll have to keep an eye out for them).

Just finished the 10 Eyes on Mars for Effigy, though I'm dreading doing the ones on Io and Mercury (especially Io, because some are in the Whisper mission, which is bullshit, Bungie, as is putting them into the Prophecy dungeon). I will have just enough time tomorrow to do the 4 tier 2 Reckoning runs on my Hunter so that I can focus on collecting the Notorious armor sets.

Only need tomorrow's reset and next week's to have all the Wandering Nightmares for the Moon. Still need to do Pit of Heresy. Doing that and Prophecy flawless solo will definitely require a new controller.

I'll definitely need a new controller for Division 1 if I ever spare the time to go back to it.

Going to start grinding out the Survival matches this week. Doing the 20 bounties will be a bitch but mostly for time. Really need to finish the Edgewise, Truth, Malfeasance, and a few other random quests I've left incomplete.

Comment

Working...
                                X